1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are the majority Of baptist calvinist reformed or baptist In Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Do they take the sotierology aspect, and nothing else

Or would most take all aspects of Calvinism, and thus really be considered reformed?

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think most would affirm the concept of "once saved, always saved," but in a survey that asked, "Do you believe God preselected a certain number of individuals to be saved by irresistible/effectual means, leaving the rest in their fallen condition without hope of salvation?"...most would say 'no.'

3. JesusFan

Was referring to more IF majority takes all parts of being a Cal, including creeds/confessions/eschatology, or remain 'baptist" in those areas!

Think also if you were to poll and ask baptists who belive in 'free will" most would NOT agree with the statement that God cannot save anyone unless that person would permit/allow Him to!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not me, not Icono or Luke or JBH or Pinoy or The Archangel or Kyred or P4T or Anne or Jim 1999 of Tom B or Dr Bob or Aaron, Andy T, A puritan Mind, Astersktom, ReformedBaptist, Glfred, Calvibaptist, Old Regular, Old Union Bro, David Lamb, Martin (steve) Marprelate, Jarthur, Ruez, JD Etc Etc Etc .....my best Yule Brenner (both of us are skinheads..:thumbs:

I think what your trying to say Skan is that the folks that believe in Election are not in favor today, am I correct? Funny though, you can find it throughout Scripture. Id grow older showin it to ya. The very odd thing is that when Paul preached on Mars Hill he was a hero for preaching Election :love2:......now when Paul preached Resurrection he got run out as a idolater. How dare he....Cretin! :eek::mad:

Election was no problem with them but they could not handle the thought of life from the dead. Today, it’s the other way around...Resurrection? "Love It, Love It" Now Election? No way Jose. Tells ya something about Human Nature, don't it!

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're asking if Calvinist here on this board who claim to be Baptist really are, of course they are. I hate the fact that this would even be questioned.

Maybe you're not and I am reading too much into your question, but I am not a Calvinist and, to be honest, it's like asking, "If someone is a dispensationalist, are they really a baptist or are they just dispensationalist?"

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    since im new in the faith let me make sure I have this right.... soteriology (IE the theology of salvation) ....Both the question & the answer should somehow be framed around that word I'm thinking. Then Doctrines Of Grace is essentially our Theology anchor for Calvinistic & Reformed believers & bundled in it is Election, Predestination , Regeneration, Effectual calling , Repentance & Faith , justification, glorification, sanctification etc. I seriously think you need to study it more ......and again I suggest the paperback by James Montgomery Boice titled aptly, "The Doctrines Of Grace" This book would help you tremendously.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the book. It is a great theology of the Reformed doctrines. His soteriology made him a Calvinist. His ecclesiology made him a Presbyterian.

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I thought JesusFan was asking about what most Baptists believe about the Calvinistic view of election. Sometimes it's difficult to understand his questions because he rarely uses pronouns.

And I have no problem with election. It is a great biblical doctrine when correctly understood within context of the biblical revelation.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Most in the pews have little knowledge or exposure to "the confessions" or "creeds" save for the BFM.

I think Skandelon is correct, particularly with SBC Churches, the numbers who would be counted as "calvinists" in a survey would be highly dependent on how the survey choices were worded and presented. A relatively "small" population, from both sides of the aisle would recognize and respond to various linguistic nuances, most would most likely be unaware.

10. quantumfaith

EWF,

I did not read Skan's post as attempting to suggest that "election is not in favor today". I have never witnessed ANYONE in ANYWAY denying the doctrine of election. What I do see is many here who understand this doctrine differently than other brothers.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you recall who proofed the book? Pastor Albert N. Martin, er, Pastor of Trinity Baptist Church (40 yrs of service):thumbs:

Just put a sermon by Pastor Martin in the Tozer/ Calvinism Thread

TITLE: Sovereignty of God 16/17 Objections: Doesn't This Make Man a Puppet?; HyperCalvinism

#11 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry but sometimes his questions confuse me.... Thats why I elaborate (probably more than I should have)

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats interesting Dave....Then how do you learn about election in an SBC ? Do you learn about Predestination?

14. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I say this with love, but here is what goes on typically, persons discuss the same things over and over, repeating themselves, but if asked theological terms, if asked things a preacher is asked at ordination, even to ask what are the 10 commandments, in order, even those in church for years would fail miserably.

15. quantumfaith

You learn of it from the pulpit, from Sunday Morning Bible Study, from Sunday Evening Bible Study etc.

16. JesusFan

was asking among those Baptists here who are cals...

Would you hold to "all" of it as a system? the sSotierology/eschatology/sacramental/Creeds/Confessions , really reformed in theology?

or "just " reformed as to the 4/5 points of Tulip ONLY , with rest baptist as in pre Mil , baptisms etc!