1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are their current forum members who would like to discuss the Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Sep 18, 2009.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If your point is to complain that in Lev 11 God forbids the eating of rats, cats, dogs and bats as well as forbidding the eating of clean animals that die of disease and also forbids ripping the limbs off of living animals and eating them in Deut 12:23 as if "Hey look God said lots of things -- if you want to get out of doing what God's Word said - then you need to be careful to toss His Word out the window" -- then fundamentally - you need to find a Bible principle that says "toss God's Word out the window if you want to ignore what He said and get away with it".

By contrast in Matt 5 Christ said that anyone who teaches others to ignore the least part of the Word of God - would be under a curse.

I just don't see how this is making your case "better".

in Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1050 commands of God in the New Testament
    http://www.puritan-books.com/books/pdf/new_testament_commands.pdf

Well - that means we have another part of God's word "sailing out the window" because of the "too many commands" rule where 613 is "exceeding the limit" for what man can accept from God.

One huge problem - that made up rule is just not a Bible principle -

By contrast in John 14 we have "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments"
    In 1Cor 7:19 "But what matters is KEEPING God's Commandments"
    In Rev 14 the saints are descrived as those who "KEEP God's Commandments".

Imagine if the Bible had been written to say "the saints are those who toss out God's Word trying to find a way to IGNORE God's Commandments and get away with it".

in Christ,

Bob

#62 BobRyan, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    Until now a days Christianity came along and told us, no more 613 commandments, just the one, Thou shalt keep Sunday, then you're OK.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    No fine; now I clearly see your point. It is good!
    Jesus Christ is now the embodiment of all the Laws of the OT, whether against unbelievers' malpractices or for believers good practices. That's how I see it; the Christian no longer needs the Law except to magnify Christ the Law of God. But when the Christian magnifies the Law instead of Christ, he's got things the wrong way.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, there is the doctrine you brought up in another thread. That is if the Holy Spirit has not personally convicted a person that the written command should be honored then they are not held accountable for what they have read in God's Word.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I have said about Catholics that worship using images - but are not aware that they are violating the Law of God "to him that knows to do right and does it not - to him it is sin" James 4:17 applies.

It is the Holy Spirit's job to "convict the world of sin and righteousness and judgment". It is our job to share the Word of God with our neighbor.

BTW did you happen to catch that world net daily news article above?

in Christ,

Bob

8. billwald

billwald New Member

If God did not give us clearer instruction in our official hand book then it must not be important to God.

BTW, I always found work more restful than a house full of kids.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did you have time to check out that news article?

If so - what did you think of it?

in Christ,

Bob

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I tried, but it would not load, maybe my dial up has something to do with it.

:jesus:

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lots of picture in that article -- let me see what I can do

==============

'Deception': Christians war over worship day
    Centuries-old clash continues over disputed commandment

Posted: March 16, 2008
    5:24 pm Eastern
    By Joe Kovacs
    © 2010 WorldNetDaily

I am deleting the rest of this because it looks like they do not want it copied.

#71 BobRyan, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    deleted by me

#72 BobRyan, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    deleted by me

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "'Deception': Christians war over worship day
    Centuries-old clash continues over disputed commandment" meanwhile those who really are in control laugh behind the screen. Because they, control, the 'Law of God' supposed to be: They simply write it with their own finger, and all Christianity say Amen! If I were to honoustly believe 'The Bible' to the 'New Versions' I would be a Sunday-keeper and no one on earth would be able to Prove me wrong from the Bible 'and the Bible only' OR 'THE LAW ONLY' --- because 'The Bible' is no longer The Bible, but man's - Sunday-resurrection-believers' - 'Bible'. And the Seventh-day Adventists are as 'brother in the Faith' AS ANY.

#74 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  15. billwald

billwald New Member

Eric Liddle was a fanatic. He had no business participating in the first place. I am highly irritated when they sign on for something, anything, that requires working on a specific day of the week and then demand that everyone else bow to their demands.

SEcond, the dispute is not centuries old. It is a 19th century phenomenon.

Third, not one of the 613 statements claim jurisdiction over gentiles in Chicago except those referring to the Noahic Covenant.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ther article I am talking about was not written by Eric Liddle -
    http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57978

It was written by By Joe Kovacs -- [SIZE=-1]© 2010 WorldNetDaily [/SIZE]

There is a one sentence statement in Kovac's article stating -
    But the article does not even go into that story - it just makes a side reference to the fact that it happened.

Second - if you think that the dispute over the Ten Commandments and over the 4th commandment in particular suddenly came up in the 19th century - you need to spend some more quality time with church history.

Seventh-day Baptists - In 1665, Stephen and Anne Mumford carry the seventh-day Sabbath to the New World.

The edict of Milan 313 A.D is an example of an early assault on Sabbath keeping among Christians.

Too much material to post - but imagining that nothing happened until the 19th century seems like a pipe dream. ;)

I recommend reading the details in that article before leaping to wild conclusions.

in Christ,

Bob

#76 BobRyan, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There's much true in Billwald's remark; he denies none of those 'old' controversies - some you have mentioned, BobRyan, are NOT 'Sabbath-contorversies' at all, like Constantine's edict.

And Billwald is absolutely right. It was a theme much played on by the SDAs themselves that the 'revival' so to speak of the 'Sabbath-truth' was a world-wide phenomenon in the nineteenth century. Don't try and deny it here. THIS CONTROVERSY SET IN MOTION THE ATTEMPTS MADE WORLD-WIDE TO CHANGE THE SCRIPTURES in the relevent texts like Mt28:1--- a 'movement' heartily joined by the SDAs. I see they use the NIV in their SSLessons on internet, e.g..

I dare the SDA Church to start a 'Quarterly' on the subject! I guarantee they NEVER WILL!

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By the buy; there is an atom bomb going to explode in the SDAChurch this 'Easter-weekend' in South Africa, 'Sedaven' near Heidelberg in the old Transvaal, 'Camp Meeting 2010'-- a spiritual one, just in case they interpret things wrong in this land of ours nowadays. I would not like to be arrested for political unrest; I pray to be God's crocodile in my old age - that one in Job 37 I think that goes under but with the waters raging white like the grey hair of an old man. I hope to stir the waters and rock the boat and turn it over with the help of exactly THESE Scriptures the SDA are participating in to corrupt and manhandle so holily going for two centuries.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    hmm - apparenly - my point "remains".

No challenges in fact to what I stated?

none?

Surely there is an argument to be posted.

in Christ,

Bob

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I see history, the Sabbath 'got lost' for virtually ever, ever after short intervals of Divine intervention during which the Sabbath manifested as God's special day of work to save. So did the Sabbath disappear into oblivion after the apostles and perhaps had been observed here and there by some legalistic enthusiasts ever since. Such recurrence of the Sabbath happened in the nineteenth century; the Sabbath was 'rediscovered' for exactly the Jewish Sabbath it has remained all these centuries by Christians also. "The Law the Law" .... familiar words to every SDA. "As dry as the hills of Gilboa"; another well known phrase to the Sabbatharians.

Christ declared Himself the Light of the world; Jesus Christ is the Light that shines through the whole Word of God; He can only not be the Light of the Sabbath. Because the Law is the light upon and from within the Sabbath. O Father, I thirst! Let me die! Go read those chapters in Ezekiel 44 to 46 thereabouts about the water that flows from the throne of God; and read the Sabbath mentioned also in the context .... for what it may be worth .... I'm so tired ....

#80 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010