1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there any saved catholics?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Precepts, Feb 14, 2004.

1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I will have to go back and reread it. I always avoid a good discussion on theology. :rolleyes:

3. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Daniel you don't owe me anything I just feel that you should not stand and chide others for not answering when you have failed to answer. IMO I feel that your problem is making blanket statements and then not being able to prove them biblically.
    Murph

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Exactly.
    It depends on where the individual Catholic puts his/her trust. Also, perhaps one attending the Catholic church is seriously questioning church dogma and is looking to God for the truth.
    Now Daniel David is correct, the Catholic church is wroth with false doctrine; and Jesus Himself said, "In VAIN do they worship me, teaching for doctrine the commandments of men." If the Catholic's trust is in Mary, sacraments, traditions, or whatever, they are not saved. If their trust is in the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice, that is another matter.
    When it is asked, "Are there any saved Catholics," that is really an impossible question to answer, because, we would have to be God to know every heart and mind of every Catholic.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"if Catholics accept lock, stock, and barrel the salvific dogmas of the RCC, then they can't possibly be Christians."
    Most don't. The standard of theological knowledge among the RC community at large is extremely low. And among the ones who are in the know it is often something of a sport to disagree with the partyline on all sorts of stuff.

"We were never part of the Great Whore and never came out of the Great Whore in protest - we are Bible Believing Baptists."
    Well...
    Often Christianity is divided in 2 branches. Western Christianity and Eastern Christianity. Those 2 are sub-divided again in 2 branches.
    WC into Catholicism and Protestantism, EC into Eastern-Orthodoxy and Oriental-Orthodoxy.

"(which I will admit begs the question, "Then why are they still in the RCC?")"
    Because Catholicism is not about dogma's it's a feeling. And that's why believing all the ins and outs of Catholic theology is not all that relevant when it comes to the question:"Is that person Catholic?"

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a former Catholic, a cradle Catholic.
    I was saved reading a Douay-Rheims Bible.
    After reading the OT I knew I was in big trouble.
    In the Gospel of John I heard and believed the voice of Jesus Christ, that evening in my barracks He gave me eternal life.

Being a cradle Catholic I went back to the Church of Rome. That began a two year "dialogue" with Roman Catholic theology and their spokesmen.
    there were several dogma issues which the priests could not scripturally justify accept to say that the Tradition of the Church was on an equal par with the Word of God and must be believed in order to remain a Catholic in good standing.

I tried to believe this and go through the motions of Catholicism but I honestly couldn't so I left. After another couple of years of study of the Word of God, my wife (a former Mormon) and I were baptised together at Tremont Temple Baptist Church in Boston.

Yes, I believe many members of the Church of Rome are indeed saved but, as someone has said, in spite of the Church. I believe they know the truth but can't/won't admit it.

I will say this, all the while I was Catholic, I knew within my heart that my only hope was Jesus Christ.

HankD

7. Precepts

Precepts New Member

You two performed right on key. I asked for Scripture or at the very least, a refutation of my points. Neither happened. Whoa, who wouldda seen dat one cummin'?

1. Then they aren't catholic. That is catholic theology. If the person disagrees, they aren't catholic. Helllllloooooooo.

Do you agree with mormon theology? Oh, well you might still be a mormon. Yeah, makes lotsa sense.

2. Actually, I believe only those who believe the Scriptural requirements for salvation are actually saved. Catholics reject them, so they aren't saved. It would be arrogance if I made them up. Fortunately, I use Scripture to defend my positions.

3. Still trying to imagine an adult put these lines together. :rolleyes:

4. Still trying...
    </font>[/QUOTE]We both know the scripture, and we both know why we're Baptists, I think, I know I do anyway,
    ;) but you have been the one to dodge the question of whether or not you actually read the scenario of the initial post. Please don't tell me this is going to turn into another one of those... again?

8. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Now if we could get you straightened out on the KJB you might finally reach sinless perfection. ;) [​IMG]

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two questions:
    Have you reached it?
    Who is "we"?

HankD

10. Precepts

Precepts New Member

No.

You know.

11. Orvie

Orvie New Member

we= Precepts and qs :eek:

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Precepts/QS.

No I don't know who "we" is/are.

One thing I do know.

You seem to have a full time position here at the BB.

HankD

13. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Seems my time has somehow become important to you, Hank. Do you care to run with me one day dn see how little I actually do in a days time? Or is it your usual way of showing a distaste for me?

I sue wish you had of been with me yesterday as I crawled underneath my house, unstopped the drain line, went outside, dug the septic tank plugs up and broke loose the slug, realized the drain field was saturated and pulled my trencher around back, dug a relief drain for the drain field, ran my trenchwer out of diesel, went to town and got more diesel, cleaned out the fuel filters, plural, got my trencher running again, washed all the slimy red mud off my trencher, came in the house and realized in the process the shower in our master bath had overflowed while we were running water to try and flush out the still clogged drain,dried up all the water that had also flooded our closet, took the hall bath toilet up, put it back after realizing the problem was outside, made about 10 posts in BB, witnessed to three people in town, handed out some tracts at the gas station, studied some more on Pslam 27 to be prepared to preach in Lancaster, SC Wednesday night, took a bath in the process, had to miss church last night because of the septic tank, now I conme in here to BB and find my good old friend Hank trying to suggest something amiss.

Now, would you also like for me to list how many times I went to the bathroom, what I taught in SS, what I opened service with, what song I led in opening,(Just Over In The Gloryland, page 248 in the Red back Hymnal) what I ate after church with my family, stopped and hugged each and every member of my home,( more than once) even petted our two cats and wrestled with my son's dog in the front yard and if I wasn't tired of having to try and justify myself to you, I would tell you how I spent the rest of my day. [​IMG]

So? Are there any saved catholics in your opinion, or are you just bent on stirring up a stink?

14. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Perhaps Hank was complimenting you on your ability to live your evidently busy life and still have time to post here so often .

In spite of our differences I appreciate a good plumber. The last plumber I called out to my residence was digging through the raw sewage in my back yard. While he was doing this I told him that I didn't know what he was being paid, but it wasn't enough. Thank God for a good worker who is not afraid of getting his hands dirty.
    [​IMG]

15. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Perhaps, Terry, but this isn't the first time Hank has made this remark, but I will say this time it is less accusational up front.

I do hope you tipped the poor guy digging around in the sewage. If people would realize the risk of infection while performing what they so often view a s remedial taks for the , less eduacted, they might learn to have the same appreciation you exhibited here. I thank you for having that amount of respect for your local plumber, we stand on the butt end of many slanderous and demeaning types of "humopur'. I know one plumber who has this slogan: "If it weren't for your plumber, you would have to keep going to the woods." ;)

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already gave my opinion.
    So much for my "sinless perfection".

But, as to "stirring up a stink" I must admit that I have recently had some good teachers.

[​IMG]

Chill out my paranoid brother. No need to publish your diary on the BB.

HankD

17. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker New Member

If there are no "real" Christians in the RCC, who is God speaking to in Rev.18,4-5?

"Then I heard another voice from Heaven say: 'Come out of her my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues; for her sins are piled up to Heaven, and God has remembered her crimes.'"

If every Roman Catholic is damned because they can not articulate the simple hope in Jesus emplanted within some of them into complex theologically accurate, precise terminology, then I could be in big trouble too..and so could you my brother.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Are there any saved catholics?

There are several Catholics who participate on this board, and clearly they're saved. (their testimonies and fruits are abundant proof of that).

As for Catholicism in general, the percentage of saved folks in the pews is probably about the same as the percentage of saved folks in Baptist pews. Only the arrogant Baptist presumes that most members of his church are saved, and only the holier-than thou Baptist presumes that most members of his church aren't.

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Johnv said "As for Catholicism in general, the percentage of saved folks in the pews is probably about the same as the percentage of saved folks in Baptist pews"

That is PATENTLY ABSURD Johnv and you know it. Laughable if I didn't think you truly believed that.

ALL RC churches teach a false doctrine and false salvation. At least most Baptist churches teach the truth.

Percentage genuinely saved?

I would think 5% faithful Catholic AT THE MOST, while probably 50% + for faithful evangelicals (including Baptists).

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're allowed to believe what you like, and I can respect that. However, I challenge you to go the the "All Christians" forum and tell the Catholics there, by name, that they're not saved. I'm not ready to do that. In fact, such an action would be contradictory to biblical teachings. I'd rather have a humble Christian spirit and be wrong, and have a pharasaical spirit and be right.

Now, I know a great many Catholics. I can assuredly report that nearly all of them are saved. As for the Catholics on this board, they all bear the fruits of saved persons, and I have no reason to think otherwise.