1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there Apostles Today?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, May 28, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I ask because there are many ministers who call them selves apostles. Thoughts?

2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I do not think that there are any apostles in the same sense as in the New Testament-era church.

A lot of people make this claim because they want people to unquestioningly accept what they say as if from a New Testament-era apostle.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In Acts, when they selected Matthias to replace Judas, one of the qualifications was that he must have seen Jesus alive after the resurrection. Paul claimed his apostleship on the basis that he had seen the resurrected Jesus and had been directly called and taught by him.

They're all dead.

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Scripture please???? Thanks!!! :wavey: I want to read up on this, because I know a few who call themselves apostles.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree with Tom,an apostle is one who has seen the resurected Christ, I found these verses, they may not be the ones he had in mind though.

Acts 1: 21 "Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."
    23And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24And they prayed and said, "You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen 25to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place." 26And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

1Cor. 9:1 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2If I am not an apostle to others, yet doubtless I am to you. For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, for the reasons cited by all the others. Their successors, however, are alive and well and ministering to Christ's flock as he intended...

7. Hebron

Hebron New Member

I would sy as the others but just to add the twelve were chosen by Jesus

8. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

So why do so many call themselves Apostles, Prophete's and stuff?

9. Just Andrew

Just Andrew New Member

Control freaks

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" (1Tim.2: 5).

"Modern-day" "apostles claim that we can only receive the Holy Spirit when they lay hands on us ("the laying on of hands"), making themselves mediators between Christ and man.

A doctrine which seems to me to be a control thing.

Just Andrew.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

There is a reason that the 12 Apostles are in the foundation of New Jerusalem. They had the unique authority to give doctrine that the Church should be built upon. Now as I understand it those names seem to be sealed in Gold.
    Revelation 21:14
    14And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

I do not think that God will allow me or any other persons a chisel to inscribe our names there, do you?

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, there are some. However, all mainstream Christian churches --- from Catholics to Lutherans to Methodits to Baptists to Presbyterians to Episcopalians (and the list goes on) all agree on this one --- no current apostles.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member