1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there Catholics and Orthodox that are practicing and saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a varied opinion here about these churches. I'm wondering what people thing with regard to this. Can a person still be Catholic or Orthodox (not leaving their church) and be saved? Why or why not?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yes!

Otherwise one would have to say that salvation is only possible once one has 'left' such churches, which would rule out most of the early great Reformers, such as Wycliffe, Erasmus, Calvin, and Luther, just for starters.

Ed

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Save for Erasmus didn't the others leave the Catholic Church?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Only Calvin effectively left willingly, of the four ('fleeing' to Switzerland)! The other three, either did not in the cases of Erasmus and Wycliffe (although he did manage to posthumously have his bones dug up and get the remains burned (along with all his works they could find), be declared as a heretic, and have the ashes dumped into the river 30 years after the fact), or got 'booted' (in the case of Luther) which do make a small difference, IMO.

Accomplishing so much after being dead for a quarter of a century was quite a feat for John Wycliffe, I'd say. :D

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wycliffe didn't and Luther didn't want to; he was excommunicated.

[cp with EdSutton]

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes - I know many including members of my own family who are both in the Catholic Church and who love the Lord Jesus.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know some who are Catholic and Christian. I also know others who are Orthodox and Christian.

Also others who are Methodist, Anglican, Presbyterian, Episcopalian & Lutheran and Christian.

And others still who are Baptist and Christian.

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Can one beleive that Christ death burial and resurection is not enough to cover their sins and be a Christian?

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Before the foundation of the world GOD chose those whom HE would Save through the LORD JESUS CHRIST. It would be presumptuous of anyone to set limits on whom HE would save.

10. historyb

historyb New Member

No, the RCC believes we must work for heaven. The only way is by Faith in Christ

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. You don't have a relationship with Christ based on your church attendance.

12. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

My Bible does not have anything about a follower of Jesus Christ being made or unmade a Christian based upon where s/he is on Sunday mornings.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

'Zackly!!

Ed

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So how then do you explain that I have two uncles who are Catholic priests and yet who love the Lord Jesus as their Lord and Saviour?

15. billwald

billwald New Member

God can save anyone in Christ Jesus. Regeneration precedes conversion. What kind of a god would send people to Hell for misinterpreting historical data?

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

What is there to explain? The question is simple: Do they affirm and believe what the Catholic church teaches? IF they do, then they are not saved; they don't love the Lord JEsus and their Lord and Savior.

Bringing personalities into it is always a bad thing because it clouds the issue. God gave us revelation to konw the truth, not uncles (or aunts or neighbors or anybody else).

Nobody goes to hell for misinterpreting historical data. They go to hell for rejecting Jesus Christ as the sole basis for salvation and trusting in something else, no matter how good they might be, or how historical their belief might be.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As a new Christian I remained in the Catholic for two years before leaving it.
    Thus it is possible for one to be a Catholic and a Christian at the same time.
    There came a point in my growth as a Christian when I fully understood the doctrine of salvation according to the Word, and in contrast to the Bible.
    At that point I was forced to make a decision. Follow the Bible or follow the RCC. One cannot serve two masters.

I do not believe that those individuals who have a grasp of salvation, and a grasp of the teachings of the Catholic Church and claim to follow both are saved. You must decide. It is the same as claiming to be a Muslim and a Christian at the same time. It is impossible. You must decide. You are either one or the other.

18. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

The vast majority of Catholics are good saved people.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I came out of the Catholic Church; was saved when I was 20. For 20 years I never heard the gospel even once (I mean a gospel message; not a reading from a gospel). A religion of works does not save, but sends people to Hell.
    On what basis do you make your statement?

20. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

When you were a Catholic who did you pray to? Catholics believe in Christ, they are our brothers in Christ. To the degree that they are in error they are no less fellow brothers in Jesus.

John 1:12
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.