1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there now 2 IFB's

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It seems to me after reading on the Bible tranlations BB that there is no longer one group of IFB or like minded or similar minded.There are the KJV IFB'ers and the rest most of which seem to be KJV preferred but accept NSASB,NIV,ESV,RSV,and what most others accept as accurate tranlations.
    If there are not two different IFB's there certainly seems there aught to be. I for one would not want to be known as a KJV 4 or 5 as posted on Dr. Bob's explanation of KJV'ers.It seems to me by the time you get into the KJV 4 or 5 mode things get highly dogmatic , you must check your brains at the door, and follow blindly the leaders of this movement.

Am I seeing this right?

Now that I understand who and what Ruckman was I would certainly wish to distance myself from his type of thinking.

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

They do seem to be incredibly fractured even over one publication of the KJV Bible to the next.

I think what has happened is that a number of them have studied the KJVO doctrine online or in another place and come to the opinion that it is incorrect resulting in the IFB churches that use modern versions. I am only assuming that 50 years ago the KJV would have been more popular than today in the whole IFB movement.

Just to make things interesting, I have read that another type of IFB church is the Landmark Baptist. One lot I dont know a great deal about though.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree that there is a clear distinction in groups, but only ONE Fundamentalism.

Historic ifb (think 1890-1970) all held the same evangelical belief and many were either very militant and separatist about it or more moderate.

Pseudo ifb or psycho-ifb have changed the fundamentals to include legalistic standards and KJVO (#4-5) and then CLAIM to be "fundamentalist". They are rabid and dogmatic in NON-biblical beliefs, based on the traditions of their leaders.

They are NOT fundamentalists (hey, they openly admit denying the first fundamental!), adding to the Word of God and holding unbiblical beliefs.

Please don't get us real fundies mixed up with THAT crowd!

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dr. Bob,
    I don't have real fundies mixed up with that group.I'm just saying it appears to me the ARE two different IFB's,they should seperate from each other because right now when one looks for a Real Fundamental Baptist Church in the IFB the chances are only 50/50 of getting it right.I don't know maybe they Real Fudies would use something like Independant Fundamental Bible Baptists IFBB.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have noticed a small trend among baptistic independent fundamentalists.... They drop the "Independent Fundamental Baptist" label in favor of "Independent Fundamental Bible" church.

I am in the same boat with you Bill. We have moved around some and am forced to ask where a church stands on Bible versions and other extra-biblical standards before trying it out.

6. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I have noticed that this second group, as Dr. Bob states, has laid stake to their claim as the "Fundamentalists." The KJVO position is thought to be a foundational belief that has "always been" a position for Bible-believing Baptists... while we know this is not true, issues such as this and other legalistic tendencies have become the supposed tenets of "Fundamentalism." This is evident from the number of times the phrase "Independent, Fundamental, King James Only, Bible Believing Baptist" appears on our members' profiles.

God bless!

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About four years ago I was given a subscription to the "Sword of the Lord" paper. Everyother issue they had "church ads" for 100+ big name churches. I looked them over.

Horrified when I saw how many in their public ads put "AV1611" (like they use that!!) or "KJV".

But just saw another issue and happened to look at the ads - only 3 or 4 instead of a great number mentioned that.

Maybe shame setting in? Or maybe still believe that schizmatic doctrine but don't want to be public about it . . .

8. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I have the latest Sword right in front of me, dated March 12, Clarence Sexton is one of the preachers featured on the front page (his sermon, that is). This particular issue does not feature churches, but IFB Colleges. I counted 21 colleges, with "KJV" listed in the ads of 5 of them. Many school's position are well known, even though not listed in their ad: Crown, PCC, Shawnee, International (Long Island), etc

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since WWII, the movement has spilt twice before. The first time was with the rise of Neo-Evangelicalism in the late 40s. The second was in the late 70s-early 80s with the rise of Pseudo-fundamentalism. Each of these was based on trying to take the "rough" edge off of Fundamentalism.

Now, this. And the KJVO school of thought is trying to add a rougher edge.