1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are there rules in the old testament which are rather unnecessary?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 30, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I read a thread in one forum where an atheist made fun of the bible and of the old testament rules or advice or whatever you want to call this. Unfortunately I don't have the exact verses but he was talking about advice for the jewish people which told them how to behave when they go on the toilet. That they have to wash their hand afterwards and that they mustn't defecate near the water because then bacteria or germs might get into the water and cause sickness. Somehow it's really a bit strange, isn't it? I mean such things should be pretty logical and clear. Everybody with a sound mind should know that you wash your hands after going to the toilet and the stuff with the water should also be clear. Then why did God have to tell them this stuff? His argument was basically that the function of religious rules is the codification of knowledge which humans have gained and which doesn't come from God because God isn't needed to find out that washing your hands after going to the toilet is good.
    What do you say about this?
    In one class at the university we once talked about something similar. That people are always trying to create special knowledge which allows them to become experts or "priests" which distinguishes them from the majority of people. and besides those priests there are also the "prophets" which aren't orthodox but which create new rules and when the professor talked about this he referred to Jesus and quoted "you were told, but I tell you..." making Jesus look like an anarchrist or a revolter.
    But somehow this whole stuff isn't really wrong. I mean you can clearly see it on the catholic church that the priests are trying to distinguish themselves from the masses and they do they through their special knowledge, this is what gives them those privileges. Without their knowledge they would be normal people like the rest. What if these rules which are supposed to be from God aren't even from God and some jews made them up and then told the others they are from God?

#1 xdisciplex, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

What have OT rules to do with gentile Christianity?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wasn't there a silly rule about stoning anyone that was not discipled properly?

:saint:

:type:

4. genesis 12-15

genesis 12-15 New Member

Are you an American student in Germany, xdx? You'll have to be careful in those schools! They are 99% atheist or agnostic. They can talk about "people creating special knowledge," but the thing they are missing is that God created them and longs to see them in Heaven. They are missing out on the greatest story ever told.

p.s. Since "rules" are in the OT, what do they have to do with Christians today?

#4 genesis 12-15, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no law in the bible, that for its particular time in God's plan for mankind, was unnecessary. God doesn't not make unnecessary law.

It is unfortunate for you that you are taking your information about the Old Testament from atheists and secular people and not reading it for yourself.

You have stated, (to some degree), that you are a christian. Yet, you have written hundreds of questions shedding doubt on God's word and you have not (that I have seen) ever expressed a passage from the bible that is meaningful to you or that you gain peace and comfort from. I have asked you to share those many times and you have ignored the question every time.

You would think that after the many times that I have gone to great lengths to answer your long and drawn out questions that you would answer my simple one.

Is there any scripture that you ground yourself spiritually on? Any scripture that you love to read and find God's peace in?

Anyway, even if you never come back and read any of this, I will answer it so that maybe someone else will have a better understanding.

The Old Testament is the Old Covenant. It's purpose was to show people that they were sinners and were in need of a Savior. Part of that purpose was to show people that they could not save themselves because no one could or can keep the entirety of the law perfectly. Mankind is just not able to do that. It still serves that purpose today, even though we are not required to obey most of those laws. It still shows us our imperfections.

The Old Testament law can be divided into three categories.

• Civil Law - These laws were specific to the nation of Israel just like the United States has laws specific unto itself. The laws about mixing the material for clothing, what to do about moldy items, and other such laws most definitely served a purpose. We read about them today, but are not under any obligation to obey them at all.
    • Ceremonial Law - These laws explained how to sacrifice animals and how to approach the priests and what priests were supposed to wear. These laws definitely served a purpose for Israelites at the time. We do not observe the ritual sacrifices today because Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world. However, we read them with interest and can kind find representation of the sacrifice of Jesus in some of them. Read Leviticus 14. That whole passage is a type of Christ. It foreshadows the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus and gives a beautiful symbolism of what Jesus did for us. Though God placed these ceremonial laws in His word, we, as christian do not observe them.
    • Moral Law - The spirit of these laws transcend the Old Testament into the New and beyond. The 10 commandments and the laws pertaining to incest and other relations between human being are incorporated into our belief systems as christians and even into our civil laws of the day. There is definitely a moral structure or code that transcends time, culture, and eternity. It was a sin to murder someone and it still is. Lying, adultery, and idolatry are still sins. These laws, or at least the essence or spirit of them still prevail today, even with christians.
    As I said earlier, there was not one request God made of His people in the Old Testament that was frivolous or unnecessary. They may not apply to christians today, but they served a great purpose, whether is was to preserve the life of people by observing hygiene laws or to keep illness down by not eating blood or certain shellfish.......it all served a purpose. To show that humanity cannot create itself nor save itself.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good post Scarlett --

How interesting that those posting before you - have admitted to a "Bad Bible" idea when it comes to scripture and even a "God had bad ideas" doctrine when it comes to scripture.