1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are these pictures of Noah's Ark?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Apr 29, 2010.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Others believe that if Noah's Ark were really on the gale-force-winds dominated "shoreless ocean" of a world-wide flood - it would have been "crushed to splinters".

Many beliefs -- I am simply waiting to see how much more is learned when they do more excavation of that wooden struction at the 12000 ft level of Ararat.

in Christ,

Bob

2. NathanAlan

NathanAlan New Member

I cannot tell you with any degree of sureness what this structure is or how it got there, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that this structure is not Noah's Ark. First, note that the Bible does not say the Ark landed on a mountain called Ararat. Rather, Genesis 8:4 states: "In the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat (NASB)."

There is a plurality of mountains mentioned in the Scriptures, and as I understand it, the singular Ararat in Turkey wasn't even named so until a much later date than Noah (from what I understand it could not have been earlier than the 11th Century AD - a considerable time gap). Further, there is no evidence from the Scriptures that the Ark rested anywhere near Turkey. In fact, there is a clear indication otherwise. The Bible tells us that the survivors of the flood journeyed "from the east," then settled in the land of Shinar (more commonly known as the region of Babylon). "It came about as they journeyed east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there." -Genesis 11:2 (NASB)

The mountain in question does not fit the description provided in Genesis. It is simply in the wrong location.

-NathanAlan

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Moses was writing about 1500 B.C. - don't know what they called that mountain in 1500 B.C - was it "Ararat"? Who knows?

Here is a little snippet I found on History.com

Another source offers this commentary -

#23 BobRyan, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010