1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Today's Christians Becoming Wimps?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 30, 2005.

1. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

What's the word "DARN" mean?

2. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Webster understands it this way:to repair by sewing or to piece together!

And you guys say that I don't know how to spell!!

Please say what you mean it your heart!!!!!!!!!!

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

It's, southern, samplewow.

4. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

We are many here equating "wimp" with someone who won't tote a gun? I live in an area where hunting is very popular and go to church with many men who own weapons, shoot, and hunt. However, watching some of these men (not all) and how they treat their wives and lead their families, I would label them "wimp" in a second no matter how many guns they own.
    I won't go into detail because I think it would derail the thread, and I don't have time to start another one, but my answer to the OP would be yes, but not in the context of weapon toting and what is being discussed here.
    Also, I am pro-weapon and hunting for food, but I would not agree with retaliation for persecution of my faith.
    In conclusion, IMO, a gun-toting Christian does not automatically a "non-wimp" make.

5. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

well, this is another way Webster defines the word darn:euphemism for DAMN[the curse].

I don't think you should use this word on the board!!!!

6. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

That's how it's used in the rest of the world.

7. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Quoted by Samplewow:
    "That's how it's used in the rest of the world."

Here are a few definitions of "wimp" from Dictionary.com The word seems to cover more than the weapons context.

wimp

A person who is regarded as weak or ineffectual: “the impression that he is a colorless, indecisive wimp, and not a leader among men” (James J. Kilpatrick).

intr.v. wimped, wimp·ing, wimps
    To be timid or cowardly. Usually used with out: wimped out and refused to jump off the high diving board.

wimp

n 1: a person who lacks confidence, is irresolute and wishy-washy [syn: chicken, crybaby]

8. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Ha,
    PamelaK

WRONG GUY
    I'M talking about a different word here .

go back and read.

9. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I apologize, Samplewow. I thought you were responding to the first question in my post.

10. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

That's OK :D

I was talking about the foul mouth that my mom would have washed with soap! :rolleyes:

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Samplewow,

I never looked at the word that way. I never equated it with damn. But I'll not use it anyomore. I went back through the thread to see what you had contributed to the conversation. You have not contirbuted anything except to pick on my spelling, or define darn, or whatever you are doing. It seems to me you are just trying to cause trouble. I don't know why someone would do that, not contribute anything to the conversation but step in and cause trouble. Perhaps you should do what you suggested on your first post on this thread. Stop and pray! I used the word, which I don't consider a cuss word, to add emphesis to a point that is very important. Please stop trying to cause trouble.

I guess the concern you tried to express in this tread below about bickering does not apply to your own actions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "WOW,a thread that asks why do we Christians bicker all the time . I have the answer to this question. lack of respect for the LORD Jesus christ, or selfishness.

Samplewow said- "Lack of love for our Christian Brother!!!! " ------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ October 01, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Bunyon ]

12. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

I am sorry if it seems this way to you that is not my intent.

I'VE not said much on this tread because it seems to me that there has been a lack of love here.

my intent was to point out that you folks should act like you are Christians , not bar brawlers.

13. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Samplewow,

You had me a little confused there. If you will look over my post in this thread, I don't think you will see me as a brawler. Except for the word darn, that is, but I explained, we don't use it that way in the Carolinas, where I am from. But I don't mind not using it again.

[ October 01, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Bunyon ]

14. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

How about we just be friends .That seems like it would be better .I'm sorry brother1

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Surething. Absolutely.

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

C4K asked:

Of course locking doors is a defensive act. It is an action we take in order to prevent someone else from committing a crime against us.

Helen said:

I understood her to mean that since Christ didn't use His power to defend himself, then we shouldn't defend ourselves. Instead we should consider all attacks to be God allowed and therefore persecution for His sake(my interpetation of Helen's words, not part of her quote). And since Christ didn't defend himself than we shouldn't defend ourselves when someone attacks us personally.

My point was, if this is how she(or anyone) believes, then they should consider that not only did Christ not call down a legion of angels or even simply disapear as He had in other times, he placed himself readily available to those who would do him harm. Christ knew exactly what Judas was up to. He didn't hide behind locked doors in order to keep what was to come from happening. Instead He put Himself out in a public garden, in a place where Judas certainly knew He was going and waited for the attack.

Those who think violence shouldn't be used as a defense would do well to remember that Christ used neither violent nor non violent means to defend Himself in the end. Therefore, if it is wrong to use violent means of defense(guns, martial arts), then it is just as wrong to use passive means of defense(locked doors, 911)

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Good points, Managerie

Are we forgetting that the Bible says that one day Christ will comeback and do battle with an army, he will actually physically lead and Army into Battle?

Besides, I don't think anyone is saying that using force is the best thing to do in a persecution situation. We are just saying, "don't be dogmatic and tell me I have to stand by and watch my daughter get raped because I am never allowed to use force."

18. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Brethren,

One who comes back the Second time to lead an army ain't no wimp to me! [​IMG]