1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are we deceiving children ....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys aren't deceiving your children as much as you're deceiving yourselves.

I know that men speak often of the things they love. So, if Christ is loved in one's home, He is often spoken of. In those homes, when at the same time you are teaching your children to believe in a fantasy, how do you answer when the child asks the inevitable question, "Where does Santa get his magic?"

#21 Aaron, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My kids have never asked that. They don't believe he is magical in the least. He is never elevated above Christ, my kids know the true meaning of Christmas, which is just as much an invented holiday as are the non Christ elemental characters within like Santa, Rudolph, Frosty, etc.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

I can't believe this ridiculous thread has lived this long.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you've never taught them Santa was real.

Who on God's green earth are you arguing with?

#24 Aaron, Dec 9, 2013
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is real. I'm the one wearing the suit, eating the cookies, buying them the gifts and waking them up on Christmas Eve to say hello. I've never revealed my disguise.

#25 webdog, Dec 9, 2013
  6. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

The religious Scrooges will always strive to steal joy from the hearts of others. Their focus is on confining others to a negative-based path of Christianity; not on the joy-producing liberty we have in Christ. When my children were young, they had no problem separating their belief in Santa from their belief in Jesus.

I can see some of you sitting down to read a fairytale story to your children, & spending the first ten minutes explain how the book is just an interesting story that they must not let inhibit or otherwise detract from their understanding of God, His Word, or the deeper truths of life which they should be dwelling upon the other 23.5hrs of the day.

I can hear these Scrooge fathers saying to their children:

"My sons and my daughters. Allow not these fruitless stories of imagination to dissuade thy understanding from all that is good & holy. Dwell thyselves upon only the most high & holy words of thy Lord God Almighty as written in the annuls of the King James Authorized 1611 edition & genuine leather bound version of the Holy Bible. Look not upon the books of fanciful lies Satan hath authored while in thy youth. For in the day that thou lookest upon them, thy heart shall surely be turned from the most holy truths which they father hath spoken to you this day in thy hearing upon thy bed. And in the day that thy heart doth turn to hear these lies, thou shalt surely be shunned as a non-fundamental, liberal heathen who only attendeth thy local church meetings on the morning of Sunday of each week."

Didn't mean that to be so BIG....

#26 michael-acts17:11, Dec 9, 2013
  7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you intentionally taught your children to believe that Santa is real? I'm not talking about the historical St. Nicholas. You know what I mean and what I'm asking.

I mean, did you want your kids to really believe in Santa Claus?

#27 Aaron, Dec 9, 2013
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I never deceived my kids as to where babies come from, the anatomy of the opposite gender or the nature of a mentally disturbed relative. *shrug*

9. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

If this is one of your major concerns in relation to your children, I envy you.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'd love to say that teaching your kids to lie is wrong and will make them not believe you about other things, but I didn't lie to mine and the one didn't believe me and insisted Santa was real. :laugh:

I don't see it as harmless, despite the wide popularity of the concept. It's not true and I constantly hear the phrase that "G-d is no more real than Santa." How much more of a connection do you want? When they have a deep seated belief for years and they find out it's not true, what sense would it make for them to trust in someone else they don't see either but have also been told to just believe in anyhow and that he's watching and they should behave for?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's just an excuse given for atheists. Its not true Jesus was born on Dec. 25, either.

Let me see, have you ever played the 'I got your nose' or quarter behind the ear game? You ever tell them how beautiful their picture is of you, and how it looks just like you?

This is just one of those issues that Christians should not be making a big deal out of, like X-mas, happy holidays, etc. When I found out the hoops my parents went through to 'be Santa', I never for one minute felt betrayed, cheated or my entire belief system in what they taught questioned. That's just silly, and anyone that has said this is full of it, IMO, and has allowed their legalism cloud their childhood memories. I had a much greater respect for their love for me in staying up so late on Christmas Eve, wrapping the gifts with different paper and staging the whole scene while getting practically no sleep as I got up at the break of dawn. As an adult I compare it to the way God loves us and goes out of His way in showing it to us.

#31 webdog, Dec 9, 2013
  12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This isn't the same. I think you know that, but then—I know your "theology" and it isn't reassuring.

We're not talking about play or make-believe, and I think you're not answering my question because you know that. Most kids really believe in Santa Claus. Do you trick your kids into really believing in Santa Claus?

If you answer yes, my next question is, does Jesus want you to do that?

Beautiful, yes, but how it looked just like the object represented? Of course not. I would tell them how much I loved their art, and it was the truth. I did love it, and I would ask them about the details:

"Daddy! Look at my picture!"

"What's this?"

"This is Billy Bones." (our old cat)

"Oh, I see that now. Is that the black spot?"

"Uh huh. That's how you know it's Billy Bones."

"Where's his tail?"

"It's on his other side. You can't see it."

"What are these things here?"

"He's playing in the grass."

"Oh. Thank you for this drawing. I really like it, and I'm going to put it right here on the refrigerator."

Child beams.

I don't lie to my kids. My youngest is now 14. Her art rivals professionals and masters, and that's no exaggeration. I'm sorry you can't nurture your kids' talents without lying to them.

#32 Aaron, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I answered your question already. You just didn't like the answer, but can't say I'm exactly surprised.

#33 webdog, Dec 10, 2013
  14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see a yes or a no anywhere.

Do you teach your children to really believe in Santa Claus?

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

" ... teach your children to 'really' believe ... "??

Oh, wait, that changes the whole thing! I thought you meant just to "believe" in him, but you're talking about "really" believing! That's a whole different ball of wax!

What??? And why do I get the impression you're preparing an Inquisition trial complete with a pile of kindling around a telephone pole out back, depending on his answer?

This thread is getting more ludicrous by the (Aaron) post.

#35 thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 10, 2013
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They REALLY believe...because they see me each and every Christmas Eve. I don't know what you are grasping for. I don't sit down with them and teach them the doctrine of Santa or anything. They believe due to going to bed with no presents under the tree, seeing me after midnight and running downstairs to find the living room filled with toys and the cookie gone and milk half gone. Santa also tells them that when they wake up in the morning to remember the greatest gift of all, something Santa or no man can give.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I understand your point, but mine is that no, I didn't spend years building up hopes and dreams and going out of my way to reinforce a false belief that for a child, is about as close as you can get to a belief in G-d, except with the bonus of wrapped presents to show for for it, and the concept of "oh that must have been good enough."

I know it's an excuse for atheists, but the human brain is interesting. Think about it. With all we know about human behavior and connections, it would REALLY amaze me if a human beings that were raised with a belief for years and then had it taken away did not have that impact them in a major way, both known and unknown in the human psyche. Even wonderful things in our lives that happen for just a day tend to affect us for a lifetime. How much more then something of this magnitude?

Don't be trite with it. Really think about it.

For those who celebrate Christmas, why not enjoy the fun of it, but do it by teaching your kids the idea of what Santa is about? Giving to others. Being happy. Finding a critter who is not being treated nice and boosting him up. :love2: (quit wondering what I'm talking about and go read about Rudolph!) There's no need for elaborate tricks. One can still enjoy the concept of Santa without having to kill him off later!

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Oh, for the luv a ...

Wow, what a bunch of legalists!!

[URL="http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/december/should-churches-discourage-belief-in-santa-claus.html]Christianity Today: Should Churches Discourage Belief in Santa Claus?[/URL]​
    Done here. Good grief!

#38 thisnumbersdisconnected, Dec 10, 2013
  19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We used to use this Christmas decoration when our kids were little. They understood:

[​IMG]

20. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

TND, saying "DONE!" in the middle of a discussion is not an acceptable method of conflict resolution. I've noticed this becoming a predictable pattern in threads you choose to participate in and it makes me wonder why you choose to take part in them if there is an unwillingness to see the majority of them through to at least some degree of actually being "done."