1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

are we dumbing down unnecessarily?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why are you telling Art how great he is?

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Well, you learn something new every day.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - We just did All Creatures this past Sunday and will be doing When I Survey this week for Communion Sunday. :) And we're mostly contemporary songs but we DO use great hymns such as these. :thumbsup:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Excellent! You must be a fantastic person (I guess since you seem consistently to fall on the same side of an issue as I do- how arrogant does that make me?):laugh::laugh:

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Check this group out.

They take the old rich lyrics of the greats from a hundred to five hundred years ago and put them to excellent contemporary praise music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se8oqprMC8I&feature=related

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

We are intentional about keeping the great hymns of the faith as part of our vernacular. Sometimes, it involves a good deal of work; but it's worth it.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Excellent! Check out that group I linked a couple of posts above (post 25). I think you'll like them. Their music consists of the theologically rich, christocentric lyrics of the old greats put to tasteful contemporary music.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh AWESOME!!! Love it!! I'm sending this to hubby and our other worship leaders. I'll bet we'll use some of them! Thanks so much!

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good comments! Thanks! And thanks for the respectful tone!

Last week it was "suggested" to us that as a church we need to go to the NCV as the NIV is just too blamed hard for most people to read.

Got a chuckle out of putting old hymns to new tunes. Pastor has been doing that and it set the hymn lovers teeth on edge. Some that hate CCM offered to sing it in a blended service if we could just do the hymns the familiar way.

My teacher daughter says that the whole culture a while back seems to have decided that if people read at the fifth grade level, we will write novels, magazines, papers, Bibles, etc at third grade level.

Problem is, with no practice reading harder stuff pretty soon no one can read harder stuff.

Don't know if it is true or just urban legend, but I've heard the reason so many stores have a machine spit your change out to you is that the checkers can no longer "make change."

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Great. They are tremendous. Deep, contemporary and tasteful- and greater than that Christ exalting.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

SERIOUSLY???? That's just unbelievable. The NIV is what I'm using in homeschooling (along with the KJV because that's what the curriculum uses) and if my child in first grade can read and understand the NIV.....

:BangHead:

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Or, you make something up every day. :eek: