1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we losing the concept of mayrters?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by UnchartedSpirit, May 7, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Maybe I'm just looking in all the wrong places, but I'm getting that the majority of Christians are not willing to be mayrters in places like Iraq, Uganda, Somalia, etc, becuase they don't think the people there are worth it. If people are still going to choose Christ after the Church is taken away, mayrters should have much more impact. Yet are we taking them too much for granted...are we just slacking in training more?

btw, how do you train someone to be a mayrter? Why haven't I asked that one before?

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Excerpted from the American heritage Dictionary:

mar·tyr n.

1. One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles.

2. One who makes great sacrifices or suffers much in order to further a belief, cause, or principle.
    a. One who endures great suffering: a martyr to arthritis.
    b. One who makes a great show of suffering in order to arouse sympathy.

Notice that the classical definition does not include dying while killing others or committing a crime...

The terrorists are _NOT_ Martyrs...

They're suicidal psychopaths who are using religion to mask their insanity.

But, I am forced to agree that our tendency to rationalize will cause many to foget:

Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

And, that denying Christ, even at Sword Point, is a form of being ashamed...

Might as well...

1 Samuel 4:9 Be strong, and quit yourselves like men, O ye Philistines, that ye be not servants unto the Hebrews, as they have been to you: quit yourselves like men, and fight.

They'll probably kill you anyway...

And, you really don't want to die having just denied Christ, do you?

Mike Sr.

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I'm not saying become a terrorist mayrter, but are we dehumanizing terrorist too much to go into a nation that hides them and evangelize?

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Hmmmmm

I hadn't thought much about that...

That's a good thing to seriously consider...

I have an un-nameable relative who is called to Evangelize the Muslims...

This person has already been 'asked to leave' one Muslim Country...

So, in the one sense no we aren't forgetting the 'people'...

But, on the other hand the actual pyschopaths are, IMHO, too far gone to approach...

At least not unless God has called you to be a Martyr... [​IMG]

Also, one should not consider doing such a thing without God's Divine Call...

Because when you are captured and your death is threatened by the Terrorists, people, who may not be believers, will try to rescue you and may die in the process...

Mike Sr.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

SMM, just a reminder, you are in a Baptist only forum here. ;)

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Uncharted,

remember, there are people going into those countries in order to evangelize. But out of necessity we do not hear much, if anything, of them.

Also, have any of you heard of H.E.L.P. Ministries? We had some representatives from this ministry at our church yesterday. They are very active in areas that around here are called the "10-40 window".

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

There are more Martyrs today than ever in history.You just may not be in touch. A good way to keep abreast is to read "Voice of the Martyrs",just type that in your search window and hit find.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill is right here. Someone wrote a big, thick book on the pattern of Foxe's Book of Martyrs about those killed for the cause of Christ in the 20th centruy, but I never bought it and can't remember the title.

9. On the Edge

On the Edge New Member

We are not told of all the martyrs. Some estimates say more Christians have died in the last one hundred years for their faith than all the time before then. It's hard to get reports from people working in closed countries. Most countries don't openly document those things.

Personally I think we all should be willing to die for Christ, to suffer persecution. But it is one thing to die for Christ, I think it may take more to live for Christ and die to self every day.