1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are we paying attention to Scripture in our political statements?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jack Matthews, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I think accusing people of being unsaved if they vote for a particular candidate, or questioning other people's salvation, including that of the candidate, is unbiblical and sinful. The scripture is very clear regarding how we are to behave related to the governing authorities, or in our disagreements with others, and I do not see very many Christians using the gentleness and respect that the scriptures require. Regardless of who is elected on Tuesday, God is in control of the election process and whatever happens afterward, and the doom and gloom predictions of many Christians only cause people to distrust everything else we have to say.

Of course, there are some of you who believe that there are people who are predestined to be reprobate, and nothing we could do will change that, and you might use that to justify your bitterness and hatefulness, since you don't have to worry about them ever being saved anyway, but there are others who are damaging their witness just to vent their political frustrations. It is always a good idea to think first, and then keep quiet.

If you are looking for specific scripture references, here's an article written by a cyberfriend of mine.

http://deepintheheart.wordpress.com/2008/11/02/get-a-gripgod-is-in-control/

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we paying attention to scripture when we vote. Christians cannot suport the whoelsale slaughter of unborn children. The biggest holocaust in all of history. Jesus told the Pharisees their Father was Satan. BY their fruits you shall know them. How about that for scripture.

3. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

So, you can't be an advocate for that and yet follow scriptural mandates to disagree with gentleness and respect, or to the fact that the governing authorities, whoever they might be, were put there by God for a reason?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Funny how many ways libs come up with to silence those who oppose their pet sin abortion. Just how gentle should we be while babies are being ripped apart limb by limb and so called Christians are suporting it and or supporting those who do?

5. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Are you saying I am a liberal who supports abortion? You'd be wrong. How is following what the Bible says in disagreeing with someone's position "coming up with a way to silence those who oppose their pet sin"?

Or is it O.K for people who agree with your pet political position to choose which passages of scripture they will follow, and which ones they won't?

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Way to go Rev, you have my vote for most gentle post... :thumbs:

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea lets be gentle about the ripping apart from limb to limb of millions of unborn children.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for these words of wisdom that apply not just to political disagreements but all kinds, just as Paul implores.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like normal libs misapply scripture to protect themselves. Paul wrote to "mark' them that cause divisions and teach a gospel contrary to the truth. Jesus called the Pharisees the children of Satan. Now how do you line that up with your application of scripture.

Those who present themselves as Christian and twist, not just scripture, but the validity of the word of God or the basic gospel and support those that promote the slaughter of unborn children need to be called out.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, that is what Jesus told them. He is God. We are not. You cannot look into the soul of a human being and tell if it is regenerated or not.

11. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Looks like you're selectively applying scripture and coming up with your own interpretation of it to apply to yourself. The "gospel" is the whole redemptive message of Jesus, including grace. You can't cut out the parts of it that don't fit with your behavior.

12. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So Paul's direction to throw out the sinful man in the Corinthian Church is not a duty of the Church to keep it clean before the world? Talk about selective hearing and a true fulfillment of prophesy of not enduring sound doctrine.

13. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct me if I am wrong.

You see supporting or voting for a Democrat to be a sin or heresy deserving of ecclesiastical separation?

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

When it comes to their support of abortion, ABSOLUTELY! (yelling is not intended, just a statement of resolve)

15. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And for clarification. Does this include people who are pro-life but still support and vote Democrat? Are they also sinners or heretics worthy of ecclesiastical separation?

16. targus

targus New Member

How is one "pro-life" if one votes for a candidate who is "pro-abortion" be they Democrat, Republican, or other?

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

They are voting their lusts and are supporting the destruction of God ordained life. They should be removed from the camp. I have no power to do this, however God will. Just as the ground opened up and buried alive the ones that sinned in the wilderness, God is going to do this again and sooner than most think.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You didn't answer my question.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That has nothing to do with what I said. "Keep it clean" before the world is being kept clean by a bunch of sinful people in God's eyes. Now, blantant sin, sin that shows not being lead by the Lord, is another matter.

The fact is, neither you nor anyone else, cannot be sure of someone else's salvation one way or the other. You might make a good guess. If you have learned how to look at the human soul and tell if it is regenerated or not, let me know. I would like to learn that one.

Besides that, who are you comparing someone else's conduct to, yours, or better yet, what you think the Bible says. What the Bible says and what you think it says is two different things.

Just wondering, how well does your local church handle church discipline?