1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are We....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

...."Defiling the 'Temple of God'" (1 Cor 3:16-17) when we injest foods of little of no nutritional value?

I've often heard that such things as smoking and/or drinking alcoholic beverages, etc. are things that a BAC should not do because they not only give a poor "witness" to unbelievers, but also do no physical good to our physical bodies, i.e., they "defile 'God's temple.'"

This argument is based on the above-cited passage in 1 Cor.

By that very same token, should not the foods we injest that are very highly processed/high in cholesterol/very high in salt and/or sugar content be considered as defiling "God's Temple"?

Why or why not?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said it isn't what goes into your mouth that defiles you but what comes out (of the heart) via the mouth that defiles.

Certainly, abusing anything beyond the reasonable moderation, could lead to a sinful abuse of the body, but I think there's a whole lot more to "your body is the Temple", than don't drink wine, smoke, or eat too many carbs.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs: