1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you 1,000% sure you're saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, May 17, 2015.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't agree with that last one, though I agree with the first two. The OP speaks about uncertainty arising from...false teaching. That happens.

I think all of us have dealt with it, or are still dealing with it. When we understand what Scripture is teaching then those doubts give way to a faith that is founded on the Cross.

God bless.

2. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Just asking

RESPECTFULLY, but then again, Jesus said those words, "I never knew you" to those who were "sure" they were saved, right?

(We all want to be sure of the genuineness of our salvation.)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ask anyone on the street if they are saved and many will say "Sure!' "Will you go to heaven?" "Absolutely!" They think they are saved but they don't know Jesus so how could they be saved?

But those who have heard the Gospel, have received it and live it, they have full assurance that they will never be told "I never knew you" because God Himself bought them so He knows them well.

4. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

I agree if you would ask anyone out on the street. But ask anyone inside a Baptist church and everyone will say, "Sure!" Some would think they are saved because they think and assume they know Jesus. I would be the first one to admit that this "I don't know you" verse is troubling and worrisome indeed.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ask them why.

Why do you think you are NOT saved?

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passage is not that difficult to understand: there was no relationship between the Lord and those He never knew.

As I said before, most of us struggle with the issue of Eternal Security when we are first saved, and it is not until we become better acquainted with the Word of God that we finally begin to understand the Work of Christ.

So your job, my friend, is to delve into that which God has given you as a means of knowing Him better, and that is Scripture. That doesn't mean that having much knowledge makes the relationship, it just shows you are willing to be obedient to some very basic Bible Principles, one of which is to have a heart that sincerely wants to know Him better.

Before we try to assist someone with understanding Scripture, one thing has to be dealt with, and that is...has salvation taken place to begin with? If it has not, then that individual will not benefit from Study, because the natural man cannot understand the spiritual things of God. However, the Ministry of the Comforter is to enlighten the natural man, and make the spiritual issue which tops every list, that is...the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So I will ask you...how is one saved?

And this is not a test, and I am not questioning your salvation, my friend. All of us begin in a state of ignorance, and begin a growth process after salvation. An exception might be made in the case of someone like Saul of Tarsus, who had, in the natural, become very familiar with Scripture, and when he was saved, had that to his advantage. And being made alive, he had an advantage many do not when they are saved. Some sit in a pew for years, become acquainted with Scripture, and then realize their condition as one of still being lost. But the general rule is we start out knowing little else than that Christ died in our place, and because of that we can be brought into relationship with Christ.

So in order to begin our look at Eternal Security, I will ask you to present your understanding of how men are saved. Again, this is not a test, your salvation is not being questioned, it is just a matter of seeing where you are in understanding, and we can go from there.

God bless.

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then ask then how men are saved. The answers that ensue can be varied. That does not determine whether they are saved or not, because people are not saved for being flawless in doctrine or being scholars.

We are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves. It is the gift of God.

Scripture is intended to convict the heart of man. Christ said "And I will send another Comforter," which suggests there was a previous Comforter, and I would suggest that Christ was the Comforter, and before He came the Word of God was that Comforter.

We see an example of the Word of God's convicting Ministry:

Hebrews 4:12

King James Version (KJV)

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Salvation does not mean we lose opportunity for the Word of God to convict, in fact, that is the beginning of conviction. Because we are then able to see God, the world, and ourselves...from God's perspective. Prior to salvation we saw only from our own perspective, which was one in which we were the "good guy" in our own little movie. Doing no wrong, and justifying the wrong we did.

But God has opened our understanding so that as we begin to place our own selves in a proper perspective, then can we also place God in His proper place, which is that of Holy God, equal to no man, and so far above man that as He has said, our greatest righteousnesses are as filthy rags.

It is just my belief that all believers will be troubled y the issue of Eternal Security, and the only way to move on to faith that cannot be troubled by false teachings is to understand the Word of God, particularly the Gospel. And Christ promised that the Comforter, that is, God, eternally indwelling the believer, is our First Teacher. He will lead you into all truth, and all you have to do is be obedient to sincerely seek to know Him better.

God bless.

8. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by salzer mtn View Post
    A person that looks to themselves for assurance of salvation and thinks they find it is deceived. One who thinks they are keeping the commandments for salvation is deceived. One who say's their saved and the question of am i saved or not, never enters their mind is deceived.

Posted by Darrell C {I wouldn't agree with that last one, though I agree with the first two. The OP speaks about uncertainty arising from...false teaching. That happens.

I think all of us have dealt with it, or are still dealing with it. When we understand what Scripture is teaching then those doubts give way to a faith that is founded on the Cross.}

The Op ask the question can we trust ourselves to know for sure Jesus knows us. I do not find in scripture we are to trust ourselves or look to ourselves for salvation. When I look at myself, I find no assurance, because one day I may be up and the next day down in despair. Paul said, Rom 7:18 For I know that in me( that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing. My best prayers are full of sin because of a wandering mind when I pray. My good works are full of sin because of pride that creeps in that wants the glory. If Thou, lord, shouldest mark iniquities, o Lord who shall stand, Psa 130:3. I looked out of myself at the time of salvation and looked to Him who saves sinners and I was saved. And at this present hour I still do. So the last statement I made in the other post that you disagreed with I explain this way. Many are the trials we have in this life. Many are the temptations. Many be the times I have failed because I fought the battle in my own strength. And in this time of weakness I ask myself, Am I His or no ? In my pilgrim journey here on earth I am persuaded Christ is my salvation, Christ is my sanctification. My righteousness, I have none. I have submitted myself unto the righteousness of Christ imputed to me, 1 Cor 1:30.

#28 salzer mtn, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to stand with what I have said, and it is clear that false teaching has led this fellow to doubt, which is not anything by which a person can determine their condition by:

He then confirms those doubts in saying...

I commend Robert for being honest about this. Some would never admit what Robert has here. And again, this is nothing by which we could try to determine salvation by. False teaching undercuts faith and the only defense is to know the Scriptures wrested to teach that faith in Christ cannot be as strong as yours and mine.

When people are saved, it is with faith like a child. A child, when they are young, has no doubts mom and dad are going to put food on the table, for example (and I speak of functional households). It is never something that enters their minds, to question that, because that has always been done and they have no reason to doubt it. It is the same with saving faith: one understands the Gospel, and their conviction of sin recognizes their depravity and they understand that they have no means by which they can reconcile the vast gulf between they and God, and are happy to recognize that which God tells them in that moment...that Christ died for them.

Then, along the way, those whose knowledge is corrupt give rise to doubts. It might be likened to teenage friends who tell them what their parents taught them about drugs or alcohol is wrong, that the truth is that drugs and alcohol are good, and things to be desired. So too, those of legalistic persuasion over-emphasize the holiness required on the part of the believer and focus heavily on legalism and leave out the fact that it is God that raises his children, not the teenage friends, lol.

And this is where the Body of Christ is to draw together as a family, to retake the command to disciple those who are young in faith, young in understanding.

God bless.

10. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Darrell, yup just being honest.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a necessity for all of us, and perhaps one of the hardest lessons we never stop learning, lol.

Now, I can tell you there is no percentage that can aptly describe the certainty I have about being saved. The question is why you have doubts.

A few reasons are false teachings which cause doubt, sound teachings which cause doubt (because the Word of God will cause you to examine yourself), resistance to Eternal Security because one grew up or was saved through a faith that denies it, and then...plain ole stubbornness, lol.

You have cited teachings against Eternal Security as a source for your doubt, so let's just start with a few basics. I have asked a question of you in the other thread, and will deal with your answer there, so in this thread what I will ask you to do is tell me how you believe salvation is attained to. Simply put...

...how can a man be saved from eternal separation.

God bless.