1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a disciple?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by aefting, Jan 2, 2005.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

The Greek word for disciple is used over 250 times in the NT but ONLY in the first 5 books of the NT. Any ideas as to why it never occurs outside of those books?

Andy

2. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

all Christians should be diciples
    someone who believes and helps to spread the doctrine of another

Disciple ship is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to learn and teach others about God.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Although the greek word for Disciple is only used so many times---the principal/concept was there all along. The word from the Word says that Moses had disciples! John the Baptist had disciples! Jesus had disciples!

In a plan sense--a disciple is one who is walking in the word(scripture) with the Word of God.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have always found it intresting that in the Great Commission Jesus clearly calls to make "disciples" not followers, not converts, but disciples. Puts an interesting twist on evangelism and missions.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is a "disciple"? Greek "mathetes" - a learner, i.e. pupil

Disciples were learners, pupils of Jesus.

Jesus employed a NEW term, Apostle, after His resurrection. Greek "apostolos" - sent one

The term "disciple is not used after mid-Acts and never in epistles. We are NOT "disciples". We are (lower case) "apostles" - sent forth with the Gospel.

6. aefting

aefting New Member

It looks to me that it is used up through Acts 21:16.

Your idea has merit but, if true, why does Luke use disciple as a general term for a believer in Acts? And why does Jesus call us to make disciples in Matt 28?

Andy

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

we cannot be apostles but we are and can be disciples.

Number Of Apostles
    Before we look at the number of New Testament disciples (apostles) lets first define the words "apostle" and "disciple."
    Davis Dictionary of the Bible says the requirement of an apostle was that he had to be an eyewitness of the events of the life of Jesus, he had to see Him after His resurrection, and he had to testify to mankind concerning Him (Matthew 10:2-42; Acts 1:21,22; I Corinthians 9:1). Davis defines "disciple" in a more general way, i.e., as a "pupil or scholar (Matthew 10:24); especially the follower of a public teacher, like John the Baptist (Matthew 9:14); a person taught of God (Isaiah 8:16). It is used of all of whatever age who in faith received the divine Master's instructions (Matthew 10:42; Luke 14:26,27,33- John 4:1; 6:66); and especially of the twelve apostles" (Matthew 5:1; 8:25; 10:1; 12:1, etc).

The original twelve were chosen in succession at a very early period of the Savior's public life. They were chosen as follows: First came Andrew and his brother Simon (Peter); James and John [the sons of Zebedee] (Matthew 4:18-22; 10:2,3; Mark 1:16-20; Luke 6:14; John 1:35-42); then Philip and Nathaniel [named also Bartholomew] (John 1:43-51). Subsequently, there came Matthew [also known as Live] (Matthew 9:9-13; Mark 2:14-17; Luke 5:27-32); Thomas, James (the son of Alphaeus), Simon the Zealot (or Cananaean), Thaddaeus, the brother of James the Less, and Judas Iscariot--Matthew 10:1-4; Mark 3:16-19; Luke 6:13-16; Acts 1:13.

After Judas' betrayal and death, two men possessing the necessary qualifications of apostleship were put forward. One was Joseph (called Barsabas and Justus) and the other was Matthias. Lots were cast to choose which one would replace Judas and the lot fell upon Matthias, who was consequently elected (Acts 1:15, 26).

This accounts for the original twelve disciples--or apostles (Matthew 6:13 tells us Jesus called these disciples "apostles.")

However, the title "apostle" was not limited to the twelve, for Barnabas (Acts 14:14), and James (the Lord's brother, Galatians 1:19; 1 Corinthians 15:7) were called apostles also.

Paul was divinely chosen and called to preach the gospel to the Gentiles (Acts 9:1-31; 22:5-21; 26:1-20). He had not traveled with Jesus our Lord as on earth; but he possessed the apostolic qualifications of having seen Jesus after His resurrection. 0n the way to Damascus Jesus appeared to him and spoke to him, changing his hostility into passionate devotion.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

All believers are disciples, because all Christians are followers of Christ.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a difference between a disciple and a learner. I can learn all about a person and never be his disciple. Many learn about Jesus and do not follow Him. The demons believe and shudder. The demons know all about Jesus but are not his disciples.

10. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

one more time just in case you missed it...
    all Christians should be diciples.
    Defined
    someone who believes and helps to spread the doctrine of another

Disciple ship is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to learn and teach others about God.

11. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

aefting,

Just found this one. 252 times for "mathatas" (last two a are "etas" h, long a sound, mah-thay-tace).

Never saw that before. Gotta be some significance.

Also, Dr Bob used the lower case "apostles" to disctinguish from the technical term "Apostle". We are indeed sent forth ones (the meaning of the word), we are not Apostles. They all died in and around the first century. No Apostolic successionism implied.

Will think on this and get back.

Just gotta ask, if we are to be "disciples" and to make "disciples" why does the word disappear after Acts 21:16?

I think this is Andy's point in the OP. I have not seen it "wrestled with" yet. Dr. Bob's was the only attempt. Of course, I have nothing better to offer.

Ray

12. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

an afterthought, wonder what Stam and other hyperDs would do with this one!

13. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't know if there is any significance but it is interesting. In Acts, Luke uses the term as a designation for believers. Among others, the disciples where called Christians first in Antioch.

Paul tends to use "brethren" alot. I haven't looked yet, but I wonder what John uses in Revelation and his epistles? Saints?

Andy