1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you a modest person?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, May 20, 2008.

?
  1. I never wear shorts in public.

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. I always wear sleeved clothing

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. I don't show cleavage (bust or butt)

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. I never wear sandals. My feet are covered.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. I don't have any leg showing.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. I cover my head in public.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. What are we talking about here?

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. I wear what I durn well please.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  9. I can be immodest.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. I don't consider myself immodest.

31 vote(s)
    81.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

2. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I don't consider myself immodest, but if some of the standards of the poll are applied, perhaps others might?

I don't think sandals are inappropriate in hot weather, nor do I think short sleeves are, although I personally don't go sleeveless; any shorts I wear cover more than many ladies dresses do nowadays, and I would never show some of the other skin mentioned!!!:eek:

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

What Hopeful said. :)

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

One thing for sure, I never show cleavage (bust or butt)....

Well, does that plumber thing count? :BangHead:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

People in the bible, including Jesus wore sandles, so I'm not sure how anyone could consider them immodest.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here are my standards:

bust covered - I will wear v-neck shirts but if they're low cut, I have some nice camies that will cover what needs to be covered

bottom covered - I will not wear short shorts nor would anyone want me to. My legs are in pretty good shape except I gained a ton of weight in pregnancy and have a gob of stretch marks on my thighs. So Bermuda shorts are my friend. :D

feet uncovered - I hate shoes. As soon as I can, I take them off. Summer means flip flops when out and about or another pair of sandals. I don't think this is immodest. However, I won't wear stillettos or that sort of shoe. Bleck!

sleeves - I will only wear shirts that cover my bra. None of this bra strap as a fashion statement thing. I do have some sleeveless shirts and tanks but they cover well. I'll only wear them when it's really hot because I just don't like my upper arms. But when it's 98 degrees with 98% humidity, the sleeves are gone. :)

So basics are - parts are covered that shouldn't be shown.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you a modest person?

Sure I am! Give me a medal to wear that says so.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

It depends on one's definition of "modest". The Bible is referring to women who dress seductively for the purpose of enticing and lure men. They do it for immoral reasons. One can (in my opinion) be modest in shorts and a T shirt if their only motive is to be comfortable. We should not be held responsible for what goes on in another person's mind unless our intent is to cause lust. Unfortunately, much of female clothing is made for the wrong reasons--to make the wearer look sexy. Even little girls' tops have words like "Hotty" on them.

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I wear jeans and T shirts at home. We're pretty isolated, so it's not like anyone is going to scold me for not wearing a dress. Plus it's hot here, jumpers would be unbearable. I also seldom wear shoes at home. It's just easier to get around the place dressed this way, or at least it used to be. I save my "Sunday best" for church. I still can't believe what some women wear these days! I have to avert my eyes sometimes, and I can only imagine what men have to do to look away!

love,

Sopranette

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We live in the tropics. It's hot. It's humid. We wear shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops. But then we are able to change & get comfortable when we get home from church.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've been trying to say this here on the BB for years.

12. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

love,

Solpranette

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

(My reply seems to have disappeared. I hope I did not unintentionally put something that contravened posting rules! :laugh: Anyway, I will try to remember what I wrote, and send it again).

At first, before seeing the poll questions, the title had me thinking this was a trick question. If I said, "Yes, I am modest!" (meaning "I am not boastful") I suppose my claim to modesty could in itself be seen as pride. :)

The poll questions showed that was not the meaning.

It seems I cannot be modest in the poll's terms, as there is only one that would be true of me: I never show cleavage.

Are the others really signs of immodesty though?

Is it immodest to wear a sleeveless pullover? What about a short-sleeved shirt? I sometimes wear both (not usually at the same time!).

I sometimes wear sandals. How can that be immodest? Jesus Himself wore them.

Is completely covering my legs a sign of modesty? Why?

I rarely cover my head, usually only to protect against heavy rain or bright sunshine.

I have left "shorts" till last. Yes, I often wear them, in the British English sense of short trousers. I understand that "shorts" is the American name for the item of men's underwear we call "pants". (What Americans call "pants", we call "trousers"!) I wear that sort of "shorts", too. I don't remove them before going out in public - what a strange idea!

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Thank you, Brother David! I needed a chuckle to start off my day!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL David!

Foot coverings, I wear sandals (when I wear anything at all) until there is snow on the ground! (that doesn't happen very often in Alabama!)

Head coverings: Sensory defensive disorder has left me unable to to tolerate any sort of head covering for very long. I just can't stand 'em.

Shorts: I actually prefer capris that come below my knees, but for other reasons than modesty. I have very fair skin and my poor knees will sunburn faster than any where else! :laugh:

Sleeves: I go sleeveless in the summer and wear short sleeves mostly in winter. But, I don't wear tank tops away from the house without an over shirt. It's that bra strap thing, I don't want to worry about 'em and bra straps are NOT a fashion statement! Eeeeeeew!

Am I modest? I'm a moderate modest. :D

If what you expect is Muslim modest or Amish modest, you ain't gonna find it here. If what you expect is native tropical island modest, you still ain't gonna find it here. But if you are looking for all the right places to be covered and clothing that isn't made and worn for the express purpose of seducing the male of the species, you might just find that here.