1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Better Off Than Four Years Ago

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 8, 2012.

1. targus

targus New Member

Too bad for you then that the "cost of living" calculation has probably been understated.

What is the basis for the "cost of living" calculation?

Is it the same as your social security increase has been?

Has that been keeping up with real inflation?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>Too bad for you then that the "cost of living" calculation has probably been understated.

True, but my union has been without a contract for two years and when a new contract is signed I should at least make up the difference.

>What is the basis for the "cost of living" calculation?

Don't remember. We have binding arbitration based on the current pay scales of 5 major western cities.

>Is it the same as your social security increase has been?

I don't get SS.

>Has that been keeping up with real inflation?

My Wife has handled the money for 50 years, says my pension pays all our bills. She majored in accounting and didn't like my check book system.
    The one time we bounced a check 40 years ago it was my fault. That was the last time I wrote a check?

3. targus

targus New Member

It sounds like you are out of touch with the economy.

Perhaps you should as your wife if you should vote for Obama based on his handling of the economy.

She sounds like a smart woman.

You would probably be surprised at her answer. :smilewinkgrin:

It would be good to know that you decided that you will be voting a straight Republican ticket. :laugh:

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife gets regular raises and - oh that's right the state's finances are in the outhouse and all raises have been frozen for couple years now, not upward mobility as positions are kind of frozen, but she gets some extra days off mandated by the state, oh without pay. Though new comers get raises, she has been working for the state for 11 years and newcomers are making the same as my wife, of course that was due to a union deal years ago.

We are doing better but it is due to the fact that we have been frugal, saving, and paying the house off, but none of that is due to the economy, it is due to doing without in many areas and doing with old stuff that we've owned for years. Too bad congress/Obama can't decide to do the same thing.