1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are you better than this?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Nov 27, 2007.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, just making sure we're careful...

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:thumbs: Absolutely!

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you.

I've had my foot in my mouth more times than I can count since I've been on the BB. It has been a humbling experience.

:godisgood:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Everyone just give the same answer your neighbors, family and friends and all who have known you before salvation and after. If they give the answer "NO", man are you in trouble.

BBob,

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. It depends on what you mean by "better than."

2. The apostle echoes my soul's deepest indeptedness, "For I am what I am by the grace of God" (1 Cor 15:10).

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here is basically where I was going with the idea...

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/sum&sub.htm

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Npet, as I've discovered myself on BB, it's not that easy to frame a question to get a specific response. I guess that's why trial attornies make so much money!

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

The reason no answered the way you wanted them to, regarding the above, is the way in which you set forth the question.

Your question involving the term 'better' presupposes to most people's mind the view of being 'more special' or 'more worthy' (much like the Pharisee's prayer in relation to the publican). Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost said
    Those who have answered you, have answered you in the most biblical context.

Q. Have we been blessed to be overcomers of sin and able to withstand our fleshly/sinful desires?
    A. Yes.

Q. And as such are we thus better than the unregenerate sinners?
    A. Yes , and no.
    .....1. Yes, in that God has blessed us by His grace to set us free from the bondage of sin
    .....2. No, in that we are more worthy than other sinners to be blessed in such a gracious way.

#28 Allan, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2007
  9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I see the genius of Spurgeon's quote, but not everyone would agree. There's a sublety to what he is saying.