1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Purifying Yourself?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 5, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

HP: What does it mean to purify ones self? The question then remains, are you purifying yourself? According to this passage, can one be found ‘not’ purifying himself and still retain a certain hope of eternal life?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

"every man that hath this in him, purifieth himself, even as He is pure".

"this" = the hope we have in Christ, because Christ is in us. We are pure because of Him.

HP, you could really use a good commentary. You might consider getting one. :)

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

The text will answer your question,,
    And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What does this answer? The question remains as to how one purifies themselves? This passage does not say that everyone that has this hope has been purified, although we know in a sense that was true at the moment of salvation. This text speaks to actions on the part of the individual subsequent to the first act of faith. The man addressed here is one said to already to have been in possession of a hope. The passage clearly infers subsequent action does it not? The verse indicates ‘continuing action’ does it not?

#4 Heavenly Pilgrim, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I happen to have a library of helps and use them often Amy, but thanks for the advice anyway. :thumbs:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

As it says, by having this hope in him!

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

8. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this verse means that all those who live with an awareness of the imminent return of Christ will live like they believe He is coming back today. We will live with the awareness that we could see Him face-to-face today. We will want to be found watching when He comes. We will want to be found faithful when He comes.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Hope= confident assurance
    assurance of what the 2 verses say about Jesus.
    More eloquently put by Pastor Bob.

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here we go again :praying:

Most of the NT letters are given to us so we can #1 learn how we ought to behave as one who has been given eternal life by grace through faith and #2 that one may examine themselves to see if they have truly been converted and not just playing religion.

Tell us what is the consensus of all of the commentaries you own? Does the consensus say that if one does not purify themselves then they will forfiet salvation? You know this is where your mind is on bringing these threads forward.

God Bless! :thumbs:

11. trustitl

trustitl New Member

You are right when you say that this passage does not say that "everyone that has this hope has been purified". This is confirmed in I Peter 1:22 "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit ".

Your statement "although we know in a sense that was true at the moment of salvation" is a little peculiar. I don't quite know what you mean by "in a sense" and this may be what concerns your brother Steaver. I would say that we are not "in a sense" purified at salvation, but rather we ARE purified. I can be no more pure than pure for if I needed to be purified I would not be pure.

Many people want sanctification to be something we perform after we are saved. I think it is clear that we are sanctified at salvation. The following verse is not written to a group of people that had obtained some point of holiness that caused Paul to write to them: "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God." (I Cor. 6:11 ) In fact it was written to people that he called carnal.

As you look at the verses that follow I John 3:3 it is clear that John is talking to his readers about how to live so your statement "The passage clearly infers subsequent action does it not" is correct. However, our purification unto salvation is not a result of our actions as I am sure you will agree. The rub comes when one says that our salvation is kept by our "subsequent actions". I do not see scripture supporting this position. I am among them "Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (I Peter 1:5) Praise God! I was unable to save myself and I am equally unable to keep myself.

However, scripture is full of teaching that says we are to have our actions following salvation be pleasing to God. Paul told the Corinthians who he described as sanctified to live such a life: "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." (I Cor. 6:20)

John makes is clear that a person not living a life free from sin has no reason to think himself pure in the eyes of God.

I John 3:6 "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

I know we touched on these verses before and you did not like my take on them, but I think it is clear that these verses are talking about an ongoing life of sin and not a one time act which removes us from our salvation causing us to need to be sanctified all over again.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother trustitl,

You nailed it! :godisgood: You have studied and I believe have shown yourself approved unto God, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Next question?

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I trust the list will forgive me for being so brief at this time and just answering one individuals posts for now.

I certainly like what you share here Pastor. :thumbs: To expound on your post one might depict for the list what it means to ‘take heed thereto according to Thy Word.’ One also might share with what it entails to be found ‘watching’ and ‘faithful’ when he comes. Are you suggesting that faith alone is involved or is our will and its intents and subsequent actions involved and being addressed?

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I will make a short exception and try and clarify this point. Make no mistake about it, we are purified by faith at salvation. Either we are purified from all sins that are past or we have not been saved. Just the same, I believe Scripture informs us that when we sin we are in need of a fresh purifying. Sin defiles even one that 'has been' purified by faith, and if persisted in until the end without repentance, no amount of faith will atone for sin. “Without repentance ye all likewise shall perish.” Repentance involves a turning from sin, not simply an acknowledgement that we have sinned.

If our works are not consistent with our faith, as evinced by our formed intents and subsequent actions, can faith alone save us? Not according to the Apostle James. “Faith without works is dead being alone.” Dead faith, or faith inconsistent with ones actions, is equated to having no faith at all, or useless faith.

We have been purified at salvation. We need to be purified by faith anew if sin has taken occasion and deceived us as believers. We will be eternally purified if in fact we are found in Him at the last judgment. Christ purified our hearts at salvation for sins that are past. We are to purify our hearts and lives in this world subsequent to salvation by taking heed to God’s Word and forming intents consistent with holiness. If we are found doing that until the end, we will indeed be eternally purified as we stand before Him.

15. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist

Jesus explained this perfectly when He said:
    Mt 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
    Mt 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

To be found "watching" simply means what I explained above. It is to "love" His appearing (II Tim. 4:8). To be found "faithful" simply means that, since we have been entrusted with our Master's goods, we are properly dispensing them for His honor and glory.
    I Cor 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
    Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

[/quote]
    If you are still referring to "purifying" here, then the answer is two-fold. Christ performs a purifying work in our lives when we, by faith, accept Him (Titus 2:14). We purify ourselves by our continued obedience to the Word of God (I Peter 1:22).

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I do not believe one could spell it out any clearer or better. Thanks Pastor. :thumbs:

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually, HP is referring to our works of righteousness being judged and our salvation depending on whether or not these works were good or bad.

However, Paul made it clear that works may perish in the fire but the man himself shall be saved.

1Cr 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Where is your evidence that the works spoken of here have any particular connection to righteousness or unrighteousness? There are many ‘works’ a man might do in this world that have no moral merit nor can be properly classified as unrighteous deeds. Certainly such works that have no moral merit will serve no eternal purpose, but this in no wise establishes the notion that you seem to be implying of salvation apart from righteousness or that the unrighteouss will be somehow found in Christ at the judgment having an Advocate. The verse simply implies no such thing.

19. Darren

Darren New Member

I would prefer to look at verses 1-10. This passage can be used to support the idea that one enters heaven through his actions, by never sinning again, however, I would point out Romans 7 in which 7-25 discusses Paul's sin nature.

I believe we are purified by our committment to God. Let me pose a seemingly different question:

When a Jew would perform a sacrifice to atone for his sins, did the blood of the animal really take his sins away, or did something else entirely atone him?

You see, Isaiah 1:2-31 sheds a little light on this. 11-19 shows God angry at a multitude of meaningless sacrifices, likely made to put bandaids on things, but make it so no one ever had to change their ways. Might God feel the same way about committments and re-committments, after which, the next day, a man refuses to even try to change anything in his life, nor atone for his past actions? (To atone, or so I was taught, means to make right, not apologize.)

To not sin is good for sure, but to atone and turn from evil after one has already sinned, is also good. There is a difference, one is how God is good, He has nothing to atone for. The other is how we humans are good.

I would actually use this passage to call out OSAS theology.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

..........but he himself shall be saved.......

Paul is the one who makes the connection here with a man's salvation. Sorry for your view that he connects this teaching with salvation, but it is what it is.

God bless! :thumbs: