1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you qualified to speak?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Tony, was JamesL being sarcastic? If so I owe him an apology. I will be on the lookout for sarcasm from now on.

2. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

After I read the op I thought Evan was saying, he would not debate anyone in the future that was not qualified in LSD

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that this won't be well received by you. From what you have written here and elsewhere, you get to decide whether someone is qualified to be honored :tonofbricks: with debating with you. And if they do disagree it is only because they haven't deeply examined the Scriptures or read the correct books.

Please take a step back and ask God to develop in you a humble spirit.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Only he can say, but I got the sense, given how many times James and I have been in discussion with Evan, that James was being sarcastic, or at least facetious.

5. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James L(ordship) my apologies, didn't recognize your sarcasm.

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I apologize, I was being facetious.

What I asked is what Evangelist6589 demands. Just read the tag line at the bottom of his posts. He'll tell you how great he is if you give him an ear

Many of us have countered with exactly what you have written, that scripture is enough, that the words of man contained in books should take a back seat to scripture.

Oh, btw...

I didn't make it clear, but the Evangelist and I are friends. We might not always post as though we are, but I love him like a blood brother

7. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do have some questions for LS people.

How does LS stand up to the light of Eph 2:8-9?

What level of not sinning does one have to meet to keep their salvation?

What sins does one commit to lose that salvation?

What does one have to "do" to regain salvation

What is the provision to regain salvation in the light of Heb 6:4-6?

What is the difference in what you believe and what the Pharisees did?

Were the sins of Peter, David, Moses, and Jacob enough for them to lose their salvation?

How can you deny you believe in a works Gospel?

8. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to hear. Got to learn the ropes here.

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh go chase a Rabbit.

[​IMG]

#29 evangelist6589, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the seminary environment you can't just read internet articles or sermons. You have to read the textbook. In a Reformed seminary MacArthur's Gospel According to Jesus or Gospel According to the Apostles would be the book(s) that the quizzes will come from or they may be secondary books, as John Frame wrote a far more exhaustive book on the topic.

About the only persons on this board that I do respect their disagreement on is John C and Deacon in this area. John C read cover to cover more than once the book Tell the Truth which is also a book defending LS and Mac never wrote it.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you James.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you find your name in the OP?

Another person I respect is GreekTim. We disagree on eschatology but he has good reason and has studied dispensationalism.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think you are disqualified given that deep seminary level book you mailed me. That author is very qualified to disagree with LS!

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I quote scripture in my signature.

15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

And we're not in a seminary environment. What do you think MacArthur's book is going to teach me about Lordship Salvation that I don't already know? I've heard his sermons. I've read his articles. I've heard others comment on it. I've listened to Paul Washer run down churches like mine for not believing the doctrine he holds to. I have told you before that I do not find Lordship Salvation to be a Biblically sound doctrine. I've told you before how I view it as a works-based form of salvation.

Reading a book by John MacArthur is not going to change my mind. It's not going to change how I discuss and debate this issue. You have decided that only those with a certain level of education, as judged solely by you, are worthy of debate. I don't mind debating and discussing with you, Evan. But now I find out that, even though I know the LS issue well enough to discuss, I'm no longer wanted in your discussion threads because I haven't read certain books.

We don't have tests and quizzes around here. I've always thought of this forum as a place of debate and discussion, and hopefully a place where we can each grow in the faith by, as I stated to American Dream earlier, "iron sharpening iron." If we follow your example, then we seriously limit those we can hold good, edifying discussion with, simply because we have judged them unworthy to be involved, based on a metric we create for ourselves and enforce on ourselves. Is that really the type of Christian you want to be? If you go out and do your open-air preaching, and someone questions you on Lordship Salvation, do you try to explain it to them, or do you tell them to run down to Barnes and Noble and pick up some books by John MacArthur and come back later once they've read them?

16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lordship salvation is more correct than what is rightly disparaged as "easy believism," but it is not entirely the biblical view.

Lordship salvation assumes that the gospel is about "getting saved" and going to heaven. It is not. The biblical call to discipleship to Jesus is the call to enter the Kingdom of God and find eternal life in an interactive relationship with the Triune God.

And yes, I have read the book by John Mac, as well as the rebuttals such as, "So Great a Salvation." I was in the early phases of my Christian walk when those books first came out and it was the topic of conversation when I was in college earning a theology degree.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious, and I ask in all sincerity...

Have you read any seminary level books about the Emerging Church, Joel Osteen, and other positions with which you disagree?

Oh, and as far as books...

Most Doctoral theses are turned into books. If you want to get the bull by the horns..... How many dissertations have you read?

18. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After telling us of your great accomplishments.

Love you, bro. For real

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This, in no way, justifies your op.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone tell me: was this meant to be a joke, or a sarcastic set-up for the following rant about LS? I think I missed the facetiousness tag....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.