1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are You "Really" Saved?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by desertjim, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertjim

desertjim New Member

My whole point was that you don't have to say REPENT or BURN to preach a salvation message. You just confirmed it with what you said about Spurgeon.

So, I take it we are in agreement?

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I was carrying on a Christ-like discourse. You're the one who chose to insult me, not the other way around.

Nice try, though.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Joel Osteen.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you speaking in tongues or what? Seriously,take your time when typing. How Spurgeon could come out as Spuiegfeon is a mystery. And it's kind of funny to boot.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CORRECT:thumbsup:

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problems are thatI think faster than I type, and at timesdo reversa;s of letters to boot!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, as that style implies a sinner has the free will intact to "accept jesus into their hearts!"

My reading of the scriptures though is that we just declare who Jesus is, what He did, and the Lord will use that to call out and bring those chosen sinners to do as Spurgeon did, look to Christ and get saved!

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Before someone can tell someone else to repent, they must have the moral authority to do so.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why is it that Yeshua and EWF have mature, well reasoned posts, and Desert Jim, John Deere, and Rippon sound like third graders in the middle of a temper tantrum? This thread is a matter of eternal life and death, and obviously, you three would be the last one a person should get advice from on the situation.

"Turn or burn" is about the most off the wall, immature explanation of repentance I have ever heard. When God intervenes in our lives and quickens our spirit, we are a new creation. We repent because of our new nature, not because we decided on our own to create a new path. That would mean we were crafting our own salvation, or a salvation of works. If there is no repentance, or turning around as everyone puts it, there was no quickening. We owe God a lot of thanks for giving us the will to repent and see our sinful state.

If one falls to his or her knees and says I repent of this, this, and that, and God has not entered their lives, in a short period of time, they will be right back to their usual pattern. There is no such thing as a pattern of God saving someone, they repent, then fall right back into their old lost pattern. Now, it is possible for a Christian to stray, but in short order, the Holy Spirit will put that person back on the straight and narrow.

Another point to be made is that no one knows the state of salvation of another. One can make a good guess, but know one knows, despite the theological geniuses on this board who think they do. A disagreement on a certain Biblical doctrine does not translate into I am saved and you are not.

There are lots of clever games played with this idea of knowing another person's salvation on this board. Take the issues of Bible versions, election, and covenant theology to mention a few. Since it is against the rules to say another member is not saved, you might see a phrase like, "it is impossible to see how a true Christian would rely on a NIV Bible" or "believing in election before the foundation of the world is a doctrine from hell." One might as well say the person is unsaved, but word it such that it does not break the rule.

Getting back to "turn or burn." man is initiating the salvation. When God saves us, we do turn and repent.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Good post, SN.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questioning the salvation of other posters on this board is against the rules and could result in getting banned. Bye, bye, troll.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    S/N :"At times in these posts I am guilty of hate speech." 6/5/13

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes that is true. The key word is "at times." You are guilty all the time. As has been pointed out in several posts, no one is perfect, however there is a difference in veering off course and being corrected to return and going off course and never returning.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've been on quite the jag these last 5 months Mike.

S/N : "I sometimes am not civil. In this case,I used a name that was uncalled for. It's far short of cursing,but was very demeaning." 5/6/12

Take note of your quote. It applies not only to your nasty post which was removed by a mod yesterday,but your most recent PM to me a few hours ago. You're shameful.

#34 Rippon, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As this thread has taken an ad hominem turn (actually a page or so back), I am closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.