1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Suprised At Tongue-Speaking Among...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 13, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. LifeWay Resources conducted a studies and found this:

"Half of Southern Baptist pastors say they believe the Holy Spirit gives some people a special language to pray to God – what is known to some as private prayer language – a surprising new study found." You can read more on this at this link

2. Are you surprised that half of SBC pastor believe in tongue-speaking today?

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Their tongues are what most people speak with.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: That was good.

I know half of all pastors are wrong in any number of areas, so this just falls in line with that. Pastors are not without faults :)

4. OllertonHall

OllertonHall New Member

No, I ain't a-tall surprised ( though I have seen no genuine evidence of such ) because of somewhat trustworthy testamony, and, in linguistic sence, tongues still exist, so, a "gift of tongues" i.e. languages, though unkown to the speaker, is possible ...

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

TC there are some old threads on this, so I'm not surprised. And it has been a pretty big deal at the convention level a couple of times at least.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

baaaaaddddd Alcott

;) *snicker*

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

:D It's easy to do in such a surprising area. Caught me off guard when it first popped up.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Since the New Testament does not clearly teach that tongues (etc) have ceased, and since the New Testament clearly lays down guidelines for the church to follow in the practice of tongues (etc), and since it is clear the gifts are still active today, no it is not surprising.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Martin, my friend,

Then you are not a cessasionist. Here's an interesting article or whether you are a cessasionist or not, from David Alan Black, renowed NT and Greek scholar.Click

12. standingfirminChrist

In the majority of Churches where someone speaks in an 'unknown tongue,' either the speaker, or the interpreter is out of order... or both.

How can I say that? Based on Scripture.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Now, if that person speaking in the unknown tongue is speaking unto God as Scripture says he or she is, why is the interpretation of that tongue not to God as well?

But for some reason or another, the interpretation is always given as being from God to man.

That would be like me speaking French to you:
    Allez-vous au marché ? (Are you going to the market?)

And my interpreter saying to you:
    "Not until later this afternoon"

The interpretation must be of the words spoken, not the reply.

There is no order in the so-called tongues and interpretations spoken in many Churches today.

1 Corinthians 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

13. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

I think it has to do a lot with the popular teachers who embrace this. I admit, I used to think that most people who did this were nuts, until I found out that CJ Mahaney, Wayne Grudem, and some others believe in tongue speaking.

And now Martin!! :)

No, I'm gonna take the attitude that the one High Priest, or some Pharisee took when dealing with the Apostles who were healing people by the authority of Jesus. If it's of God, it will continue and he will have to reveal it to us skeptical ones. If it isn't, I'm sure it will die out and just be another trend. At this point, I'm honestly not sure.

One weird thing though, if the gift of tongues is true, then that means that other spiritual gifts must also be working. That would radically alter my understanding of the Christian life.

anyhow, I learn very well through debate. When I watch the positions examined and scrutinized I come to a much more clear understanding. It doesn't need to be professional debaters, but I will give that thread a peak, and maybe some would like to bring up a new discussion. :)

14. standingfirminChrist

Sin still abounds today as it did since Adam and Eve disobeyed God. Is it of God?

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, Wayne Grudem--I couldn't believe it at first but I've come learned to agree to disagree.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Have you considered the arguments for tongue-speaking today? What do you think about them?

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I want to go on record and affirm that I am a passionate continualist"

I think that line about sums me up and I thought Dr. Black's article made many great points. My position on tongues is nothing new, but it is a position I usually keep to myself. Why? It never comes up. However I do believe that God still uses the gifts today. Having said that I want to make some qualifying statements:

1. The New Testament lays down clear guidelines about the use of the gifts (mainly tongues) in the church and those guildelines should be carefully obeyed. (1Cor 14:20-33)

2. The majority of people who speak in tongues in American churches are not following the Scriptural rules. Therefore I have to doubt that most of them truly have the gift.

3. Some Christian denominations have put too much importance on the gifts of tongues (1Cor 14:1-5).

4. I believe the practice of tongues can be helpful in missionary situations in which the missionary does not speak the local language. Just like in the early church, God can cause that missionary to speak in other tongues.

5. That is what tongues is, other languages that the person speaking does not know (has not studied). I find no Scriptural support for mumbling to be tongues (Acts 2:5-11).

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I see that you have separated yourself from the Charismatic Pentecostals. As a continualist, What spiritual gift do you have?

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Growth of Tongues is Exciting

It is exciting for me to hear that there is a growing majority of Baptist pastors experiencing the gift of tongues.

Pastor Paul

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Spiritual gifts? I have the gift of teaching. I have never spoken in tongues or anything like that. As for Charismatic Pentecostals, I think the way the majority of them practice tongues is unBiblical. I am not saying that to be mean, I spent part of my childhood in a Pentecostal church so I have family who are in that denomination. However I believe their practice to be unBiblical.