1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are You Suprised At Tongue-Speaking Among...?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Dec 13, 2007.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Yes, and its a good sign. I wish that percentage was higher.

God bless,

Mike

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

A good sign of being "Spirit-filled" is not having the ability to speak with "other" tongues-----but having the ability to control the tongue you already have!!!

I believe that God has no problem understanding me when I pray in my native tongue----English!!!

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Can I say- AMEN!:thumbs: :applause:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Outta' curiosity, isn't Spanish the language of Venezuela? Don't understand more than a few Spanish words, personally, but aren't Spanish and English roughly tied for the second most widely spoken language in the world (with English having maybe a few more native speakers), after Mandarin?

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

My point is that it is not some relatively exotic or rare language, evne though I don't speak it, myself.

Ed

#44 EdSutton, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well said brother.

6. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Cajuneese is english? :laugh: Thats about like saying Okies speak english....... We aint got no good grammar anyhow.

7. GodsRealTruth

GodsRealTruth New Member

Tongues have ceased

1 Corinthians 13:8 Clearly teaches that tongues have ceased. If you read 1 Corinthians 13-14 it is very clear tongues have ceased. Paul takes a sarcastic tone even in his rebuke of tongues.

I will pray for those half of SBC pastors who are wrongfully teaching this doctrine. I do not believe they are teaching it wrong willfully just out of misundertanding.

John Macarthur has some excellent resources on his website that expounds on the truth of tongues. www.gty.org

God Bless You

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't know if I am surprised, or not.

The Baptist Faith & Message, in any of its three incarnations, does not mention the 'gift' of, or speaking in tongues, at all, as far as I'm aware, and mentions gifts, in the inclusive sense, two times without any distinctions. So I would suggest it is an open question, "in doctrine".

Recent events, however, appear to show that that it is 'arguable' apparently, where the consideration is "in practice".

And as another thread says, "Baptists will argue about anything."

Ed

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I am not a cessationist. However there has never been a prayer language then or now. It is a ridiculous notion really. 1 Cor 14:22 makes the nature of tongues clear.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That passage is refering to eternity in heaven (vs9-13) and not the gifts today. Paul is clear that the gifts are active in the church (1Cor 14:5, 17-19, 39-40.

=="So, dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don't forbid speaking in tongues. But be sure that everything is done properly and in order" -1Cor 14:39-40

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Well, Paul goes on to talk about how tongues should be used in the church so it is not a private gift that nobody can understand. I would also point to how tongues are used in the book of Acts. When used in church, tongues are to be intepreted for the benefit of those in the church. Could tongues be used in private prayer? I suppose so, however my focus is on the church and its mission.

From a Scriptural point of view, I would argue that tongues in church must be interpreted and that tongues can be a helpful gift when used in the context of missionary work. I would also argue, again, that most of what passes for tongues today is not tongues. I would argue that many moderns practice glossolalic utterance and not Biblical tongues. These utterances sound like language, but they are not and therefore cannot be interpreted. The Biblical teaching on tongues is they are actual languages that can be interpreted. Some religion scholars have associated glossolalic utterance with a type of physiological dissociation and/or peer pressure (group culture).

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Since I have never spoken in tongues nor prayed in a language other than English, I'm curious.

Why is such prayer language not practiced universally by believers? What is the difference in those who do and those who don't?

If this is a gift of the Holy Spirit, can anybody figure out why he gives it to some and not others? Is it something you can refuse to use? Do you have to ask for it before the HS gives it to you?

How does the prayer language benefit? What form does it take?

Can you stop praying in an unknown prayer language at will? Can you turn it on at will?

I've had some rather mystical experiences after praying (in English).

Just curious, if this is so great, why don't I have it?

13. standingfirminChrist

According to Paul's epistle to the Church at Corinth any unknown tongue that is spoken in the Church must be interpreted. If there is no interpreter present, that tongue is not to be spoken.

As I pointed out previously, the unknown tongue is spoken to God, and never to man. Therefore, the interpretation must be directed to God and not to man... otherwise, it is not a true interpretation of the tongue spoken.

When speaking of the interpreter having to be present, I believe it is speaking of one who God has given the gift of interpretation. The gift of interpretation is not the same as one who learned to interpret through study. The gift is given, not worked for.

It must be one who God has given the gift to so the glory can go to God and not to man.

The Scripture tells us tongues are for the unbeliever, not the believer. When the unbeliever hears the speaking of the unknown tongue, and the interpretation thereof, that hearer must come to the realization that both the tongue and the interpretation was not of man.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its because (cough, cough)

Its because (ummmmmm)

See???

You ain't let yourself go, Tom!!!! Son!!!! You ain't tryin' hard enough!!! Its like rubbin' two sticks together in order to get a spark---some people know how to do it---some don't!!!:type: The colder it is out---the harder and faster you learn how to rub those two sticks!!!!

It ain't nothin' I've lost sleep over!!! Some of the same ones who claim a prayer language---over the past---haven't thought twice about getting in my face(the preacher) and unloading some of the most ungodly garbage into my ear---I don't get it---their language is so sweet to the Lord---but they don't know how to express themselves to their fellowman!!!

Don't loose no sleep over it, Brother---you ain't missed a thing!!!!

15. reformedbeliever

You ragin cajun! Why don't you just tell it the way you see it! :laugh:

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There's a sweet sweet Spirit in this plaaacccceeee . . . .

17. standingfirminChrist

Is the gift of tongues still in operation? I believe it is... but it isn't this gibberish you hear in pentecostal and charismatic... and lately ... Southern Baptist churches.

God is not the author of confusion!

18. reformedbeliever

Are you still confused about marrying within your own race?

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean by "to God". Can you elaborate more on what that means?

Now this is an excellent point.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

This point is one that is not as clear as you make it seem. There are some who beleive Paul is saying they will cease at the second coming of Christ when things like prophecy, tongues or even preaching will no longer be needed because all of the saints will be made perfect. We will however still need Love.

The support for this theory lies in verse 10 and the fact that he also says knowledge will also vanish away.

1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.