1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are you the 5th Gospel?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 25, 2014.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, John. I hope that you did not think poorly of me, that I was harassing you for insisting the importance of reading Dr. Conway’s book before reviewing it. I remember writing a review for one of Brian McLaren’s book. The view he presented was heresy, but it was important for me to read and carefully consider what the man wrote before putting pen to paper. It was important because I needed to genuinely engage and represent what the author was presenting and it was important for my own integrity. I did not want to bear false witness against him but I also did not want to present unfounded conclusions. In short, the ends never justify the means. Anyway, I have the book and will carefully consider your first assessment and may reply after dinner. I genuinely look forward to an honest engagement.

#41 JonC, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Before I begin…I know the answer to your two wings of an airplane question….if Dr. Conway is saying the same as Metzger. He offers evangelism and apologetics.

Lets deal with a couple of issues right off the bat (probably easier than going down your whole “review.”

Anything can be “interpreted” as heretical. The question is whether or not it is. Do you find the ‘5th Gospel” being the testimony of the believer heretical. Obviously the title is not heresy…the four Gospels are the testimony of John, Matthew, Luke, and Mark - not the gospel message itself and this is not the context of the title anyway (the context is that we are to live sanctified lives, as lights in the world). Heresy is often thrown around here, but it is a serious claim. Please explain your conclusion.
    Dr. Conway stresses the importance of sharing the gospel message verbally and living a life that is a testimony as well (he finds that many seem to be living a life of hypocrisy). Conway condemns the popular phrase “preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.” He notes that Saint Francis (the one to whom the phrase is falsely attributed) was an open-air preacher who thought “words were very necessary.” His conclusion is that we should not “be ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.” He does seem to reject the need for ‘new methods’ or more ‘professional’ churches. Instead it is the Word of God that is the power of God for salvation. Salvation does not hinge on us, but we are to preach the gospel to the world. So if your conclusion is that Conway overstates the power of the gospel. The author emphasizes the necessity of every believer to communicate the gospel message (verbally). Scripture also speaks of our testimony in terms of how we live. Others should see Christ in us by our interactions and our conduct. It seems that you are denying the following : 1 Peter 2:12; 2 Cor 3:2-3; Matthew 5:14-16; Ephesians 2:10; 2 Peter 1:5-8, 2 Cor 4:6-10....or severely misrepresenting Dr. Conway.

When Will Metzger (Tell the Truth, 24-25) says that “both our words and our ways are inextricably bound together in witnessing,” you agree. When Dr. Conway communicates the exact same thing he is misunderstanding Scripture? Please explain your conclusions so that I can better understand your position.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea whether it's garbage or not. I was just making a point.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :wavey: Sorry for misunderstanding. I was getting aggravated with the unsubstantiated criticisms (it was called heresy, blasphemy, etc) but no one would say why. When I viewed the video and read the link...well, I could not see what was so hideous. He was in line with Scripture. I even bought the book...still have not seen where he presents heretical views. Guess I was feeling left out of the bashing club. :tear:

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just back from men's discipleship study so will need to wait for the other thread.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone is mailing me the book and I will read it. But perhaps I am incorrect and or am interpreting the book in my Way of the Master worldview, which would not think highly of anything that is not open air preaching and using the law in confrontations with sinners.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand how I missed the portion in bold. I retract my question.

It is good that you have decided to read the book itself. :)

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the WOTM really think lowly of other "methods"...or those who don't follow methods...in evangelism regardless of their practice lines up with Scripture? I think, for example, of Jesus' example with the woman at the well, or Paul's examples in Acts. I will take your word for it as I am only slightly familiar with WOTM...but if I understand correctly then WOTM is walking a very tight line...maybe at the expense of holding a biblical position on evangelism.

#48 JonC, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014