1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Are Your Pets Scared by Fireworks?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 2, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our city, the use of fireworks is illegal, but you'd never know it. The weeks leading up to the 4th of July grow with the pops, booms, and cackles of people who break the laws, and cops that refuse to enforce the laws. Our neighborhoods look more like Disneyland on the 4th then a quiet, law-abiding community.

Last night I personally witnessed as a group of neighborhood teens tossed three M-80's into the street, in succession. When I called the cops, they told me that along with my testimony of what I saw, I'd need to produce "residue" to support my claims.

I am not a Scrooge about fireworks. However, my pets are scared so bad that prescribed tranquillizers don't even keep them from shaking and panting.

It is time to stop the illegal use of fireworks, which is why I ask each of you with animals, to let your voices be heard. If fireworks are illegal in your community, then, please step to the plate and get your law enforcement folks to do more than they are currently doing.

And be sure to bring your little guys in the house this Wednesday and give them a safe, soundproof place to hide while the ground shakes and the skies light up. That is the least we can do for our pets...

Shalom, and thanks for thinking of your pets! :thumbsup:

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

This one (an eight month old golden retriever) seems to be afraid of nothing :laugh:, so I guess we'll see.

I do sympathize with you though, having had a beagle years ago that was petrified every Fourth.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

This is obviously a bone tossed in here to create a theological dispute!:tonofbricks:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our old dog was petrified of the fireworks and so we just put cotton balls in her ears and tried to play the music loud all night. It was terrible. But it was actually the 4th of July that she first slept at my house! Her owners (who had just rescued her from the euth. table two months before) had gone away for two days and left her outside with food, water and an enclosed porch to go to. But she was so afraid and we had made friends so she came DIVING at my back door to come in. Mom finally said she could come in and stay with us and so that was the beginning. Two days later when her owners came home, we offered to take her and they gave us her leash and food bowls. I had her for 16.5 years after that. But she never got over her fear of fireworks. :(

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your dogs have free will. :tongue3:

:smilewinkgrin:

I suggest you face some facts for the benefit of your dogs:

You cannot do anything about people celebrating and it is inevitable that the evil fireworks will be going off. So understand that your dogs have a pack-mentality and you are the alpha in that pack. You are obviously getting worked up over the upcoming events before they even happen. When your dogs see their alpha react to the noises by jumping up and going into a rant it excites them and makes them more afraid. So the best thing you can do for your dogs is to not react and give your dogs a brief, calm reassuring pat while demonstrating as little excitement as possible, this includes over-responding to their reactions.

6. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are great points, BEN...

...however, after ten years, we have done everything by the book, and she is still frightened to death. We continue to do as you suggest, and this year, we purchased that Thunder Shirt/Coat seen on television. The jury is still out on how well it works. Come to find out, the owner must use it for several weeks to see changes. Lucky for us, we've had a few weeks to get her used to the shirt.

We can't tranquillizer her due to her age. So we take her in a small room, turn up the sound and watch TV. However, the fireworks used around here are the ones that shake and rattle the windows and floors, and there isn't any hiding that from a dog.

We usually end up loading her into the car and driving around for four hours, because the idiots who shoot off the illegal fireworks do it for that long, or longer.

BTW - in case you didn't notice in my PM, I stated loud and clear that fireworks, of any kind, ARE ILLEGAL. So it has nothing to do with the owner working themselves up in front of the dog. It has all to do with people following laws, and when they don't, the cops enforcing the $1,000.00 civil penality/fine I worked so hard to get the County Board of Supervisor to pass three years ago. It used to be $50.00.

I can stand out in front of my home, and as the cop car moves down the street, neighbors are lighting fireworks in the street, and the cop simply drives by and does nothing.

I say, get rid of the law, or enforce it. There can't be any middle ground when it comes to this blatant breaking of a code/statute/law.

Your comments and suggestions are great for dogs that respond to behavioral modification techniques. And if fireworks were legal here, I'd not even be complaining.

Thanks for your thoughts, though, as they reinforce what we've tried, unsuccessfully, for ten years now.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By your response I would find it difficult to believe you do not react in a way that doesn't cause, and/or hasn't a negative response according to your dog's way of thinking and learning.

I addressed a common mis-understanding of dog owners in what has a profound effect on a dog's reactions by what they observe and do so from the perspective of being a top breeder of a rare breed who has had more championships from my lines that any other breeder for my breed in the country. Most people do not come close to realizing the affects they have on their dogs behavior or how to correct it. The fact that I continually see people amazed at how easily corrections can be made testifies to this. But considering your disposition, after ten years...like they say: It's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

#7 Benjamin, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Opinion is Noted...

...the reason I don't counsel, or try to assist others by way of cyber space is that it is difficult to make an accurate assessment. While I realize you are right about what works for most dogs, your observation of me is not correct. Let's leave it at that.

Again, you input and feedback is appreciated, and I'm sure you help dones of pet owners. :type:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is interesting is that my dog came afraid of fireworks and thunderstorms. I would not even realize anything was wrong until she was in my lap shaking. I don't think all dogs react to their owner's feelings about what's going on. I think some dogs just are afraid.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our dog was scared to death of them.

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, I wasn't saying the sole cause of a dog being afraid of loud noises was their owners, but that the owner's response can have a lot to do with how the dog learns to cope. Such as when thunder hits and the members of the household jump and go 'WHOOOO that WAS A CLOSE ONE!!!" and everyone gets kinda excited. In dog-speak the dogs comprehends you howling in fear and excitement and you being the alpha this gives him something more to be concerned about. I know someone who trained their dog that when thunder hit it was time for dog bone, the dog would run to cabinet and expect a treat when he heard it. If they're aready scared the best thing for them is to see calm. Believe it or not, they don't comprehend words all too well but what they actually do is associate certain sounds and gestures with reactions. ;)

#11 Benjamin, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your mailbox is full, but as per your PM I don't have to have the "discernment or prophesy" to have the intelligence to know that your reactions are clearly present and they in fact do have an effect on your dog during these events.

I also understand that I did not give you the answer you looking for, you were looking for support in your actions against the evil-doers of fireworks. I chose rather to support your dog being aware of what he must be exposed to concerning your disposition in the matter which is even more apparent now that you have taken the offense you have that I didn't chose your side but that of the dog's.

The only opinion you got from me on the legality of the matter is that it is inevitable that people will disregard these laws. Considering that, I would suggest you save yourself all the stress from getting worked up about it and be more concerned for the wellfare of your animals by doing everything "you" can do to "calm" the situation. I consider that the best choice and the right answer to your OP.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Dont go over the earnings limit for SS going to work for the Comedy Channel and giving up your pension. LOL. Happy 4th to you and your family.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, this year fireworks are banned because of the heat and drought here in west Kentucky. We have a Maltese that barks at fireworks, thunder, and the sun rising. Our cat runs under the bed during a thunderstorms. The parakeets generally ignore any noise.

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise Report on Fireworks and Our Dog....

....We've seen that ad on the "Thunder Shirt" and how the company claimed it will help your dog feel safe.

I doubted the product, but after five years of training and classes to help her, I told my wife to go ahead and buy one. We had it for a month before the fourth, and she started wearing it every night.

By the fourth of July, she was at the point where she would come to us and stare at the place the shirt was stored, telling us that she wanted the shirt on. This was another claim of the product [that your dog would actually want to wear it and take you to the shirt to have it put on].

In short, she survived this holiday with reduced stress and trepidation. And while I doubted this product would work; I discovered that the Thunder Shirt, along with our ignoring the problem [illegal fireworks] resulted in little trauma.

I believe we finally found the right combination to help her with her fears. We've always approached the issue of fireworks with calm and disregard [along with a dark room, loud music, etc.]; but that never quite worked. However, this product and the lessons we've learned, and put into practice, combined to make her evening [and the ones leading up to the big night] just another night with a spooked moment here and there.

Even though the use of fireworks was worse this year than last, she was as calm as we've ever seen her. I'm not selling this product, but I highly recommend you give it a try. For us, it was well worth the $40.00 price tag. :type:

God does answer our prayers in strange ways.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Completely off subject, but I have a friend who spent two tours in Vietnam and he says he has difficulty watching fireworks. The smaller fireworks sound like small arms fire, the bigger ones sound like rockets or mortar rounds. He tries to enjoy these shows, but they bother him.

17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Can Understand that...

...when I first got discharged, I remember having similar feelings. This is not off-topic at all. People are effected by fireworks too. Thanks!!! :thumbsup: