1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ARG!!!!! Ugh.... death.

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Mar 16, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's a man that we know from our yacht club who was dying of cancer. Bob called yesterday and asked if he could come over but the wife asked that he come today. Bob called today and she said probably this afternoon would be good - she was running out for a little bit. Well, he just got a call that he passed away. We know he heard the Gospel because he was at the funeral of another friend who's funeral Bob did and he clearly gave the Gospel message there but he was hoping to speak to Ebbe again about the Lord. SIGH - Well, God knows what He's doing and we have to trust Him but it's still hard. We still want to get in the last word before someone dies but who knows what went on in his heart.

So pray for Bob as he now will be doing this funeral of a man who we don't believe was saved but do not know for sure. However, the majority of those who come will be unsaved - and people we know well through the boating community. Pray that God will use this funeral to bring more to Him.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I pray that the Lord would cause His Holy Spirit to go before you, and that your dear husband would have the very words of God to speak at this event.

I've had to do a number of funerals for lost persons. Everyone wants to hear that they are "in a better place now." Can't say that... I can say that they are in a "different" place now, but I can't say better.

A couple of really difficult funerals for me were my grandmother and my wife's brother... Imagine doing an un-saved funeral ceremony for direct family, many of whom were also lost.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Will be praying, Ann.

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been there, done that! Praying.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks all. Bob did an amazing job. I'm just in awe of how he's doing this pastoring thing. :) He's good! LOL But it was interesting because it was an unsaved man's funeral full of unsaved people - people who we have known for 19 years. They know Bob's a Christian and they know he's now a pastor but I have to say that something like this opens doors even more. I heard our commodore whisper to someone right after he finished the short message "He does his job REALLY well!" He had someone call him the next day to ask him questions and then when he went down to town to take a walk later yesterday, he bumped into another guy who asked a lot of questions. So God's using Bob to hopefully open doors for people and maybe open hearts! Praise God!

I have to say, as Bob's wife for almost 26 years, and always knowing he'd be a pastor (but he never knew), I'm so proud of what I'm seeing in him. He's now doing what God has designed him to do. I know it. He's comfortable in his new role - like he's been doing it for years and years. It was just 2002 when he first came on staff as a pastoral intern and it was 2006 when he was ordained. The work God has done on him in these years is amazing. God is SOOOOO good.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying that this coninues to open up opportunities to tell people about Jesus.