1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ariz. gov. vetoes religious rights bill

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should have been signed!

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

That isn't true. Anyone can refuse service to anyone, it's been part of the law since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Ever see one of these signs?

[​IMG]

That's all you have to do. The bakery, the photographer, and anyone else who has been sued by gays because they were refused services made the mistake of telling them it was because there were gay. That's begging for a lawsuit. And they got one.

I stand by my previous comments. We don't want to be accused, as Christians, of codifying discrimination, and that's what this bill and the one Kansas voted down last week would have done. We already have the right to refuse service. We just don't want to say why. Give them a couple names and move on. We aren't going to convince them of the wrongness of their lifestyle, and by saying, "I'm a Christian and your lifestyle goes against my religious beliefs," you get what you ask for.

This debate is getting ridiculous. Supporting Jim Crow laws against gays?? And what does that make us? Certainly not "good witnesses for Christ," not even close.

#42 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You're baking them a cake as part of your business. Once it's out of your hands, it's theirs to do with as they please. What does refusing to sell them goods that are for sale have to do with love?

I'm sure that he sells cakes to liars who keep lying. Does that mean he is condoning their sinful lifestyles? I'm sure he sales cakes to fornicators who celebrate the birthdays of their fellow fornicators. Does that mean he is condoning their sinful lifestyle?

You're selling a PRODUCT. You're not endorsing a person and what they do.

You can be actively gay and saved. Just like you can be an active liar, adulterer, covetor, thief, etc. and still be saved. Hopefully the Holy Spirit and mature Christians are directing such people away from those sins. But folks commit all sorts of sin and are still saved.

There is but one sin that cannot be forgiven. And nowhere in Scripture does it say that to be the homosexual offense.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And the Church should be saying AMEN!

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You know the people at PP need Jesus too. People thought Jesus was condoning sin when HE ate with the tax collectors. I'm about sharing the love of Jesus with people who need Him. If that means selling them a cake, so that it opens up a relationship whereby I get to tell them about Jesus and why ALL life is precious, then yep, I'll bake them a cake.

Why would the SBC or any CHurch go against God's definition of what marriage is?

There is a stark difference between saying that something is okay that God says is a sin and selling a product.

I didn't know Pope Pius XII so I can only tell you what historical records say of him.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You're funny. All you do is speak against the oppressed. Try a little love instead of getting stuck on convincing them that they are wrong about your pet sin.:thumbsup:

If you're the elect, then start acting like the One Who elected you.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What illicit activities? What law would you be breaking by selling someone a cake? Are you stuffing it with pot or cocaine?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, NOT refusing to service gay people, just desiring to exercise freedom of religion to NOT be forced to say cater gay wedding, will sellt hem the cakes in business setting, but NOT taking them to the "church" for a gay wedding!

Do you see the Govt calmoring to have Muslims serve Jews, or KKK set up shop in NAACP town meeting to sell coffee and cake?

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only unnecessary, but it could backfire on Christians. Imagine signs in businesses, "We don't serve born-again Christians" or "We don't serve creationists".

Before anyone says that is far-fetched, just consider the allegations that if gay marriage is legalized the next thing will be a man wanting to marry his goat.

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is about trying to steal someone's business if they refuse to make a special product for you. I am going to go downtown to Shapiro's Deli and ask them to bake me a cake with swastikas on it to show a little love for the Nazi party that they voted for in the White House.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

That's a joke, Yeshua. The bills in Arizona and Kansas may not have mentioned gays, but that's exactly who the bills were aimed at. And church bylaws state (and if they don't, they should) that churches are for use by members only.

This is about discrimination, nothing less. If you can live with that, fine, but I don't want my faith to be the reasoning behind a Jim Crow law for gays. Especially when the law isn't necessary, given there is already a way to legally refuse service to them

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, NOT saying that we refuse a gay couple dinner at my diner, but will refuse to be forced to cater their "gay wedding!"

How can I partake of what is an abomination before God?

And how can one willfully walk, continue to habitually practice and condone being gay, a muderer, raptist etc , and still claim that they love and obey God?

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go ahead and try it. If the owner refuses, what's your response? All the owner has to say is, "I don't want to do it" and not give a reason. These Christians could have done similarly with their catering or photography business and there would be no brou-haha.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, we are NOT refusing gay people service to have dinner, sleep in motel etc, but are saying can refuse to cater their gay weddings, print out fliers for gay attraction meeting etc!

doesn't God Himself already discriminate against that lifestyle choice, was he wrong indoing that?

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

What part of "I can't do it," do you not understand? That's all that needs be said, and we already have the right to say that. Give them a couple names of other bakers, photographers, or whatever, and move on.

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you people that support this law expect to screen every customer that comes into your business? Are you going to ask them point blank, "Are you gay"?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Muslims object to doing things for reliogious reason, also Jews, why not us also then?

Freedom of religion allows us to decide wether to do business or not, correct?

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's not complicated...

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. This just flies in the face of understanding that we are still in the world. If businesses decided that they no longer wanted to do business with churches or evangelicals because of our stances, would we view the bill the same way?

If your favorite restaurant put up a sign saying "we no longer serve evangelical Christians because of how they treat some of our other customers" what would we think?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do justify homosexuality then still?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.