1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arizona Governor Signs Tough Bill on Hiring Illegal Immigrants

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by KenH, Jul 3, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the governor has problems with the bill but at least she signed it. :thumbs:

"Expressing frustration with the lack of a federal immigration law overhaul, Gov. Janet Napolitano of Arizona signed a bill yesterday providing what are thought to be the toughest state sanctions in the country against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Ms. Napolitano, a Democrat, called the bill flawed and suggested that the Arizona Legislature reconvene to repair problems with it, but she nevertheless moved forward “because Congress has failed miserably,” she wrote in a statement."

- rest at www.nytimes.com:80/2007/07/03/us/03arizona.html?ex=1341115200&en=b8e687b7818501af&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, let's blame business for engaging in the free market, and above all let's not blame the congress and the state govts as well who have woefully failed at securing our nation's borders. Typical claptrap from people who want to argue that business is to blame for society's ills.:rolleyes:

Yes, let's add state law that is toothless and pointless: there's already a federal law that makes hiring illegals a crime. Enforce the laws on the books, people.

This is just meaningless legislation not worth the cost the poor people of Arizona paid to have it printed.

#2 TomVols, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! edited: too brief.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A business that hires an illegal alien is just as guilty of breaking the law as an illegal alien is. Book 'em, Dano.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't disagree. However, in one very real sense they are engaging in the marketplace. If there were no illegals, or if illegals demanded higher wages than citizens, would illegals be employed? Supply and demand.

Think of it this way: what would be the better deterrant for prostitution? A law criminalizing prostitution, or the elimination of the demand and/or supply?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no interest in trading the sovereignty of these United States for a cheaper head of lettuce.

If businesses have a legitimate need for foreign workers then they should obey the law and go to the Congress and petition for more workers. A need for more workers does not justify breaking the law.

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Slave labor used would be really cheap. Are businesses justified today in the U.S. for using slave labor since it's so much cheaper? supply and demand.

Break the law; pay for it. That's my motto.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken: Agreed about sovreignty, but you're misunderstanding my point. The govt has failed us. I just don't buy the liberal "let's blame businesses" or "let's pass more laws" junk. Enforce the laws on the books. Meanwhile, no one should be surprised that the free market works.

James: I'm not disagreeing with any of you about the law. However, this slave labor bit is a bromide. Illegals are making quite a nice living, as many own their own homes, etc. Some of you may have the concept that illegals are all out there making 3 bucks an hour. I can show you dozens that live near me that make hundreds a week. I can show you many in other areas I've lived that do the same thing. So argue with the free market if you want. The illegals are going to be part of it until the govt takes its responsibility seriously. The answer is to enforce the laws, not pass meaningless, headline grabbing, taxpayer wasting window-dressing.

9. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the idea that illegal aliens are only doing jobs that Americans won't do is false.

By the way, I am all for the federal government enforcing the laws on the books. The problem is they aren't so the Arizona state government has passed it own law. Let's give the Arizona state government a chance to see if it will enforce its new law.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think I found something on this at the Arizona Republic website: http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special12/articles/0524sanctions0524.html

If this is the bill, two things immediately bother me. One, AZ is to use the Federal software to create a database to check the status of immigrants and their SS numbers (if they have one). This system is notoriously unreliable and one of the boondoggles that weighs down the federal enforcement. Second, the article claims this is all based on the models in CO and GA. I know that GA folks are frustrated to no end with their enforcement, and I believe I've read the same about CO.

If this is the final legislation, then this may not help the people of AZ one whit.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It probably won't help doing it on a state level, but I understand why some states are trying. It is the federal government's responsibility to defend our nation's borders.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm tempted to have some Constitutional fun with you on this and ask if this isn't a state's rights issue, but I won't :)