1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arizona Immigration Bill - What is objectionable

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok. I concede. Cooler heads are taking charge here. I'm still weary of the Law but will see it in practice before jumping to judgement. I know how bad things can get. And liberties should not be viewed at lightly.

2. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all I said I'm not in favor of a police state. So a Police State that goes after businesses I would not be in favor of either.

Business and owners that hire illegals are breaking the law as USC 8 specifies. So they are criminals. In suites and maybe causcasian or black or asian or even hispanic. Still criminals. Companies hiring illegals are not minding their own business they are cutting labor cost illegally. Companies that do illegal things are criminals just as are criminals because they operate illegally. See. We don't give a pass on businessess just because.

3. targus

targus New Member

And people who enter the U.S. from other countries illegally are not breaking the law?

Why the double standard?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

JG, I think that was Reagan's line of thought when he granted amnesty to the illegals in the 1980's. Many view this as one of his worst decisions.

I think if we do that, we'll just look up a few years down the road, and we'll be looking at the same problem.

The one place I personally have mercy are those who came here as very young kids/toddlers/babies...and stay here until adulthood (or close to it). They are truly victims. Others are not; they are reaping the consequences of their actions (or we are).

One thing not discussed so much (and if we do so, it must be delicately done)--the epidemic of (particularly female) illegals who are victims of the s.x trafficking plague. Some of the reports I've seen about their plight is absolutely chilling.

5. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

I think the only way amnesty works is if we completely and forever secure our borders to the point that the only people who come here are the onles we let in, similar to the DMZ. Having been stationed on it for a year back in the 90's, I can attest with 100% certainty that NO ONE goes across that border area unless they are invited. Reagan's problem with the amnest is that he didn't at the same time secure the border preventing MORE illegals to come across. That's where the problem lies.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No double standard. I just think asking our police to act like ghestapo is wrong because everyone whether illegal or not is affected. Legal US citizens have rights that protected them from seizure and intrution by the government when ever the government feels like it. Now Garrett is right in that local law enforcement do not have the resources to really act like ghestapo and most will up hold the constitutional requirements as established in each state. a few have been and always will be problematic in using new laws to lessen the force of the US Constituton and allow them to act like SS. However, these are in the minority. Now the US has a problem with illegals. My suggestion is if you REALLY want to deal with the problem you provide a "poison pill". In other words, hit those who Hire, pay , shelter, etc... Illegals regularily and make it not worth comming here since they won't be able to earn a living. Mexicans will then stop comming here to the US in such great numbers. Then the agriculture, Meat processing plants and the rest stop hiring illegals. What options do they have? Very few and the problem of illegal immigration is dealt with

The fact is that no one really wants to deal with the problem is significant. Illegal mexicans are almost invited to the US. Why because you can't lower fixed cost. Labor Cost are variable cost and you can lower variable cost. IF we stop the illegal immagrants from comming to the US You will see the cost of groceries increase significantly. Inflation in the food sector would be outrageous. No one really wants that So there is a lot of Talk. This is also the problem with amnesty. You would have to treat 12 million mexicans like regular americans and thus minimum wage would be in effect. The only benefit to amnesty is it lowers the age problem with social security. It increases amount of money going into the trust and spreads the burden from the few x and y generation from being the sole supporters of the larger baby boomer generation. Also if you want to stop the drugs from comming to the US convince people to stop using them. Also support mexico in its drug war since its military can obviously be bought of and ours are proctected somewhat from that. A few well placed bombs can rid us of certain cartels.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We Americans already have laws to do the things you mentioned (or most of them) but they are not enforced.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you which shows you the actual problem. Our leaders and most people really don't want the Illegals to go away. We appreciate their services. I'm certain an over zealous ICE officer would be repremanded.

9. targus

targus New Member

Yes - you have a double standard.

You are advocating that the police act like the SS against businesses. Business owners have rights too.

Not all businesses hire illegal immigrants.

Why do you want to deny their rights that protect them against seizure and intrusion?

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No I am not. I'm suggesting they enforce the law already established before the Arizona debaucle as writen in USC 8. And they are not being Ghestapo but fallowing the law with out infringement on citizens rights. Businesses not operating in accordance with the law are what? violators. If buisnesses do not hire illegals for slave like conditions then what happens to the illegals? They go away. See. That was simple. However to place every citizen at risk of loosing their rights is a travesty. Now I suggested that the Arizona law was the first step in movement to a police state. What do you think the next step is? Read this Article. http://wjz.com/local/preakness.fight.internet.2.1708562.html

Now not only is there a vague law to provide for questioning and documenting verification of regular citizens. Abuse by LEO's are now being overlooked by another states law. What will be the next step?

11. targus

targus New Member

So which businesses do you single out to check the immigration status of workers?

Businesses that are guilty of nothing more than "working while brown"?

Why should businesses that are operating legally be subjected to your gestapo tactics?

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Every one knows who hires the illegals common its no secret.

13. targus

targus New Member

That sounds like profiling.

I thought you are against that.

If it's no secret can you please provide me with some examples?

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Profiling is different then knowing what businesses are involved in illegal activity. And its a shame you would rather loose your rights than deal with criminals.

15. targus

targus New Member

How do you know which businesses are or are not hiring illegal immigrants?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    because they aren't identified as hiring illegal immegrants. I don't know where you live but just ask who's hiring the illegals in your area and you'll know soon enough.

17. targus

targus New Member

Identified as hiring illegal immigrants? Identified by who?

It sounds like you are in favor of snitching in order to identify where you are going to send the gestapo police.

It sounds like you are using "reasonable suspicion" as your basis for "demanding papers" from businesses who may be guilty of nothing more than "working while brown".

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're funny. Do you know where they sell shoes in your town? is it "snitching"? You can also find who's selling drugs in your town. You know how? By asking. Same thing with illegals. Honestly, your making this more difficult than it is.

19. targus

targus New Member

I am simply trying to understand this distinction that you are making between identifying individual illegal immigrants and identifying businesses that hire them.

You are opposed to asking individuals to identify themselves - that is supposedly a violation of rights.

But you are in favor of businesses "producing papers" to prove that they are not hiring illegal immigrants.

Until the business produces their "papers" you have no real basis for accusing them of wrong doing.

Also - if someone knows who is hiring illegal immigrants, that someone must also know which individual people being hired are illegal immigrants. Would you be in favor of the police asking someone about who is an illegal immigrant and then asking those people for proof of ID?

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you kill a weed? You go to the root of the problem. Since we can't deal with Mexico's poverty we deal with the root problem in the US. those who hire illegals. And your assumption is wrong about businesses. They can commit all sorts of crimes even if they have their papers for incorporation. And you can always look at their books with reveal quite a bit. But I think you value human rights on a general level than a legal entity (not a actual person) created to access more capital and limit liability. Its a shame I remember a great story about Milton Hershey during the depression. Some on offered to sell him a back hoe for lower cost. He declined. He said I'd rather use the money to hire men to dig who need to feed their families than save a limited amount on this back hoe. You would rather treat regular american's and illegals with less dignity than an idealized business breaking the law. Shame.