1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arm the Teachers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting post from facebook

I'm a teacher, and now you want to arm me? O.k.- Arm me with a positive attitude about education that starts in the home. Arm me with an active home-school connection so that you know exactly what is happening in each and every one of your child's classes. Arm me with a child who has had a decent breakfast, and a good night's sleep. Arm me with an FYI if your child is being bullied or doing the bullying. Arm me with your presence at conferences. Arm me with the knowledge that you are not letting TV and violent video games do your parenting. Arm me by listening to professionals who might be telling you things about your child that aren't comfortable but are necessary for you to hear and act upon. Arm me with these things and I can make a difference; arm me with any kind of weapon and you have just exacerbated this whole crazy problem.

I agree with the poster - but we still need plan B

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Giving those charged with the safety of children the means to defend them from violent aggressors is exacerbating the problem?

Home invasions are a problem. Do armed parents exacerbate the problem, or abate it?

Hint: don't ask a liberal this question.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I like the quote.

But on 'Plan B' - How is everyone going to feel the first time a teacher thinks a student is pulling a gun and shoots him dead. How about when a teacher is a high stress threatening environment just 'loses it' and opens fire on the class?

Think about it, would you really want some of those PE coaches you had to be armed?

BTW, just found this from 'Israel Today' about the supposed arming of Israeli teachers.

#3 NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
  4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

When I was in high school there were several firearms on campus. That number increased greatly during hunting seasons (that's plural because we have a few during the year for different game). Those firearms belonged to students and staff alike.

We did not have any issues.

If you look at the current Texas model you will find one that requires not just the normal training for the concealed permit but additional training to be allowed to carry in class. I see it as a workable model that I am very much in favor of. Most of those 6 and 7 year olds would be here for Christmas if even one adult that tried to confront Adam Lanza had been armed.

Instead of common sense solutions we're on the brink of making law abiding citizens into criminals overnight just like we did with Prohibition.

Do we really trust a government that gave weapons to drug cartels that were then used to murder federal agents to tell us how handle firearms? It's insane.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a gun club at my high school. I wore a Buck knife on my belt an used it often at school.

The problem is not guns at school, it's how students are taught.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I agree, Roger

My sister is a Principal at a rather large surburban elementary school in Baton Rouge----she has 2 assistants and a counselor on her administration staff----she DOES NOT want to arm teachers OR administration---and she will not allow them to "Conceal Carry"

Bad enough having to deal with spaced out children and their spaced out parents------last thing she wants is to deal with an armed teacher---who turns into some sort of Wyatt Urp at Tombstone!!!

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have to agree with your sister.

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I understand the logic of not allowing responsible people to carry because crazies do carry. Of course, I don't understand the gun control crowd in general.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    arm me with any kind of weapon and you have just exacerbated this whole crazy problem.

and so it goes, and so it goes, yet NO ONE OF THESE KNEE-JERK "TAKE THE GUNS AWAY" DENOUNCERS CAN STATE CATEGORICALLY WHETHER AN ARMED, RESPONSIBLE STAFF OR TEACHER OR GUARD IN AN ACTIVE SHOOTING TARGET AREA WILL AND CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

If people can't see that a trained and responsible armed guard stops crime I don't know what to tell you.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't want to work in a school with armed teachers.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Armed guard, yes

Armed teacher, no

My sister is a principal at a large elementary school in Baton Rouge----there is an armed off duty Sheriff's Deputy there at all times

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the difference other than there is one less salary to pay.

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

If she can't trust the people she works with your sister needs to find some new teachers.

Look at the Texas model. It is well thought out and practical.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there is the difference in training and purpose.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they can all be trained be trained. And they all already have that purpose.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Keep in mind that back in the 60's the teachers and their unions were the one pushing to do away with corporal punishment and allow the students to express themselves.
    I had the back of hand hit more than once by a teacher with a ruler and then to the office to have my backside taken care of and then home to get it done correctly. Now day parents will take their children side so often over a teacher or even a police man. You know, my child is a good one.
    One. I believe their are many if not most teachers don't want to carry arms, if they don't want to punishment kids, do we think they want to protect them with a gun. So much starts at home for the student as well as the teacher.
    Two. I don't believe most parents would want it either. Many don't trust the teachers but trust their children and will take their children's word over the teachers.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its the nut behind the trigger