1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Armenian Baptists?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jeremiah2911, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

I have a question. I was saved in a Baptist Church that is Armenian [General Baptist], after many years of studying and reading very learned mens writings, and Holy Ghost conviction, I have become very Calvinistic in my theology, especially in the area of eternal security. My question is, besides General Baptist and Free Will Baptist [very localized factions], are there any other Baptist denominations which are Armenian?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Southern Baptists... :)

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The United Baptists, some of the Old Regular Baptists(maybe even a majority of them now???), the SBC, just to name a few.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You beat me to the punch!!

[​IMG]

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Not to nit-pick, but you mean "Arminian" after Jacobus Arminius. "Armenian" is a person of Armenian descent.

I don't know many Baptists, especially those of the SBC, who don't support the concept of eternal security.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you meaning to say "arminian" or do you want to know what Armenian baptists believe?

7. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Well, most "Armenians" belong to the Christian Armenian Apostolic Church. The others would be Armenian Catholic Church and Armenian Evangelical Church.

Didn't read about any Armenians in any Baptist church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_people

;) sorry, couldn't resist it on this Monday morning before my vacation!

Arminian is what you were meaning obviously. Southern baptists would have both. Mark Dever is a Calvinistic Southern Baptist.

8. pilgrim_99

pilgrim_99 Member

I know an Armenian Baptist. He is a Calvinist.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I know in my SBC Church, we have some who hold very strongly to Eternal Security (to the point that they think all the kids who ever "made a decision" at age 5, but now have absolutely no interest in God or the church, are saved based on that so-called decision 20years ago).

We also have some who have no problem saying God Chose those who would be saved, but then turn around and say they believe one can lose their salvation if they totally reject God. (often based on experience of long-time "Christians").

I think this shows that most people (probalby myself included on some issues) do not have a perfectly consistent view on theological matters.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are a large number of baptists who might be called "1pt calvinists"...or "4pt Arminians". That is, they are fully on the free-will side of the debate, except they believe in once-saved always saved...because it is comforting to think that once you "get your salvation" you can't lose it.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an Armenian (ethnically), I appreciate this distinction! :thumbs:

This definitely seems to be the case. I live in the Memphis, TN area, and there are only three Free Will Baptist Churches within a 50 mile radius. This wouldn't seem so odd, but Free Will Baptist Bible College is not too far away (in Nashville, TN).

11. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry for all the confusion! :) I certainly was not trying to make any ethnic references! I meant Arminian and he and his followers argued against Eternal Security--I don't know what you guys meant who said the SBC? Again I appreciate the replies and am sorry for the confusion!

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't you know that you are not allowed to be on this board unless you are confused:smilewinkgrin:

13. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

I read through the replies again and when I get back home to my computer I have some questions to ask. God bless

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

SBC = Southern Baptist Convention

15. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

think that Arms would not even agree that one could lose salvation though, as even Jacobus 'would not commit" to that !

Would say that this involves much more HOW one views Sotierology proper...

Are people spiritual blind or not, need to have elective grace by God applied or not, and is it based on determintive Will of God or not?

So based upon the broader question...

Would see many SBC members feeling more comfortable with Arms sotierology, minus question of Eternal Security!

16. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, put me at the head of the class!!:smilewinkgrin:

17. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

OK, maybe I'm more confused than I thought--I thought Arminian theology was totally based on the denial of Eternal Security, so I certainly apologize if I misspoke.....The reason I was asking about the SBC is because I certainly didn't think any in that conference did not believe in eternal security--am I correct on that point?

18. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

When I say Arminian [sorry for the earlier misspelling :)] I mean those who don't believe in eternal security....as I said in an earlier post, I may very well have [all these years] misunderstood Arminianism. Having said that, the SBC doesn't have factions that question eternal security do they?

19. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, sorry :)

Ok, I hope that I understand Arminianism correctly--it is equated to those who don't believe in eternal security? I hope I haven't had it wrong all these years! God bless and thanks--I really didn't think any other Baptists have Arminian theology other than those small factions but I was curious.

20. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, I know I'm off topic, but this is an issue with me also. I once belonged to an Independent Baptist Church where we went out on Saturdays "soul winning" and we were taught to ask questions that only the worst reprobate would ever disagree with, and then we asked them to say a prayer and then the Pastor would tell them now you're saved and you have been forgiven of all your sins, past and present, and you can never lose it! :tonofbricks:
    We would leave that house and never see them again, go back to Church and say well we saved 25 souls today:BangHead:

I personally never did that when he left me to go alone, but I totally disagreed with that method! How would we ever know they were ever truly saved [born again]? The Bible says he that endures to the end shall be saved, which to me, means those that are truly saved will endure! Not be perfect, not even fall away, just not fall away finally. But if a person is truly saved, I have no doubts Scripture says it is eternally secure.

God bless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.