1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian Baptist Denominations?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Ben W, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not counting the Freewill Baptists whom we have already brought up in the Holiness Baptist thread, can anyone tell me of Baptist Denominations that are Arminian?

[ December 27, 2004, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: rsr ]

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    None that are distinctly Arminian, though you will find it not infrequently in the SBC and the Missionary (Landmark) Baptists.

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been remiss in not mentioning the General Association of General Baptist Churches, which holds to Arminian soteriology. The association has 719 churches with 67,362 members in the United States and 377 churches outside the U.S.

4. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Begging to differ from my esteemed colleague from Okie land, but the Separate Baptists are in practice throughouly Arminian in sentiment. THis hasn't always been the case, and there may be lingering elements of Calvinism in some of their documents, I haven't examined them to be sure, but I have attended their services from time to time.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stand corrected, Jeff, estimable or not. I had not considered the Separates a distinct denomination (ain't none of them near where I am.)

However, the Articles of Doctrine for the Separate Baptists in Christ state:

"We believe that Jesus Christ, by the Grace of God tasted death for every man, that none can partake of His Holy Divine benefits except by repentance toward God and Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; Infants and the innocent, due to lack of mental ability excepted, they being included in the convenant of God's Grace."

Unlimited atonement there, it seems.

The entire statement seems to lean toward a modified Calvinism, not an explicit Arminianism, but we know that statements don't always reflect reality.

6. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Stephen

There are some around these parts, my brother married a lady who grew up in one of their churches, they were married in a Separate Baptist Church, so have some experience with them.

They believe that it is possible to fall from grace, be restored, etc., which in these parts pretty well sets them apart from the rest, which tend to be some form of modified Calvinistic church.

7. R Kennedy

R Kennedy New Member

Hello to all,

I never have been one to go back in the studies of Calvinism, Arminianism, etc., and I am not the historian for our movement, so I'll let you all classify it based on what I do know.

We don't believe "once in grace, always in grace". We believe that one can fall from grace (back slide). Baptism and footwashing are not requirements, but are highly recommended (to put it in simple terms). We don't believe in predestination. Mankind still has freedom of choice. God has been noted for changing his mind.

I guess the most controversial article of faith that we currently have is the one concerning the millenial reign. We do not believe that there will be a literal 1,000 year reign. Some Separate Baptist churches/associations have fallen out of the general association over this artical of faith and still retain the name as Separate Baptist.

--
    Randy Kennedy
    Webmaster
    www.separatebaptist.org

8. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Dear Bro. Kennedy

Welcome to the neighborhood, such as it is. Some of the powers that be are going to eventually ask you to go to the introductory forum and introduce yourself, so might as well beat them to the punch.

My sister-in-law at one time belonged to Bethel Separate Baptist Church in the Christian Unity Association, my brother and she were married there. She and my brother now belong to a Southern Baptist congregation.

I have in years past visited your churches and have attended two sessions of your General Association.

Jeff Weaver

9. cobbk2001

cobbk2001 New Member