1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian, General, or Free Will Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Aug 31, 2001.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

There is a big difference between two people debating over how each other views things and in another case, one person pointing out to another what scripture says as its own interpreter. That is what I try to do. If you review my posts, you will find that when I offer my opinion, I qualify it as such and try to be less argumentative when dealing with opinion. I hope this explanation helps.

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I believe the truth is that God is beyond our understanding.

We know that we are to live by God's spiritual nature and reject our sinful nature.

My question is, why is it necessary to have a perfect understanding about how God runs things? Why is this such an important matter? Is this a matter that will affect our salvation? In other words, in response to your response to me, why?

3. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Tuor said,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But to what ends? As FF posted, is this a topic of salvation? Does the correct or incorrect understanding of this matter affect salvation? I don't think so. All this kind of pickering does is divide (a sign of the sinful nature). Why is it so important that we must agree about things that don't have any relevence when it comes to things that save? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because it has nothing to do with your salvation does not make it a minor issue. Baptism for instance does not regenerate a person but it is a major doctrine in that one is living in disobedience without it's sign. Going to Church on Sunday want save you but I think you would agree that neglecting worship is wrong.

While I don't question the salvation of my Free Will or Arminianian Brothers and sisters, there is a major differance in the way we present the Gospel in doing Evangelism. Read a sermon by Calvinist evangelists such as Whitefield, Edwards, Spurgeon and compare it to the Free will evangelists such as Wesley, Sunday, Graham and one will see the differances. Why is it that in our Free Will type Baptist churches that are prominent in the SBC, ABA, IFB etc.. that only 33 percent of all Baptists attent church? Why is it that most "converts" within a year abandon the Church? Could it be because of a deficient evangelism is being done in that we are simply baptizing Goats and not seeing true conversions?

4. Eladar

Eladar New Member

The examples you gave I would think are important because they deal with how we should live our lives. As for meeting on Sunday, we are to continue to meet together. It is not a must, but it is one of those things the Bible says we should do. The same goes for baptism. What I am talking about are things that have nothing to do with what we do.

As to people leaving the church, this is God's domain. The weeds are plentiful in our culture, it should be no surprise that many are choked out by them. Man does not save, God saves.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

Those who hold to Arminianism or a very modified Calvinism are the ones who have evangelized the world. Strict Calvinism sees no need to evangelize; the doctrine of double predestination renders evangelism moot.

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Tuor,

No, every believer does not have to, nor is expected to be a theologian. Remember, Jesus talked about "childlike faith," and that is why young children can and do come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. But for those who are "on fire" for the Lord, I believe the following verse applies:

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Tim 2:15 KJV)

7. Eladar

Eladar New Member

In the same way the Pharasees divided the word?

I believe 2 Timothy is talking about putting down herecy(ie Jesus' resurrection wasn't bodily only spiritual).

Yes we should put down herecies, such as errancy of the Bible and homosexuality is good as far as God is concerned. How about the one about Jesus being married and was actually the product of God having physical sex with Mary? All these things we should stand up against. I don't believe this scripture is talking about ripping each apart for taking one scripture to heart while someone else takes another.

We can hold our own views, do they need to be exactly the same? We are to have unity in Christ. Division for a reason other than a sinful lifestyle is unbiblical.

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

I agree completely. Two of the most devisive debates going on on this board are KJVonly and "theistic evolution." I take a defensive posture on both, defending what scripture says and teaches in the case of evolution, and what it doesn't say on the other (that there will be a perfect English translation). Those on the other side of the argument are the attackers, and for the most part, the more vile, vendictive, and sarcastic of the bunch.

As I have posted elsewhere, scripture admonishes us to avoid quarreling and arguing, but that does not nullify our duty to defend egregious attacks on biblical truths.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Kiffin,

Those who hold to Arminianism or a very modified Calvinism are the ones who have evangelized the world. Strict Calvinism sees no need to evangelize; the doctrine of double predestination renders evangelism moot.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a patently false statement on both counts.

1. Early missionaries and evangelists were extremely biblical in their theology and rejected arminianism (Carey, Whitefield, Spurgeon, Judson, etc.). It is only in the last 100 years or so that missionaries have become arminian.

2. Calvinism does not render evangelism unnecessary. God's sovereignty is what gives evangelism purpose and hope. When I share the gospel with someone and they reject it, I do not walk away wondering if maybe I said something wrong or thinking maybe if I had said something else they would have been saved. God's salvific plan uses the message of his children to save those who he elects.

Calvinism demands the communication of the word (Rom 10:14-17). In 1 Thess 1, right after Paul praises God for his election of the believers at Thessalonica he goes on to say that the election was related to that fact that gospel went out in word, power, etc. 2 Tim 2:10 Paul says that he endures all things for the sake of the elect so that they may be saved and receive eternal life. It seems that the persecution that he was undergoing was serving the purpose of furthering the word so that people might be saved. In other words, you have made a false statement. The election of God includes the means of preaching/communicating the Word.

The "doctrine" of double predestination is not held by most. I certainly do not hold it. I wonder if any on this board hold to double predestination.

10. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael said,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Those who hold to Arminianism or a very modified Calvinism are the ones who have evangelized the world. Strict Calvinism sees no need to evangelize; the doctrine of double predestination renders evangelism moot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was John Bunyan, George Whitefield, Jonathan Edwards, David Branerd, Fuller, Carey, Judson, Spurgeon Arminians? Where were the Arminian evangelists in the first Great Awakening? Why is it that the Particular Baptists supassed the General Baptists in numbers in the 1600's though the Generals were 30 years older? Answer. The Particular Baptists evangelized while the Free Willers didn't. After Thomas Helwys there really is no General Baptist of significance in making an impact though the Orthodox Baptist Creed 1678 by the General Baptist is a fascinating document that shows a moderate Arminianism leaning to Calvinism. They however were battling Unitarianism that eventually ruined most of English General Baptist work.

It was not General Baptists that grew in America but actually Calvinist Baptists were spurred on my the First Great Awakening and with their doctrinal foundation based on Calvinist documents such as the 1742 Philadelphia Confession and the 1833 New Hampshire. Calvinist Baptists built Baptist work in America. It was begginning in the late 1800's that Baptists begin to leave the foundation that actually built Baptist work by embracing Moderate Arminianism.

11. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Tuor said, "In the same way the Pharasees divided the word?"

I missed this on my first response. Actually your words are accurate. The word "rightly" is missing, and that made all the difference in the world! If you will look at the "red letters" in your Bible, Jesus had some very unkind things to say to the Pharisees in general. It is the only situation in which Jesus was not gentle. He called them: "snakes, brood of vipers, hypocrites, blind guides, blind fools. Why did Jesus "freak out" with the Pharisees? It was because they did not righly divide the truth AND did not rightly APPLY (LIVE) the truth! If it's that serious for Jesus, it ought to also be for Jesus' followers. ;)

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Pastor Larry,

Interesting that you should mention Whitefield but not John and Charles Wesley. The Calvinist Whitefield left no following; the Wesleys established the second largest denomination in Protestantism, and those influenced by Wesleyan Evangelical Arminianism--the Holiness churches, the Pentecostals, and Charismatics--continue to grow like wildfire around the world. Contrast that with the various Calvinist Reformed bodies, and you'll see that what I've said is not "patently false" but the truth. Hyper-Calvinism especially kills evangelism--look at what has happened to the Primitive Baptists.

13. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

May God increase the wave of Calvinist theology! Here is a quote from Charles Haddon Spurgeon:

"I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what is
    nowadays called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the Gospel, and nothing else."
    Spurgeon, Autobiography, 168

Michael,

You said that have read much on this issue and have studied at length, but to pull out the "Calvinists aren't for evangelism" ploy is a demonstration that you have not read widely on this issue, and that you are simply shooting from the hip buzz arguments that that you have heard in your friendly confines of Arminianism.

You have also endorsed the "glow of good" argument (in the face of overwhelming Scriptural evidence to the contrary) which basically says that lost man has prevenient grace--a little good in him. Others on this board have listed verse after verse that destroy any glow of good, and I have not seen you interact with these verses in attempts to explain them. Please give us your explanation of these verses.

Chick

14. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Furthermore, the term "Hyper-Calvinist" is a misnomer. Anyone that denies evangelism in the name of Calvinism is guilty of Pseudo-Calvinism. John Calvin himself was very concerned about his people and their moral condition. He trained and sent out scores of missionaries, etc.
    It is a false Calvinist that denies evangelism. Calvinism is most concerned about the evangelism of the world. Read John Piper's book Let the Nations be Glad and you will see this. The reason I go witnessing is BECAUSE God is sovereign--BECAUSE God has commanded me to go out and preach the gospel to His elect.

Chick

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

See also my post to Pastor Larry, above.

Further, one historical fact proves my point: the anti-mission Baptists in the South who split off from the Southern Baptist Convention and were later called Primitive Baptists held to a strict five-point hyper-Calvinist theology; this theology becomes the death knell to evangelism. The result: the SBC today has 16 million members; the Primitive Baptists struggle to hold onto and keep alive their mostly rural, small, isolated churches. They believe that the Gospel is to be preached only to believers, that God will regenerate whom He wills directly by the Holy Spirit without any need of Gospel proclamation.

This is the logical end result of consistent, strict Calvinism.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chick,

Prevenient grace/the Light of Christ: John 1:9; Titus 2:11.

Romans Chaper 2 is also interesting.

17. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Michael,

Don't call your scenerio Calvinism, call it Pseudo-Calvinism. All the Calvinists I know are evangelistically minded. What if I called a group of people who believed that they could be saved by their decision only, and that God wasn't even involved in their salvation "Hyper-Arminians"? Or calling it "Strict Arminianism" or "Arminianism going to it's logical conclusion" The true Calvinist is very concerned about God's Sovereignty, and thereby concerned about obeying God. And God has condescended to use unworthy vessels like us to preach the gospel so that His elect will respond. It is the humble privelege of the Calvinist to obey God, and do His bidding. This involves a lifetime of preaching the gospel.

Chick

18. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

The ball has been in your court for some time to reply to the verses Chris Temple and others have posted that destroy Prevenient Grace.

Please show how John 1:9 and Titus 2:11 prove Prevenient Grace

Chick

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Chick Daniels ]

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Interesting that you should mention Whitefield but not John and Charles Wesley.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure why that is interesting since I was talking about evangelists who held to the sovereignty of God. The Wesley's are not in that group so I did not mention them. The fact that the Wesley's left a large denomination (and a number of very good hymns) is a side-issue. Are you suggesting we measure truth by who has the largest following? Does that make the RCC the most truthful denomination?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>and those influenced by Wesleyan Evangelical Arminianism--the Holiness churches, the Pentecostals, and Charismatics--continue to grow like wildfire around the world. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Enough said. Any group that depends on the Holiness churhces, the pentecostals, and Charismatics for validation of its theology needs to reconsider itself.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hyper-Calvinism especially kills evangelism<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the post above on Hyper Calvinism as a misnomer. Those who are hyper calvinists are not biblical. The sovereignty and glory of God are at stake in this debate and you seem very close to denying both by making man the center of your theology. Piper's book Let the Nations Be Glad should immediately move to the top of your reading list. Follow it very closely with The Pleasures of God by Piper and you will begin to see the problems that are inherent in your theology.

Tonight in our Wednesday Bible Study I will teach on Rom 5:8 and the atonement for sin. There will likely be an unsaved lady here who has been here on a number of occasions and has been very interested. In fact, she cut my hair this morning and told me she would be here tonight. Don't try to tell me that Calvinists don't believe in preaching and witnessing to the lost.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chick,

I hope to have time later to reply in more detail--maybe this weekend.

Nothing anyone has posted destroys prevenient grace; prevenient grace is part of the character of God and thus is incapable of destruction. Prevenient grace/the Light of Christ is part of our constitution, being created by Christ in the divine image of God. The Fall did not destroy the image of God in us. E.Y. Mullins, renowned Souther Baptist professor and theologian agrees with this in his book *The Christian Religion In Its Doctrinal Expression*. I can provide quotes if you wish; I have this book--it is one of my favorites.

Titus 2:11 says the grace of God has appeared to ALL men; this can only be true if this grace is within, as well as around, all men. This is the true Light which enlightens every man (John 1:9). It's interesting that the Quakers got their doctrine of the "Inward Light of Christ" from the General Baptists.

BTW, concerning how you define Calvinism: If this definition is true for you, I won't quarrel with that, and I don't doubt what you say about your zeal for evangelism.