1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian, General, or Free Will Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Chick,
    Well, I wanted and tried to be conciliatory--oh, well.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Michael,

I am more than willing to be conciliatory, but I will not bend on the truth of the gospel, nor on the facts of history. You have repeatedly chosen to not respond to my questions. You have repeatedly made Calvin out to be a murderer, which he is not. Calvin was by no means perfect, and I would certainly not agree with everything he stood for, but I cannot think of anyone with whom I would completely agree with from the 1500s. I have stated before that you are not being fair with Calvin the person, and that you have not answered the many verses that support Calvinist (Biblical) soteriology. Of course you grind your teeth when you see me refer to Calvinist Soteriology as Biblical Soteriology, but then why don't you kindly reply to the many verses presented repeatedly on this board. I recall my doctrine teacher from College saying once that he read a verse which teaches Divine election, only to have an Arminian student object with several minutes of ranting and raving. After the student finally became quiet, my teacher politely remarked, "do you realize that all I did was read a verse?"

Please also understand, Michael, that I do not have an attitude that I must be right on everything. I have no dillusions regarding my fallibility, but the Scriptures are not fallible. You must interact with THEM, not me, in your attempt to approach God without total depravity, unconditional election, irrisistible grace, and perseverance of the Saints.

Best wishes with a conciliatory tone,

Chick [​IMG]

2. Eladar

Eladar New Member

total depravity- Man's attempt to describe what the Bible says

unconditional election- True, but understood with man's implecations.

irrisistible grace- see total depravity

perseverance of the Saints- See unconditional election.

You forgot the 'l', I'm not sure what it stands for, but it should stand for Love.

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chick,

For now: I have repeatedly answered your questions; you just don't like and will not accept the answers.

Calvin WAS a murderer; he and the secular authorities in Geneva were in an unholy church-state alliance, and together they murdered Servetus.

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:

Calvin WAS a murderer; he and the secular authorities in Geneva were in an unholy church-state alliance, and together they murdered Servetus.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rarely have I heard such an assurance based upon such ignorance. By your consistent strawmen, ad hominems and non sequiters, you have rendered yourself useless as to any meaningful discussion, be it here or the other threads.

5. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Chick,
    For now: I have repeatedly answered your questions; you just don't like and will not accept the answers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless the moderator of this board has deleted dozens of your posts, I would like to know where your responses are. Not simply "Calvin WAS a murderer", but rather an interaction with historical documents, and with Scripture, resulting in credible evidence that contributes to an overall plausible argument that I and my Calvinist brethren are all wet. Remember, you have proposed that Calvin was a murderer, therefore the burden is on you to prove this, not on me to prove that he was not a murderer.

And I am compelled to accept all answers that you give that are affirmed in Scripture. I do not have a choice to approach the Bible picking and choosing what is true. I can (and will-yea must) reject your answers when they violate the clear teaching of Scripture.

Chick

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Chick Daniels ]

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chris,

I would have been disappointed by anything other than a bigoted, dishonest, and insulting response from you--you did not disappoint. Meaningful discussion can only be had with someone who exhibits a character which is totally opposite from yours.

BTW, I noticed that you didn't respond when I caught you in your literalist trap on the topic of contradictions in scripture. I was rather hoping to see you try to squirm your way out. I enjoy that favorite dance of yours--the "twist".

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

My dear Chick,

You asked for a quote about Calvin; I gave you that. Further, it is historical fact that not only Calvin but Luther and Zwingli--all the Magisterial Reformers--were theologians in alliance with the state; Magisterial Reformation theology was a state-church theology just as Roman Catholicism was. All of them were murderers and persecutors in conjunction with the state. This is historical fact that cannot be disputed. It is shocking to hear a supposed Baptist argue otherwise.

Maybe you and Temple need to go back and read church history again.

8. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

I checked your quote Michael, and I see no evidence from it that Calvin was a murderer. Had Calvin personally hunted down Servetus, run him through with a sword without a trial, then you could have an accusation of murder. In fact, Servetus, a heretic, and a known enemy of Calvin, showed up one day in Calvin's church! He was dragged to the city council where he was formally charged and issued a sentence of the death penalty. Calvin himself was no doubt happy to be rid of Servetus, but he was not on the council. In fact, he mercifully plead with the council to only behead him, but he was not able to pursuade the jury--as they were committed to burn Servetus. Had Calvin stuck his neck out to try to save someone who was a person enemy (He had betrayed Calvin earlier by publishing personal letters from Calvin without his consent), a theological heritic, and someone that the enraged citizens were demanding to be killed, he would not only have lost his ministry in Geneva, he may have been persecuted himself--because in those times, to have stood to defend someone like Servetus in the context of those days, and in the context Calvin was in, would have been the same as to agree theologically with Servetus.

Again, I have stated repeatedly, that I was not in favor of the decision made by the city council, and regret that the council and Calvin himself did not have the foresight of those pushing for the separation of church and state. But when the dust settles, Calvin may have been involved in bring Servetus to his death, but it is hardly murder. In the old west, they would say, "It was a legal, proper hangin'"
    It should not have been done, but it was legal, and there was little Calvin could have done short of agreement with Severtus.

Chick

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Chick Daniels ]

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chick,

He begged the council to only behead him!! [flippant reference to God edited] Bless his little Christ-filled heart!!

The Romans "legally murdered" the early Christians, too. Calvin was in the line of a long tradion.

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

10. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

11. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

I wonder how you can "yawn" at legalized murder in the name of Christ.

Bob,

I wasn't aware that you could know the intent of my heart. Does God grant board administrators omniscience?

I flatly deny that my statement was a flippant reference to God--intended or otherwise.

12. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael,

Actually I was yawning at your tired old argument. No one on this board believes Calvin was right and actually what Calvin did to Servetus is irrelevant to the argument. Calvin believed in infant baptism and the state church and I disagree with him strongly on those issues also. Calvinism doesn't rise or fall with Calvin. Augustine, Peter Waldo, Waldenses all taught this Biblical doctrine well before Calvin.

Using your logic I can discredit your Armininianism because Arminius believed in infant baptism, John Wesley died a Anglican minister and thus also was a member of a state church that persecuted people, Arminian churches in the early 20th century tithed to the KKK in the south to support lynchings of blacks. We can go on and on.

I gave credit to the early Anabaptists and General Baptists on a earlier post for their contribution to the Baptist faith though I disagree with their Arminian theology. The Baptist faith as we know it however in more ways than CALVINISM was shaped and molded by the Particular Baptists since the Arminian Baptists contribution was only minor after 1644. You demonized those who built Baptist work in America and your knowledge of Calvinism seems to built on propaganda type material that is found in ABA and SWORD OF THE LORD pamplets .

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Kiffin ]

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

HELLO FOLKS (and specifically Michael since he is the chief offender here)!!!!!!!!!

I do not mean to be pedantic or to unnecessarily repeat myself. But why in the world are we talking about Calvin the man? "Calvinism" is simply the nickname that reflects what many us believe the Bible teaches about salvation. To continually pursue Calvin the man is a red herring. It has no bearing on the issues at hand. If you want to discuss the theology of salvation, then let's do that. If you want to discuss church history then move it to the church history forum.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Kiffin,

And I also condemn Wesley's state-churchism. I despise ALL state-churchism, whether it be Calvinist, Arminian, Zwinglian, Romanist, Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, or whatever.

Larry,

I keep focusing on Calvin the man because people keep making the ludicrous argument that Calvin was not responsible for what happened to Servetus.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Larry,

I keep focusing on Calvin the man because people keep making the ludicrous argument that Calvin was not responsible for what happened to Servetus.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah ... but who cares??? This is a thread about soteriology, not church history. So what if Calvin was responsible?? Does that invalidate the biblical teaching on salvation? Of course not. That is why you are beating a dead horse. It just doesn't matter.

16. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kiffin:
    Using your logic I can discredit your Armininianism because Arminius believed in infant baptism, John Wesley died a Anglican minister and thus also was a member of a state church that persecuted people, Arminian churches in the early 20th century tithed to the KKK in the south to support lynchings of blacks. We can go on and on.

I gave credit to the early Anabaptists and General Baptists on a earlier post for their contribution to the Baptist faith though I disagree with their Arminian theology. The Baptist faith as we know it however in more ways than CALVINISM was shaped and molded by the Particular Baptists since the Arminian Baptists contribution was only minor after 1644. You demonized those who built Baptist work in America and your knowledge of Calvinism seems to built on propaganda type material that is found in ABA and SWORD OF THE LORD pamplets .

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: Kiffin ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen Kiffin!

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Larry,

That's a pathetic statement. It mattered to Servetus; too bad it doesn't matter to you.

Kiffin and, incidentally, Chris,

I have first-hand knowledge of Calvinism, having been raised in it; I have also thoroughly studied it, including all its major works. And I can truthfully say that I've never read any Sword of the Lord pamphlets; further, if the ABA you mentioned is the American Baptist Association, or Landmarkers, I am as opposed to them as I am to any Calvinist group.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And while I'm at it, I must point out again the tendency of Calvinists to accuse non-Calvinists of ignorance and not understanding Calvinism. Well, I maintain just the opposit; I think if somone truly understands Calvinism, they will not be Calvinist. That's what happened to Arminius who started out as a Calvinist sent to defend Calvinism; he completely changed his mind and abandoned it when he came to truly see the issues involved.

BTW, since Arminianism affirms total depravity, it would not be correct to say that I'm an Arminian since I don't believe in total depravity; I'm simply a non-Calvinist. Actually, I have an affinity for the open theism view as held by Baptist theologian and professor Clark Pinnock.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Michael, Once again you are not understanding the issue. When we talk about "Calvinism" we are talking about truth that predated Calvin by ... oh thousands of years ... all the way to the garden of Eden and find their statement most clear in the NT&gt; The fact that Calvin may have murdered someone has no bearing on the NT teaching on soteriology. It appears that since you cannot argue with the theology concerning soteriology you have stooped to arguing whether Calvin was a murderer. And my question is so what? I do not defend what he did (if he did it). I do not know and I do not care because it is non issue for those who care what the Bible teaches on soteriology.

As for arminianism, they define total depravity differently. If you deny total depravity, then please explain why. And I would be very careful following Pinnock. On the basis of what he has written, it appears that he has apostatized, denying some very basic clearly revealed truth.

20. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

In fact, from what I have been told, Pinnock has gone so far as to deny that God can even know the future, much less be sovereign in the realm of future events. Pinnock epitomizes Arminianism going to its logical end.
    I agree with those on this thread who say that the accusation of Calvin being a murderer is a non-issue relative to the Soteriology. I do apologize to all of you for contributing to above extended discussion of the murder question. I simply could not resist defending Calvin a little here, because I believe that Michael is not allowing Calvin to live in his context.
    Yes, Calvin was involved in the events that led to Servetus' death, but "murder" is a term loaded with meaning that does not apply directly to Calvin's activity.
    I truly wish that Calvin had not supported the union of church and state, and I wish that he had not defended infant Baptism. But I have never said that Calvin was perfect. Neither was David or Moses--and they killed men in cold blood.