1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian, General, or Free Will Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Michael,

You would do better to stick with Arminius and Wesley than a apostate like Pinnock. At least they believed God knew the future. Open Theism is a departure from mainstream Christianity be it Calvinism or Armininanism.

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Larry,

I keep talking about Calvin the man because people keep defending him.

I assure you I can "argue" soteriology if you wish. I thought I had made it clear that I didn't agree with any Calvinist doctrine; I am strongly opposed to the Penal Substitution theory of the atonement.

I also thought I had explained why I don't believe total depravity. One of the basic reasons is because of John 1:9 and my belief in the Light of Christ being given to everyone from the beginning of life.

Please describe how Pinnock has "apostacized".

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

My, aren't we being free with the word "apostate" here; it's being thrown around as if you all knew a person's heart.

Open Theism doesn't believe that God doesn't know the future, just that he does not know beforehand the results of our free choices. This is intriguing for several reasons, one being that it would explain why God tests us. If, in the traditional view, God knows beforehand the results of that testing, what's the point of the test?

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Wrenn:
    Open Theism doesn't believe that God doesn't know the future, just that he does not know beforehand the results of our free choices. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow - That must be a quote out of Bill Clinton's Systematic Theology. "It depends on what one means by is" :D

Nine pages and counting, and waiting for one biblical refutation of Calvinism ...

Michael you must be the Arminian Energizer Bunny: You just keep going, and going and going ... :eek:

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Chris,

Don't you remember anything I've posted? For instance, I cited Hebrews 6, among other verses.

Still, if I can get to it this weekend, I'll post more. And if you respond, please try to do so without insulting my intelligence or saying I am ignorant.

I don't mind honest, even passionate, disagreement; in fact, I find it quite stimulating.

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Wow! I can't believe how this thread has taken off or the direction it has taken! I started it simply with the purpose of finding out if there were any non-Calvinist Baptists here, and I began it in a congenial tone; too bad it hasn't stayed that way.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael et al - I think this thread has gotten too cumbersome to be effective. Why not start a new thread on a single area of debate - like the divisive issue of open foreknowledge that has just about divided the Baptist General Conference (Swedish Baptists) in half!

Half go with Piper and the calvinistic view. Half with Bethel Seminary and the "new" view.

I am locking down this topic and seriously hope 3-4 new topics will start tomorrow from its discussion!