1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arminian vs. Calvinist handling of scripture

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by npetreley, Feb 2, 2003.

1. 4study

4study New Member

npetreley,

It seems you're suggesting (and I agree) that scritpure's posted here as "proof" or "support" of a particular proposition can be brought under scrutiny from both sides. It seems you've just agreed that what you have done (posting scripture to support your position) is meaningless. If Romanbear does the same won't you make the same claim of his position that he has made of your's? What is your goal? I thought it was to discuss scripture.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you haven't been able to figure out the difference yet, it's no use repeating my explanation yet another time. Obviously, what I've described is an extremely difficult concept for you to grasp.

3. 4study

4study New Member

npetreley,

I think you're misunderstanding me. Nevertheless, this last post tells me you're not interested in dicussing scripture. Are you only intersted in debating?

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

Npetreley

Just to let you know - a few verses have already surfaced where I wasnt familiar with them before
    I will have verses and explanations - Since you seem to object to God speaking to me through other people - it will be just me and my Bible - waiting on the Spirit

Our answer is coming - be patient - regretfully life concerns like survival - are interfering

5. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Npetreley;
    The problem here is that you see things from another mans view.Namely John Calvin.
    This is my view;
    Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
    You might notice that this verse is in the very center of Gods word
    Your probably convinced that I'm an Arminian because I oppose your beliefs, but I am not.
    I go by God's word not by mans view.I can't trust my Salvation to a man.I put it in God's hands won't you do the same?.
    Romanbear

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

He must have put them there via mind control, then, since the only Calvin texts I've read were those posted here. And they are usually chosen and posted by the Arminians.

You already do if you believe it pivots on your free will decision.

7. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Npetreley;
    If you haven't read the institutes of Christianity by John Calvin then you must be taking everyone else's word for it then.
    Romanbear

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by that. When I defend Calvinism, yes, I am taking others word for what it represents. When I state my views, most of which appear to be in line with Calvinism based on what I read from others, I am stating what I learned from scripture.

As I stated elsewhere in some thread, this is how I came to understand the issues: I once believed in and defended free will. At one time I thought I might try my hand at writing apologetics, and started with a piece based on free will. I could never finish it because my reasoning kept leading to logical conclusions that were contradicted by scripture. The more I studied, the more I came to the conclusion that free will is an illusion. Then I read Martin Luther's Bondage of the Will. While I didn't agree with every single point or approach Luther took, it pretty much echoed every single conclusion I had come to from scripture and added even more weight to the conclusion that free will (as it pertains to salvation) does not exist.

I would like to read Calvin sometime. But I get the impression from others that R.C. Sproul is correct when he says that Calvin is really little more than a footnote to Luther. And the Bible trumps them all. So I'm not in any hurry.