1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Army Christians

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by acts17_11, Oct 12, 2004.

1. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

Q: Can a Christian serve in the armed forces and still be a Christian?

I know the answer, but what say ye?

I was told this some time back. And since I was redeemed by my Lord in an army barrecks, witnessed to by a army soldier, attended church with a Pastor who was prior Air force (Sembach Bible Church, W. Germany), and was discipled by an Air Force Col. You can imagine my response.

I can't help but to think about that Roman soldier who asked for healing of a servant. Jesus marvelled at his faith and publicly spoke of it. Don't remember Jesus telling him to leave the military.

By His Grace,
    Michael
    http://www.friendship-piqua.org

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When that group of soldiers approached John the Baptist wanting to be saved----he didn't tell them they had to quit "solderin'" did he??

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Is there any thing that disqualifies you from being a Christian?

4. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

What better place for Christians than in the army (or any other branch of military). These men and women go into harms way and the last person they may see if they go into battle may be the soldier next to them that just led them to the Lord.

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Yes. As has been said it is a great place for a Christian to reach many lost with the Gospel. We now have three young men and a woman in Iraq and they are being used by the Lord to touch the lives of their comrades who have serious questions about life and eternity. Praise God for the believing military.

Bro Tony

6. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Not acting like one would do it. Actually no it wouldn't because after you are saved you are saved for life dispite life's circumstances.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michael,
    I rejoice that you were blessed at Sembach Baptist Church. I did visit there back in the '70 once, but since I lived in Zwiebruecken, I attended ZBC.
    Of course, we can serve in the Army, and serve the Lord at the same time. I had many blessings in the several churches I served in during my years in the Army.

Salty

8. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Most definitely yes. I was the pastor of an inner-city church in a large port city for six years, and very many Christians from the armed forces of many countries fellowshipped with us. These fine men and women also paid most of our bills and labored beside us for our Savior and His kingdom.

[​IMG]

9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Sadly, I was not a Christian witness when I served in the Army. I was saved at 17, but strayed from the path after enlisting. I remember those that tried to witness to the lost soldiers, and also remember they were made fun of. Not once did I take a stand, and it still haunts me to this day. Sure, I know that I have been forgiven for what I did in those days, but when I think of those times, it brings me to tears. I commend a person that can maintain a Christian witness in the military, and have a boldness to witness to their fellow soldiers. It is not an environment that is conducive to righteous living. Those that do are more bigger than I ever was, or ever will be.

10. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

11. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Thanks, Michael. I do take comfort in my salvation, and know that I have been forgiven, yet is anyone able to completely forget about their past? I know that some say they have, and I know the promises of God, but I do find it difficult at times. Thanks, again and God bless.

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

If you have repented to God and changed your direction back to the "straight and narrow," you have been forgiven. All Christians sin. The important thing is for them to recognize it, repent and continue their Christian walk.