1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arpaio's Latest: What think ye?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gina B, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for him.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The trick here is.......

Don't go to jail!

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

You mean don't end up in a re education camp don't you? This is the kind of thing fascists and communists do.

#5 poncho, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

PS: Speaking of violating the flag - saw someone wearing spandex type leggings and the whole things were a flag design. But the shirt didn't cover the rear end, which was large enough to accomodate all the stars, which unfortunately weren't designed to all FIT there, but they sure tried, which turned into one big spangled mess that had a lot of people making some priceless, confused looking faces as they did triple takes on that outfit.

Sorry, hijacking my own thread, but felt it was important in case anyone sees those leggings and wants to buy them. Don't. Please don't. Flags don't belong on your derriere.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH...and if you just gotta go to jail, while you are in there, obey all the rules regardless of what they are. But then no one ever said those who go to jail are loaded with common sense.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Does that include all the prophets that went to jail or were considered "outlaws"?

#8 poncho, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  9. thisnumbersdisconnected

Bread and water is perfectly filling and healthy. It is not "cruel and unusual" punishment. Not feeding them or giving them water, that would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Rev's right, if you're gonna be stupid enough to get yourself arrested without the money to cover the bond, then try to be smart enough not to get yourself in trouble while you're there. Things go a lot easier when you decide to obey the rules.

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

If they don't like America then they shouldn't have committed crimes here. Their lucky they aren't in a Turkish jail like in Midnight Express.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They seek every right from a place to worship to sex changes under the laws of the flag - yet don't like the flag - figures - probably relates to their location.

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Hope none of you ever end up in jail.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prison needs to be FEARED!

It is too much like a country club, and everyone has rights. The truth is, a lot of career criminals want to be incarcerated, and why not? Free medical care, dental care, color television, weight rooms, good food, clothes, bed, heat, running water, etc. You name it and they have it! It is no longer punishment to go to jail!

Oh sure, they lose contact with their families, and some freedoms, but it is no longer punishment that people fear! Prison should be so repulsive that no one wants to be booked into a stay at the grey bar hotel!

Arpaio may not have it all right, but in my eyes and way of thinking, he's spot on! Make it so intolerable that they never want to go to his jail, AGAIN! And isn't that what's happening. Most of the cons go to another county or state. They want nothing to do with Arpaios kind of incarceration!

If they don't like what he does with the American flag and the pledge being recited, than that is one more incentive to stay out of trouble!

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If for some reason I do I will be sure to leave the American Flag alone.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That should be a firing squad offence.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I cannot seem to find any information on the inmates and who they were, apart from that they were all male and that it seems to have involved different prisons/jails. Didn't say if all were citizens or not.

I HEARD some had not yet gone to trial, so were being held until trial and did not have the money to bond out until trial, so it's possible some were innocent.

Part of the criminal justice classes includes having students watch a whole lot of documentaries on prisons, (which means I get to see each one six times in one day, lol) and there's no way that you're going to put something in a cell and have it not be put to some type of use, so I'm wondering how they were "defaced." When he says they were stepped on and put in toilets and such, it sounds like they were simply rioting and doing it for fun. I'm thinking it's more likely that they were being used as mats, to clean the cells, to write notes on, etc.. What were they made out of?

I see people outside of prison doing all kinds of stuff with flag symbols. Welcome mats, clothing, headbands, many things carry this design. I personally find it a bit insulting and over the top, but remind myself that it's just a symbol, not some holy object.

What was his point in putting them there? You can't tell me he had no clue that giving people with no stuff would lead to them using something he put inside their cells. I smell a set-up. Why would he do that?

What good does this actually serve? Say they all really are guilty for the reasons they are there. Say these are criminals, some are addicts, a few are mentally ill. What would make an intelligent person want to bait them into more criminal charges? It took thought and money to put the flags up. He didn't just suddenly say "Let's put flags up in prison cells that they can't touch or use, just for looks, and nothing will come of it. This will make them love this country more." No, I don't think that happened.

Do you think that happened?

19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I think Joe likes to stay in the news.

Firing squad for "allegedly" dishonoring the flag? Wow! Should the same punishment apply to all the politicians in both parties that dishonor the flag and their office by lying to the people and violating their oath?

Or should they get a pass because they pretend to honor the flag and love their country?

#19 poncho, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  20. Archie the Preacher

Seems reasonable to me

Sheriff Arpaio is in charge of operating a jail - not a prison. Jails hold people awaiting trial and those convicted of crimes and sentenced to less than one year in confinement. (Unless it's all changed since I learned all this.)

Here's the main issue: Jails have to have some form of discipline. As the U. S. (and most states') Constitution forbids 'cruel and unusual' punishment, this - bread and water - seems to be a useful technique. It is 'traditional' in penal institutions and reasonably unpleasant without being permanently damaging.

Why were the flags there in the first place? I suppose to ensure Sheriff Arpaio could be blamed for the bad conduct and misdeeds of others?

Just for the tally book, I make a serious attempt to conduct myself in such a manner as to NOT spend time in either a jail or a prison. Except to visit someone from time to time.