1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Article on Homosexual minister UMC

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by untangled, Dec 7, 2004.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a disturbing article. I'm ashamed that I went to a methodist church as a child. It shows you where the denomination is going. She almost got to keep her ordination. Seven to six. Does anyone think any of the Baptist groups will get this bad?

UMC Minister Credentials Revoked, denomination is divided

PS.... Look real closely and see what is not mentioned.. :mad:

2. DragonLord Ps.91:13 kjv

[non baptist posting deleted]

[ December 09, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

3. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you notice in the article what was not mentioned during the hearing? That's one of the more disturbing parts for the people that voted either way.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!

What was NOT mentioned was the FACT that TO GOD, HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN ABOMINATION, and not just a sin.

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen..

They also didn't mention the Bible in their hearing. They use the "Book of Discipline".

The article was linked on the frontpage of the website under the "Open Hearts, OPen doors and Open minds" logo. The author sounded angry that the woman's ordination status was yanked. What's scary to me is that it was only seven of thirteen that voted against it.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I also noted the words "self-avowed" already show a major problem with the church directives. The first major hurdle for the opposition has already been crossed.

Much like the military, don't tell--its okay.

We had an SBC church (not in our town) have a problem where the pastors wife started having a lesbian affair with a deacons wife. They left the two husbands and were demanding that the church allow them to stay as members. Can you imagine being the pastor with your wife trying to hang around the church with your deacon's wife? I felt quite sorry for him. I don't know what the final resolution was, but I think the lesbians were finally dis-fellowshipped. This was a fairly big church too.

It pretty much ruined the pastor's ministry although he was an innocent party.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

This almost sounds like a joke, but it really happened at our local biggest Methodist church.

One night during discussions a disagreement took place between two groups and they decided to go to the Bible to see what it said.

The punch line. After two hours of searching, not ONE single Bible could be found to settle the argument in the entire church building. NO JOKE! REALLY HAPPENED. :eek: :eek: [​IMG]

...and get this Robycop3, they couldn't find a KJV, let alone an NIV. [​IMG]

8. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow Phillip. That does sound like a joke. :eek: [​IMG]

Its sad about the pastor's ministry being ruined.

The UMC is turning into something similar to the universalist Church. "Do what thou wilt" seems to have become the doctrine. Not to say that some baptists don't live like they can do what thou wilt.

There's alot of people leaving the UMC because of their liberalism. Denominations like the FMC and the SEMC are popping up.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Denominations like the FMC and the SEMC are popping up."

I assume the first is the Free Methodist Church. Is the second the Evangelical Methodist Church?

10. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I think it is entirely sick to have a homosexual to be any part of a church, but what should be done about them but within biblical standards.

11. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    RSR,

You are right: Free Methodist Church. THe second is the Southern Evangelical Methodist Church.

In CHrist,

Brooks

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where I pastored in Wisconsin there was a small Free Methodist congregation. Children came to our Christian school, so we got to know some families.

The UMC pastor was a woman. She lived in the manse with her "girlfriend". Instead of a glass of water on the pulpit, she had a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Know this for a fact. My wife led both of her daughters to the Lord; that's another story.

The Free Methodists were looked upon by the regular UMC like we would view Appalachian snake handlers. They said they didn't care; they were going to stand for truth.

Wonder who is smiling now. Standing for truth is always right!

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Am I mistaken about Methodist history, but wasn't the Methodist church very conservative and legalistic and one time?

It seems that when I was young a Methodist church in the 60's in the country was stricter than some of the Baptist churches in the area?

Was this an isolated incident or have the Methodists really changed so much?

14. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I know the thread related to Methodists, but in the same pattern, our local Episcopal churches pastor (priest--whatever) came out of the closet and admitted he was a homosexual.

Well, we live in a quite conservative part of the heartland. A good portion of the congretation defected (mostly the the RCC across the street).

Anyway, the punch line of this story is that the national Episcopal organization made an agreement to financially support the church until it could build its congregation back up with people who were more tolerant of gay pastors.

By the way, Dr. Bob, talking about beer. As a young boy, a group of us from the Baptist church went to the local RCC for midnight mass just out of curiousity on Christmas when I was a kid.

By the end of the service the priest was so drunk from sipping the wine that he could not talk without slurring.

Needless to say, as kids, we got a kick out of it and none of us ever went Catholic.

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip said:

"It seems that when I was young a Methodist church in the 60's in the country was stricter than some of the Baptist churches in the area?

Was this an isolated incident or have the Methodists really changed so much?"

Part of it is geography. The old Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was more conservative than the Methodist Episcopal Church, the northern group with which it merged in 1939 (along with the Methodist Protestant Church.) After formation of The Methodist Church in 1939, the southern churches came more closely to accept the same practices.

I won't admit that I can remember the '60s, but we in our rural community considered the Methodists a bit liberal, but that was compared to the Assemblies of God and the Southern Baptists. They weren't Episcopalian, that's for sure.

You are certainly correct that the Methodists once were very conservative (or legalistic, depending upon your point of view.) Just read a couple of John Wesley's sermons. That tradition still lives in some other Wesleyan denominations, such as the Church of the Nazarene and charismatic groups that can trace their theology to Wesley.

16. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

As christian baptists what should we do to show our strict disaproval of gays while in the pressence of one. I personally would like to send them all to a prison island to keep em all in one place but i would like to know what Jesus would have done to show his disaproval?

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there's a poser. Jesus dealt very little with sexual sins (the woman at the well and the woman taken in adultery come to mind, along with a few comments about divorce) and sins of the flesh in general. He saved his harshest condemnation for sins of the spirit: pride, hypocrisy and self righteousness.

18. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

First of all get educated about the cost of discipleship for gays. It is very high, and it involves a lot of "deprogramming." We NEED to understand that homosexual sin isn't like all other sexual sins. There is a whole community that for gays is like a "church" is for us. Reaching out to gays is more like ministering to Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Muslims, e.g. persons in cults or other religions, so much so that a whole branch of missiology (the study of Christian missions) is beginning to develop to help Christians deal with this issue.

Here is an EXCELLENT article for you:

http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/reaching%20gays.htm

Also, get familar with progay theology and its problems, just like you would have some idea about what a Mormon, JW, et.al. would believe:
    http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/unbelief.htm Progay Theology and Unbelief

Of course, we need to maintain our own Biblical perspective:

http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/maintain.htm Maintaining a Biblical Perspective

And we should always balance truth with mercy. Remember, salvation is not about justice. It is about mercy, and mercy is not something any of us deserve.

http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/balancetruth.htm

Finally, evaluate our own attitudes as Christians, because sometimes, when it comes to this issue, we have repenting to do as well. :

http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/caughtin.htm Guidelines for Christians Caught in the Middle

http://www.harvestusa.org/articles/compassion_so_hard.htm Compassion is so Hard.

19. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey people,

In my original post I wanted to know what you thought of this and if any of the Baptist groups have been moving dangerously close to the same. Any developments or stories I don't know about?

In Christ,

Brooks

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see her daughters were saved, Dr. Bob.

BTW, was this woman once married to, or living with, a MAN, or were her daughters adopted, or were they her girlfriend's kids?

Far as I'm concerned, "switch-hitting" is for BASEBALL, and when practiced in relationships, is as much a sin as exclusive homosexuality.