1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured As a Believer, is Gun Control the Right thing to Do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jun 19, 2015.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the growing number of murders and violence involving guns, would it be prudent to support gun control in order to bring an end to senseless violence and loss of lives?

More importantly, if the church, not the brick and mortar building, but the body of born-again believers often referred to as the true church were to support a movement to end the ownership of guns, would you support it to save the lives of the innocent victims around our country?

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I own several guns. The news would call it an arsenal. I also own sufficient quantities of ammo for each of them. These guns have killed deer, turkey, rabbits and an occasional squirrel. Interestingly, they have never killed anything by themselves. They spend their day in a locked cabinet. They have never gotten out by themselves. They have never loaded themselves nor fired without me being involved.

The point is it is not guns that are killing people. It is people killing people by using guns. The are numerous laws about the ownership of guns. New York's SAFE Act is one of the most restrictive. Criminals do not pay attention to gun control laws. They are criminals.

The problem with the law(s) is they do not address evil intent. That cannot be legislated. We don't have a gun problem. We have a heart problem.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guns in and of themselves are not an issue I feel that my church needs to waste effort on. The issue of gun control is pretty far down on my list of political priorities in general. I don't think every type of firearm under the sun should be allowed to be sold willy nilly but I don't really care if people own guns. There is probably certain gun control I wouldn't mind but I'm definitely not some gun teetotaler.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, gun control is the right thing. We ought to control our guns so that we hit what we aim at.

I'm like Padre, I own an arsenal. It is my right as an American given to me by the constitution. If I asked how many people in my church on Sunday were carrying, it would be a majority of our people.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said. Sums up my take on the issue.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would taking/keeping guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens control the number of murders and senseless violence?
    How would taking guns away from law abiding citizens save the lives of innocent people?

Look at the case in New Jersey where a woman was murdered by her ex while awaiting for a gun permit. The protection order did not stop the murder.

In this case, and in many others, it is the gun control law that is responsible for her death. Had she been able to defend herself, the murderous ex would be dead and she would still be alive.

I think it is too early to make it a political issue, but the killings at the Charleston AME church Wednesday happened in a "gun free zone."

Every school shooting in the US has been in a "gun free zone."

So far no gun control law takes guns out of the hands of criminals. Criminals don't obey laws. That is why they are criminals.

Jesus told us in Luke 22:36, "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

If gun control laws work why not make laws against heroin, cocaine, and crystal meth? That will take the drugs off the streets, right?

Oh, wait, . . .

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Godless left advocates for gun control, where only the government and criminals have guns. And using the theory of never wasting a crisis, they claim the likelihood of the murder of the black believers would have been less if guns were far less available.

OTOH, the Bible teaches it is better to be free than slave. Thus every Christian who votes for Democrats is making a statement against interest.

Note that the nut-jobs who think they are justified to kill others use explosives, poison gas, fire, and machetes as well as guns.

And recently two fellows who had planned to kill lots of folks were met by an armed traffic cop, and the killers were killed before they killed anybody.

It may be Christians would be wise, to protect themselves from ISIS, to advocate for the legalization of concealed carry. Food for thought among those responsible for the security of the believers attending their events.

8. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think TCassidy has explained the issue well. For a parallel, I have a strong personal conviction against drinking, due mainly to loved ones' battles with alcoholism, and believe that if recreational use of alcohol were to totally disappear (impossible, of course) the world would be a better place. However, the Volstead Act demonstrated, among other things, that a law that (technically) turns a significant minority of otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals is not going to be a good thing, no matter how high the motives are. A ban on gun ownership would be similar, but even worse IMO. It's probable that a small segment of criminals would stop using firearms, but the remainder would be emboldened by the much lower chances of encountering an armed citizen. (And that's just one among many reasons I think a firearms ban would not have the desired effect while producing many undesirable consequences.)

9. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it worked for Hitler. Oh, wait...

No and anybody who would is a tyranny loving scum bag.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just got a call from our local gun shop and my order of Marcus Luttrell signature ammo just came in.

#9 JohnDeereFan, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"Jesus Christ" or so a man claiming to be him visited our church service a few weeks ago. As soon as I determined this guy was nuts I asked a retired and armed police officer to stick like glue to the man. Yes, we tried to talk to this man. We tried to minister to him. But, that not negate the fact that he displayed some type of mental problem and needed to be watched. I am glad we are allowed to arm ourselves to protect against mentally ill people who have no self control and are easily influenced by evil.

12. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gun control only takes guns out of the hands of the law abiding citizens. Chicago and D.C. have extremely strict gun control laws. How is it working out for them?:tonofbricks:

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your first statement "as is." What I mean is that I may agree with you depending on what you mean by "gun control." I don't think that bad people should have guns, but I have no problem with owning guns myself. Likewise, I don't think that irresponsible divers should drive cars, but I don't have a problem with being able to drive myself. (A little light hearted, but seriously....it depends on what you mean by "gun control."

I disagree entirely with your last statement. It is unbiblcial to place the church in the role of supporting such movements. Individual Christians...perhaps....but the Church (or local congregation)? Absolutely not - that is not its purpose.

14. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to all who have weighed in ... now let me share my view on control. As a believer, I too have what the liberal left would call an arsenal, with enough ammo to hold off a small band of bad guys.

I also believe that guns are not the problem, and that taking guns from our hands would not accomplish much as those who really want a gun will in fact, find an avenue to pursue and purchase guns and ammo and end up committing the evil their mind sets itself upon to inflict on mankind ... :praying:

Plus it is maybe my paranoia, but should the government take our guns, that leaves only the military and law enforcement with guns, and should one or both of those groups decide to rule the unarmed public, we only have sticks and stones to put down tryanny.

So it is probably more sensible that responsible folks without a "heart" condition maintain the right to bear arms. There will always be the fringe nut jobs in society. And those wing-nuts transcend color barriers, so we do our best to pray and teach love and forgiveness, and hope that those things prevail in moments like we've sadly witnessed at Sandyhook, Ft. Hood, Virginia Tech, Columbine, and so many more places in the last decade.

Shalom! :praying:

15. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Jesus stated:

Luke 22 does say this.

35 "And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
    36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end."

So Jesus said we are to protect ourselves and to purchase a means to do that! Gun control says to the honest law abiding citizen we don't trust you to handle it correctly. The law abiding citizen knows how to handle a weapon and will use it properly so why do you need to control it?

Should we create laws to control who can own an automobile because people get road rage or get the wheel under the influence?

Should we try to control knives and those sales because someone attacks people with a knife and kills them?

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, where does regulation stop? Great point! When does the world begin to hold mankind and evil acts responsible?

17. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

No. No...............

18. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

1. No
    2. No

19. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No! Not just "no", but [Gehenna] NO!

Only if you mean using two hands.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever since Columbine I think that socalled "gun control" is not the answer at all. Aside from just plain violent folks --there are individuals who are psychologically off. They have had sessions with therapists. Friends, family members, even strangers may have spoken to others about these folks. Police may have been contacted. The family doctor may be aware. But because of the PC culture we are afraid to take preventable action. It's got to start there. No more PC when lives could be in jeopardy. Sandy Hook nailed it shut for me. Then the Colorado theater horror. This needs to be addressed.

But what about privacy issues? I'm sorry. That has to take a backseat.