1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ascension vs. Quo Vadis, Acts 25:19

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

I understand that, according to Christian tradition, the Messiah ascended into heaven after his resurrection. Scholars and sources would seem to place the ascension between 3 days and 18 months after the resurrection.

However, the Messiah appeared to Paul on the road to Damascus several years after the resurrection (Acts ). And Paul is reported to have still held that the Messiah was alive in 59/60 CE when he was imprisoned in Jerusalem (Acts 25:19). And, according to the enduring Quo Vadis tradition, the Messiah appeared to Peter outside of Rome in 67 CE when Peter and Paul were executed by Nero.

So, the Messiah kept appearing to people, who held that he was quite alive, for at least 30 years after the resurrection. But, how can that be if the Messiah was already ascended into heaven at that point?

2. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Jesus assended 40 days after easter

Ac 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

As for being seen,

Stephen saw him at the right hand of the father in heaven.

And Paul saw a vision from heaven

Acts 26
    13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.