1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ashamed of being a Baptist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many churches are using "Bible", "Christian", ect instead of Baptist.
    Many individuals don't like to tell folks they are a Baptist.

Is it a matter of being as ashamed or what?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your church name include "Christian"? If it doesn't, does it mean you are ashamed of being a Christian?

Does it use the name "Bible" or are you ashamed of being a Bible believer?

Just because someone doesn't include the name doesn't mean they're ashamed.

3. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Not just churches, either. Piedmont Baptist College changed their name to take out the name Baptist and it is now Piedmont International University, I believe. Supposedly, Baptist in the name was hampering recruiting in other countries that have a dim view of Baptists. Say, like Muslims. Is it all about numbers now? Or do they gave a valid point? Granted, you don't have to have Baptist in your name to be Baptist, but I would like to see if their doctrine changes over the next few years.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I don't think it's necessarily a being ashamed as Tom pointed out. I do , however, believe that a lot of Churches are being salted instead of salting. They feel as though they have to put on a certain face in order to appeal to more people and "grow" the Church and thus all these new names.

I do wonder if they realize that growing the church or what have you is not necessarily growing God's Kingdom?

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, they used to be Piedmont Bible - then changed it to Piedmont Baptist. Wondering - didn't Spurgeon Bap Bible merge with PBC- if so, is that the reason Piedmont became P-baptist C?

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would also point out that being a "baptist" is not our highest calling, or our primary descriptor.

If we believe that believing the Gospel is more important than being baptized...shouldn't we call our church "Gospel Church" or something like that?

I would say the name doesn't really matter that much...and if it is an obvious turn-off that is not necessary why not drop it?

Good example: Nobody is going to start a "Church of the Crusaders" in Saudi Arabia.

7. Bronconagurski

Yep, and we can change his name to John the Immersion Technician, and we can call the ordinance Dunked. :)

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our baptist church was co founded by ex catholic, many members also came out from the RCC...

We did our name for "practical reasons" as many catholics and others here in this part of detroit have hang ups with the label of being 'baptist"...

If they talk with the pastors and members, would find out soon enough are baptists!

9. timf

timf Member

I imagine some are ashamed.

Most everyone is familiar with the medical test called MRI. Not everyone knows that this process started out as NMRI. The world "nuclear" was removed because it made people think they were getting exposed to radioactive material.

There can be many reasons for wanting to change a name. Being ashamed is one reason, not wanting to spook the cattle is another reason. If we adopt the name "Holistic House of Inner Enlightenment", we may have gone too far in pandering to those who have no interest in truth.

10. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Perhaps we should ask "Why does it matter to us? If we are proud to be Baptists, then there is that pride problem.

In some cases, the Baptist name reflects an image of someone feeling they are superior to other Christians. I suspect this may be the reason for some of the name changes.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We live in a time of increasing post-denominationalism. People don't care for, or understand the differences between Christian groups.

Likewise, many of us who have dropped "Baptist" from our moniker have done so for profound missiological reasons. I was going to say something about we're Christians first but 12strings beat me to it:

This is really good stuff. :thumbsup:

Just because a church like mine has dropped "Baptist" from our moniker (and grew tremendously over the following 10 years) doesn't mean we are engaging in false advertising or ashamed of our Baptist distinctives. Any new member going through our new members class will learn about both. Also, we talk very publicly about giving to the Cooperative Program and the annual missions offerings for the SBC. We love our Baptist distinctives but aren't tied to moniker.

However, there are some things about Baptists that we don't care to be associated with and I'll be the first one to defend a church who make a decision based, in part, on this reason. Its a 1 Corinthians 9:22 thing for me.

It should be a point of pride, imho, that the vast majority of new church starts in the US and across the world utilize Baptist polity and doctrine in their beliefs. As a historical note, there have always been Baptist churches without the name "Baptist" in their title. Having "Baptist" is mostly a western thing anyways.

12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Are Catholic churches changing their names?
    Are Morman churches changing their names?
    Are Jehovah Witness Kingdom Halls changing their names?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I matters to me because if "Baptist" is not on the sign, I will not be going in.

14. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, I'm a Baptist because I believe they have the "right" doctrine, beliefs, practices, etc. I believe Baptists have Biblical Christianity right. So, yes, I am proud to be a Baptist. I don't feel the need to apologize for being a Baptist, nor try to hide that fact. As my old preacher from childhood used to say "It MATTERS what you believe."

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if you were asked to speak at say "The Open door' while Dr vernon Magee was alive, would refuse?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aren't we Christians first and primary, who attend Baptist churches though?

IF NO Baptist church in your city, what then?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I doubt that I would be asked to speak anywhere. :tongue3:

I'm talking about being able to spot a Baptist Church if I were looking for one.

18. Bronconagurski

Plant one. :)

19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I'm a Christian FIRST, but as I said, I believe Baptists have Biblical Christianity right, so that's why I am a Baptist. If there were no Baptist churches in my city, I'd drive to where there was one. Frankly, I've never seen a city, or even a small town, that didn't have a Baptist church within driving distance.

I've attended non-Baptist churches, but I've not always agreed with their doctrine. At a Baptist church (at least all the ones I've been to) I know what their beleifs are and I'm in agreement.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there could be Free Will , cal, or Full Gospel Baptist churches in a city!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.