1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ask Jesus into your heart

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by massdak, Jun 23, 2004.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

is this a wrong method?
    should preachers or Christians lead people in a sinners prayer and to tell them to ask Jesus into thier heart?

here is one preacher who regrets a famous sermon he once preached>>>

http://www.straightistheway.com/warning/Munger/robert_munger.html

does anyone see a problem with this type of gospel call?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't think it's the wrong method, but I think putting all of one's salvific eggs in one basket is not what the overall Gospel is calling for.

3. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think it's the wrong method, but I think putting all of one's salvific eggs in one basket is not what the overall Gospel is calling for. </font>[/QUOTE]ones salvific eggs in one basket???????????????

what????????????

i do not understand what you mean here.

did you read this guys site???

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Massdak, I read the article. A lot of food for discussion is there. Interestingly enough, I have the booklet, "My Heart Christ's Home" which was given to me several years ago by a teen in a youth group where I spoke, but I never read it. I did not realize it was a sermon.

I had often wondered where the idea of "ask Jesus into your heart" came from since I did not see it in the Bible.

I can see the point of the article but I think he goes too far the other way in some cases. For example, he says preachers should preach the law and that since the law convicts of sin, we are led to Christ that way. But those things were said only to the Jews. The Gentiles did not have or know the law (Rom. 2) though it's written on their hearts, but that is not the same thing as when the Jews knew the law. So I am not sure about his point on that.

I never use the "ask Jesus into your heart" for people. I have quoted Rev 3.20 and I realize it was said to a church, but I like to use it to point out the personal relationship one has with Christ when one believes on Him. Maybe that is not a completely correct thing, but I don't think it is all that out of context to use it that way.

What bothers me about the "ask Jesus into your heart" is that it can become a formula, which this article points out, and people can think when they pray it they are then saved by praying. I think the prayer could be said after belief has occurred, not as a means of salvation, although I would not tell someone to pray and ask Jesus "to come into your heart." What I say is more along the lines of, "You must believe in Jesus and turn your life over to Him," (this is after discussion of who Jesus is, why we need him, etc. and if the person is asking or is believing."

I do not know about the article's assertion that Jesus is not in our hearts. I know literally He is not, but didin't He say he would be with us and not forsake us? Because He is in heaven, does that mean He cannot be with us??

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Children can be more confused than any when you tell them to "open up your heart and ask Jesus in".

6. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

the paradox is He is with us yet at the right hand of the Father. the many mystery's of God.

do you believe that receiving Christ is a passive condition or do you believe it is a proactive condition?

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

"Ask Jesus into your heart", is as good a phrase as any, if you know what it means. I, myself, said something along the lines of, "Jesus, will you come into my heart and be my Lord and Saviour?" Serious question follows, "Was I not saved at the end of that simple prayer?" I'm serious. If y'all know something I don't and can convince me of it, I will be eternally grateful, literally.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember hearing that phrase all the time as a child. I don't remember being confused by it, but then I was the daughter of a Sunday School teacher and I guess I had a better chance at understanding.

In my work with children these days, I say "Ask Jesus to let His puninshment count for you." and "have God make you His child." More literal.

9. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

it depends, do you think that all who say a sincere simple prayer for salvation that it will save them?
    it is faith in Christ trusting in His finished work on the cross that is salvation, do you look back at your profession for salvation, or do you rely on Christ?
    if you listen to testimony's of salvation many will say they are saved due to responding in sincerity to an altar call, or being led in the sinners prayer, but it all must boil down to what they are believing in or in whom. it is revealing that many tell of their experience, yet it is void of in whom they have believed.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Simply saying a prayer doesn't save a person. What saves us is when we begin having a relationship with Jesus. Although, saying a prayer may put us on that road, it is not a cure-all (this is what I was referring to earlier when I said we should not put all our salvific eggs in one basket).

11. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Simply saying a prayer doesn't save a person. What saves us is when we begin having a relationship with Jesus. Although, saying a prayer may put us on that road, it is not a cure-all (this is what I was referring to earlier when I said we should not put all our salvific eggs in one basket).
    </font>[/QUOTE]a person trying to have a relationship with Jesus in order to be saved is not being saved.
    a person can only have a relationship once he is truly born again. please read my previous post

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't disagree with that in the slightest. One cannot have a relationship with the Lord until one is born again.

Also, one cannot "try" to have a realtionship with the Lord. One either has one or doesn't have one. Not all saved peoples' relationsips with the Lord are the same as each other, but all saved people have a relationship with Him.

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

"It" being a prayer, no. That would be like some sort of magical incantation invoking mystical powers. However, my simple prayer of asking Jesus to be MY Savior and whatever else He says goes along with that (He's the Lord, He gets to do that), seems to be sufficient. A sincere simple prayer isn't the "heart" of salvation but it is the method.

14. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't disagree with that in the slightest. One cannot have a relationship with the Lord until one is born again.

Also, one cannot "try" to have a realtionship with the Lord. One either has one or doesn't have one. Not all saved peoples' relationsips with the Lord are the same as each other, but all saved people have a relationship with Him.
    </font>[/QUOTE]i can agree with that statement, but i would need for you to define what you mean by not all relationships being the same to the Lord?

15. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

"It" being a prayer, no. That would be like some sort of magical incantation invoking mystical powers. However, my simple prayer of asking Jesus to be MY Savior and whatever else He says goes along with that (He's the Lord, He gets to do that), seems to be sufficient. A sincere simple prayer isn't the "heart" of salvation but it is the method. </font>[/QUOTE]i do not see it as a method but a result

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No two Christians have the same life's experiences. Hence, no two people have the exact same "type" of relationship with the Lord. Also, the longer one's walk with the Lord, the more that relationship with Him changes and develops. Much like one's relationship with a parent or spouse changes over time and with life's experiences.

17. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

all i know is that i now have to thank the Lord for my many years of unrest, if i had to depend on my own strength to have assurance of salvation then it would be a lost cause, i could not hold to arminian doctrine and i am thankful that i found no comfort in it, this is why i know that salvation is of the Lord and when i was without strength He saved me. the altar calls and the unbiblical methods of mans plans are a lost cause. this man that wrote about asking Jesus into your heart has seen the error in it.
    if i was deceived into believing in mans own strength to make things right with God i would sure like to know the truth and that only comes by the word of God.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No disrespect intended, but, don't ask us what we know. Look at the Bible and see where any of the Apostles or any member of the early church told someone to "just ask him into your heart, and he will come into your heart". If it's not there, forget about using it.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Posted by Massdak:
    I am not sure but I tend to think it is both. I think we are drawn to Christ but also must believe. Looking back on when I was saved, I still can't answer though I know for sure God drew me to Christ. But I knew about Christ before and had rejected him (as a Savior).

I did not pray when I was saved -- I simply turned my life over to Christ after reading a passage in Matthew 8. It's a long story -- on my site under "Marcia's story."

I think if the prayer is said with faith in Christ having come before or as something that triggers the prayer, a prayer is okay. But it seems that too often people may see the prayer as the means of being saved and think they are saved when they say it when they really are not saved.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said to those He called to come follow Him. I think scripture talks about counting the cost. People must be reminded and told about the cost of following Jesus not come forward and go to heaven.