1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assault Weapons Ban?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by DeclareHim, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

AMEN!

Too bad some people here will never understand this truth. One of our biggest potential enemies is a tyrannical government.

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

And I always thought they were supposed to be public servants, not "rule the people". [​IMG]

3. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

I shot an Ak-47 once, I thought it was fairly smooth since the bolt was so long. Really enjoyed fireing it. None the less I agree that this ban only baned quote un quote "Scary guns".

I was planning on getting an SVD Dragunov, I hear they were really accurate for semi auto rifles. I have pretty good aim, I got 3rd out of 1000 people in a rifle shooting contest. so support guns, but more importantly gun safety. Ban only hurts the innocent 99.9% of the time.

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

WOW I didn't know there were so many gun hobbyist on this board. Thanks for all the input. I wanted to build a sten gun from the kit I thought it would be fun to shoot. 9mm ammo is also cheap.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

DeclareHim,

If you like the idea of a lightweight (4Lbs) 9mm or 40 S&W rifle check out this link.

GUNBLAST

I've have one in 9mm and have not had any problems with it. The only complaint I have is the safety is alitte awkward to reach with my thumb. But with practice it becomes easier to work.

I added a pachmayer rubber slip on grip with finger grooves. Helps in rapid fire mode. :D

At 50 yards with my handloads I can keep five shots in three inches from a sandbag rest. It spreads out at 100 yards and drops about a foot but is still accurate enough to knock over steel plates or coffee cans.

They run about 300 bucks, so it doesn't take a big bite out of the paycheck. My Daughter loves to shoot it too.

So far my best luck with handloads has been with 5.4 grains of unique under Sierra 115 grain hollowpoints #8110 and cci primers.

The 9mm uses 10 round Glock 17 mags and are very fast to change, hit the button and they drop out freely.

Here is the Kel-Tec homepage.

Kel-Tec

6. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Looks that way, on this particular bill. That, of course would be the GOP as a whole, not GW Bush, who said that he was in favor of the ban and would sign it.

7. Pennsylvania Jim

Dianetavegia,

You posted a blatant untruth about Mr. Peroutka. Do you have any comment, or did you do it intentionally, hoping folks would believe it?

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

And I always thought they were supposed to be public servants, not "rule the people". [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]A public servant doesn't have the right to kill others. Sorry Net, spend a little more time in the Bible and less time in the peroutka conspiracy theories.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, DD, you believe that government should be a dictatorship. I do not and will oppose people with your political beliefs until the day I die.

10. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

And I always thought they were supposed to be public servants, not "rule the people". [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]A public servant doesn't have the right to kill others. Sorry Net, spend a little more time in the Bible and less time in the peroutka conspiracy theories. </font>[/QUOTE]Huh? Did I say anything about public servants having a right to kill others? I don't think I mentioned anything about Peroutka either. You have to be the strangest individual on the entire board, you seem to fight, argue and belittle everyone on every thread.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So Ken, I am curious about that God-given right to bear arms. Where did God talk about that right? I am not disputing we have the right to bear arms. I just wonder where God said anything about it. Can you argue this position for us?

12. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Didn't he one time tell someone to sell their robe and buy a sword?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A short answer will not suffice for such a philosophical answer and I don't have time to write a multi-page reply. So here's a short essay on the theoretical basis for the U.S. constitution -

www.geocities.com/bigmike_75/essays/philosophy/political/locke.html

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I have to say Ken that I find nothing in that essay that affirms that God gave us the right to bear arms. I think we run a dangerous road when we attribute things to God that God did not say. I believe personal property is a right given by God by virtue of hte clear testimony of Scripture. (The prohibition of theft means you have a right to something someone else does not have.) We have a God-given right to marry. We have many biblically defined God-given rights. But the right to bear arms seems absent from the Scriptures.

You might argue a philosophical position (as you suggest above), but remember that philosophy is not the same as revelation from God. Philosophy constructed by the finite mind of fallen man is not foolproof. God's revelation is. I would suggest that using God's name to affirm something God did not actually affirm is a violation fo the third commandment against the vain use of God's name. I think we should probably stay away from that.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A gun is personal property.

Sounds like you disagree with the very basis on which these United States were founded.

16. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ken, um, you do realize the constitution isn't inspired, right?

I am as progun as anyone on this board. That isn't the issue. Net, great verse to support the idea of carrying/owning a deadly weapon. However, that isn't the same thing as saying it is a God given right. In other words, God approves of that, but never made it a right. God approves of marriage, but it isn't a right.

Also Net, lemme help ya out. I said the government has the right to rule over people. You countered by saying they were "public servants". I countered by saying that mere public servants don't kill. The government has the right to take a person's life. Therefore, they have power over you. Besides, what more needs to be said about Michelle Peroutka. He couldn't even win against his wife as the best defender of their home.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

"...Exodus 22:2-3 tells us "If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed. If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution; if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft."

One conclusion which can be drawn from this is that a threat to our life is to be met with lethal force. After the sun has risen seems to refer to a different judgment than the one permitted at night. At night it is more difficult to discern whether the intruder is a thief or a murderer. Furthermore, the nighttime makes it more difficult to defend oneself and to avoid killing the thief at the same time. During the daytime, it better be clear that one's life was in danger, otherwise, defense becomes vengeance, and that belongs in the hand of the magistrate.

In Proverbs 25:26 we read that "A righteous man who falters before the wicked is like a murky spring and a polluted well." Certainly, we would be faltering before the wicked if we chose to be unarmed and unable to resist an assailant who might be threatening our life. In other words, we have no right to hand over our life which is a gift from God to the unrighteous. It is a serious mistake to equate a civilized society with one in which the decent people are doormats for the evil to trample on.

...The Bible records the first murder in Genesis 4 when Cain killed his brother Abel. God's response was not to register rocks or impose a background check on those getting a plough, or whatever it was that Cain used to kill his brother. Instead, God dealt with the criminal. Ever since Noah the penalty for murder has been death.

We see the refusal to accept this principle that God has given us from the very beginning. Today we see a growing acceptance of the idea that checking the criminal backgrounds of gun buyers will lessen crime but we should seldom execute those who are guilty of murder.

In Matthew 15 (and in Mark 7) Christ accused the religious leaders of the day of also opposing the execution of those deserving of death -- rebellious teenagers. They had replaced the commandments of God with their own traditions. God has never been interested in controlling the means of violence. He has always made it a point to punish, and where possible, restore (as with restitution and excommunication) the wrongdoer. Control of individuals is to be left to self-government. Punishment of individuals by the civil government is to be carried out when self-government breaks down.

Man's wisdom today has been to declare gun free school zones which are invaded by gun-toting teenage terrorists whom we refuse to execute. We seem to have learned little from Christ's rebuke of the Pharisees.

Nowhere in the Bible does God make any provision for dealing with the instruments of crime. He always focuses on the consequences for an individual of his actions. Heaven and hell only applies to people, not to things. Responsibility only pertains to people, not to things. If this principle, which was deeply embedded in the common law, still pertained today lawsuits against gun manufacturers would be thrown out unless the product malfunctioned.

... SOURCE

18. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

PJ, the issue is whether or not it is a God given right to own a gun. Right right right right. Got it? A right. Is it a RIGHT?

The answer is no.

I believe a person should have a gun, but it isn't a right.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is a right, DD. You really need to read the U.S. constitution.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Now this right didn't come from government. It is a right "of the people". Therefore, it either came from the Creator - God, or else if you believe in atheistic evolution, Daniel David, then you must believe it is a natural right purely from evolution. Those are your only two choices, DD.

20. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The right wasn't given by God Ken. Get a clue. Stop trying to use logic Ken. You are only embarrassing yourself.

We have a right to self defense. We don't have a right to a gun. It just so happens our government allows them.

People in other countries don't have a God given right to a gun Ken.