1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Association of Convictional Baptists

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts about the following?

The Fifth Century Initiative

Baptists embark upon their fifth century of modern existence beginning in 2009.1 Seventeenth-century Baptists asserted several New Testament precepts that we can isolate as the distinctive tenets of Baptist identity. These concepts coalesced for the seventeenth-century Baptists into a prescription of interconnected propositions for congregational reformation.

Four centuries have nearly elapsed. As the fifth century of modern Baptist existence dawns, the key New Testament precepts that define us have recently waned in influence and support even among Southern Baptists. We are forgetting who we are—who Christ has called us to be. At a moment when we once again need spiritual awakening and reformation, the New Testament prescription that served so well in the seventeenth century beckons us again.

An initiative is in order to place before God’s people once again a vision for renewing the New Testament foundation of our congregations. Several tasks await faithful Baptists who would pursue this end:

1. The Restoration of Biblical Literacy: None of the initiatives stipulated in this document are feasible in their fullest sense apart from a concerted campaign to acquaint the Southern Baptist people with the sacred text. Southern Baptists must develop strategies for pursuing biblical literacy among our members.

2. The Pursuit of the Great Commission: New Testament congregations are a construct universally relevant to all people, cultures, and ages. Southern Baptist congregations must visit afresh the Divine imperative to reproduce themselves throughout the world, embracing new opportunities to engage the task with greater vigor than ever before.

3. The Proclamation of the Gospel: Southern Baptists must regain a confidence in the power of the gospel to win the lost and transform their lives. A confidence in the converting power of the gospel is in many ways the theological premise underlying the entirety of the Baptist vision.
    4. The Recovery of Regenerate Church Membership: Southern Baptists must restrict membership to visible saints.

5. The Defense of Believer’s Immersion: Troubling signs of erosion have appeared on the bedrock of Baptist belief—the ordinance of believer’s immersion. Southern Baptists must assert not only the biblical certainty of this doctrine, but its biblical importance. Christian immersion is the nonnegotiable initial act of obedience for every Christian disciple.

6. The Development of an Updated Southern Baptist Church Covenant: Many issues have emerged in the past century to pose new challenges to congregations. An updated covenant would greatly assist in recalling Southern Baptists to covenantal accountability as foundational to congregational life.

7. The Renewed Exercise of Biblical Church Discipline: Significant work has been done to commend to Southern Baptists the biblical mandate for church discipline and to provide practical guidance for the recovery of church discipline in lapsed churches. Building upon this work, the Southern Baptist Convention must assert these reforms not merely as one way to “do church” but as the New Testament model for mutual accountability among Christians.

8. The Rehabilitation of Congregational Church Polity2: Baptist polity has far too often degenerated into the unholy pursuit of personal agendas. After an embarrassing hiatus, Southern Baptists have found once again the New Testament basis for congregational church governance. Now practical guidance is needed to demonstrate how to restore the Lordship of Christ in the midst of congregational church governance.

9. The Mobilization of the Universal Priesthood: As Southern Baptists contemplate what it means to be “missional” in North America, we do well to consider one of the most robust New Testament doctrines for missional mobilization—the recognition of all believers as members of a universal Christian priesthood with responsibilities for spiritual service. If the members of the congregation are all regenerate, then all are obligated to participate in the congregation’s mission.

10. The Revitalization of Cooperative Association: Pragmatism and an inappropriate competitive spirit have sometimes marred relationships between sister congregations. Also, the waning of Baptist identity has diluted the fraternal doctrinal accountability that has historically marked the relationship between churches in their associative bodies. Southern Baptists need to recover a healthy cooperative life that encourages healthy congregational life.

http://www.convictionalbaptists.org/

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Why limit all of this to Southern Baptists? It seems to me that there is much here that Baptists of many stripes could work with.

I am especially attracted to the notion of recovering congregational polity. I teach Baptist Polity at a seminary, and work with students who come from various "pastor-as-king" models, or the Full Gospel neo-episcopacy.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well look, it was created by Southern Baptists. But that doesn't limit it.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would suggest that if number two were strong the rest would be taken care of.

While the text looks great, now get it done. That is where the proof is.

We are watching those who wrote the text of that document to see how they make disciples and get the task done.

I have had many discussions with those who are discipling others and they do not have any answers on how to get the job done with 100% certainty within the church today as it is exists. Before I pastored I had already discipled many. While I pastored I had to deal with the antagonists, dreamers and "experts" who were not making disciples. Once I stopped pastoring I was able to disciple more in ways far more effective because I was not paid and they saw what I did.