1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Astronomy/Telescopes

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SolaSaint, Mar 19, 2014.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Anyone on the BB into Astronomy or have a Telescope? I'm thinking about purchasing one. Any suggestions?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We had one but the kids knocked it over one too many times and it broke. :( I LOVED having it and I found that *I* was the one always using it! :)

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

4. SolaSaint

I guess your icon says it all...lol

I know nothing at all about telescopes. I'm the kind of guy who will research this for a year before I buy one. I'm thinking about @1,000.00. I'm impressed with a 10" Dobsonian right now, but again I'm just beginning my research. How is your 5", can you see a lot with it? Not sure what Messier means. I will check out you link. Thanks

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

You can see a LOT with a 10" Dobsonian, I was going to recommend a Dobsonian to you, although maybe not quite so big. A 6" might be better, a 10" is very large and difficult to move around.

You want a telescope that is easy to set up. If it is big and heavy, or complicated to set up, you won't use it. A very experienced astronomer told me this when I was a kid, and he was correct.

So, a small Dob might be better, or even a spotting scope. That is what I use.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestr...e-52268-op-90mm-spotting-scope-with-trip.html

A spotting scope like this on a good tripod is very versatile. You can set it up in moments to look at the moon or planets, or objects like the Messier objects I showed. It can also be used to look at nature or wildlife. You want to make sure to get a very good tripod that is solid and doesn't shake, super important.

Also, power means nothing in telescopes, don't fall for this 400 power stuff. Most astronomy uses less than 100 power. It is light gathering that counts in astronomy, that is why the bigger the scope, the better, except that big scopes are very heavy and difficult to move about. So, a medium size scope is often much better.

It is actually very difficult to observe at high power, the object will move out of your field of view quickly. Use low power for excellent views. Most of the famous photos you see were taken with less than 100 power.

6. SolaSaint

Awesome info Winman, probably makes sense to stay on the small side and if I get hooked then go bigger.

Thanks