1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atheists and Liberals better than evangelicals

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is full of people like you who want to control people's lives in the smallest of details and spend more time judging them than loving them.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The more "fundamentalist" the less educated.

Independent Baptists and Tongue talkers are the least educated people in America according to this pew poll.

Look at those with a college degree. The liberal Episcopal Church has the highest percentage at 30%. Second to that is the mainline Anglican Church. Then PCUSA at 23%, United Church of Christ, United Methodist at 21% and PCA is tied with Evangelical Lutheran and Nondenominational undamentalist churches at 19%. Southern Baptists are at 14%. Independent Baptists are at 11%. The lowest is Church of God in Cleveland at 4% followed by Black Independent Baptists at 5% then at 8% are the Assemblies of God. http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/table-education-by-denomination.pdf

Except for the Presbyterian Church of America there is no other evangelical denomination that has close to 20% of its members with a college degree.

Other than black Protestant and Hispanic Catholic, White Evangelical is the poorest educated of all the groups in the following study. Can you guess who the best educated is? Atheists.
    http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise-demographics/

Sad.

#22 Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Aren't you judging ME right here?

Physician heal thyself.

#23 Luke2427, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Not better than being a real Christian. As Rev. Mitchell pointed out, very committed Christians have much better stats.

The sad fact is that most "Christians" on our rolls are not even remotely committed and feel perfectly comfortable on our rolls.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh...now we come too the heart of the matter. What does a church need to dispense with tired and lazy church service, the constant berating of doctrines and dogma, the kumbaya my lord feel good foolishness....the constant harping of pastors who always preach sermons on what you need to do to get to heaven. Its always head knowledge and rarely about going out to someone. See the world is no longer going to listen to that....not when they are having a tough time of it. See the church today isn't conserned with peoples struggles....so people are turning their backs on them.

For most people today the question is not, is there life on the other side of death --- and that might be your reference point to atheism. It is rather, " Is there life on this side of death." Mark my words, the world does not need your dogma and giant churches. It is tired of that....but it will believe love. It willbelieve life that is given and received.

So I applaud your street initiatives.....but you must church encourage participation from your congregation....otherwise its a dead church.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You quoted Mitchell but it sounds like you are talking to me.

Are you talking about me and my church?

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am talking to all of ya. Look I know both you guys are trying....however its a loosing fight until you get people out there building bridges with the community. The pew sitters are not taking scripture seriously until they act & get out there & help someone. That should be, must be one of your primary concerns with building a healthy church. I don't depreciate education.....I'm an educated man myself but WOW, to stress head knowledge at the behest of taking action & displaying Christianity in the field & to the public.....Its not happening gentlemen.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have touched on reasons I am very much in favor of small churches. Real love is possible in small churches. Small churches can develop a real feeling of family. People cannot hide and simply sit in a small church as everyone is needed. People in small churches really get to know each other and, at least in my experience, much more likely to step in and help others in the church who are in real need. Hurrah for the small church!

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't think you used the word "behest" properly.

If what you meant was that I am stressing head knowledge above taking action in the community- you are wrong. I do not do that.

But, the better educated the congregation the more it can do for its community.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id say "Orrah" but I tend to agree with you...... I call it "The Mustard Seed Approach" to church. Thanks for sharing.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define education? You mean college degreed? My father built a factory plant here in 1957 with a HS Edu. How about painting a house....does it take allot of education for that as well? How bout shoveling the elderly out after a snow storm, or bringing an old lady to the supermarket cause she cant get outa the house? How bout taking kids out to a ballgame, cutting somebody's lawn, visiting shut-ins.....how much education does that take?

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Your father, was he a Christian? Did your father encourage you to get an education? You are educated, right?

If yes on all three accounts, then you prove my point.

Christianity should be better at raising kids than Atheism.

It is apparent that the last few generations of Christians have not been better than atheists at raising their children- by and large.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you seriously consider the majority of people going to church Christian? I would say no. When I was assaulted by the HS, it was for being a False Christian.....not a real one. And here ya go .... I went to church every Sunday. And I told myself I was a Christian.....when in fact I was an unbeliever.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The more conservative; the more ignorant?
    Where does that put you on this scale?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh well you know......he is the exception to the rule.:rolleyes:

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

More like, the more educated, the more arrogant....

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why?

Why is that so?

What a horrible thing to say.

Let's all remain stupid so that we are not like people who make us feel insecure about our stupidity.

Here's an idea. Why don't we ADMIT that we are failing and seek for ways to CHANGE.

HEY!! THERE'S A NOVEL IDEA!!

Because arrogance is not getting an education.

Arrogance is thinking you are so smart you don't need one.

That is arrogance in the highest degree.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lack of a college degree does not make one stupid.

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The stats also showed that the more fundamentalist the denomination the lower the percentage of high school graduates.

Atheists are beating the socks off of all Christians but ESPECIALLY fundamentalists in pursuing and OBTAINING education.

I'm not happy about it.

I'm saying you never get treated for sickness you don't think you have.

You are like the prophets in Jeremiah's day who cry, "Peace!" when there is no peace.

You don't want to acknowledge that Christianity, especially fundamentalist Christianity, has very serious problems that are leading more and more people to atheism every year.

You are fighting tooth and nail to keep folks from seeing the need to do something about it.

Why- I wonder?

Why do you want people to keep their heads in the sand?

Why can't you say, "God help us! We have got to change the culture of American Christianity- especially in fundamental and evangelical circles"?

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir you have me wrong. It is not that I know it and do not want to acknowledge it, it is that I know there is not a problem here. Jesus used the uneducated. You sir place to much stock in the wrong things. You claim to hold to the sovereignty of God but blame the church for more atheists. Where is God in all of this based on your view of the sovereignty of God. I say your position on this is in conflict with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.