1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Atheros WiFi drivers

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by superdave, May 2, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

Anybody know where I can get drivers for an Atheros mini pci wireless a/b/g card? Its based on the 5001x chipset

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm guessing Dave, but from their website it seems that Atheros designs chipsets, but does not sell wireless cards. The card is probably made by another manufacturer, and you would have to get the driver from them. Is there any identifying numbers on the PCB?

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Yes,
    Atheros does not manufacture products for retail. This is a third party (some unidentifiable chinese outfit) card for OEMs to put in laptops. It is based on the Atheros 5001X chipset (ar5211,5212) I can get the drivers to recognize the card, it is enabled, but the troubleshooter says the radio is disabled and to use the client utility to enable it. But in the client, the enable radio option is grayed out. I am shopping for a pcmcia version of the same chipset since I don't know the the mini-pci one is compatable with my laptop. Fujitsu is a little fuzzy on the compatibility.

I'll keep you posted. I also cannot get it to work in Linux, using either the ath_pci drivers or the madwifi drivers, thats why I am looking at the hardware. The card does work in another laptop.

I need a card with the atheros chipset so the 108mbps turbo mode will work with my router. Looking at netgear and cisco.

4. superdave

superdave New Member

Looks like its not the drivers, its the hardware. My Laptop doesn't support the particular flavor of mini-pci that the card uses. I am getting a pcmcia card with the same chipset, which I think will work just fine.