1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Atlanta Falcons kicker puts spotlight on Christ

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 27, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

With all the negative stuff in the news about sports players, it is refreshing to read something positive...

Atlanta Falcons kicker puts spotlight on Christ
    Dec 27, 2005
    By Luanne Byrd
    Baptist Press

ATLANTA (BP)--“I don’t have a game plan when I share my faith,” Todd Peterson, a kicker for the Atlanta Falcons, said. “If I act like Jesus, if I’m controlled by the Holy Spirit, and if God is the One who is empowering me, I don’t really have to have a game plan or a strategy for sharing. God will give me that opportunity.”

Team evangelism is quite familiar to this 12-year NFL veteran after previously playing for the Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers. Step aside from his field goal career stats that include an impressive number of long kicks and you’ll catch a glimpse of his much larger career focus -- sharing Christ with his teammates.

“It’s more than leading, it’s a serving capacity. My job on the team is to make sure that the guys are equipped, feel connected and are aware of what’s going on from a ministry standpoint,” said Peterson, who played college at the University of Georgia. “My wife and I have always felt that this is something we should spearhead because there are not many athletes in the NFL doing it. This is a role I have played for the bulk of my career.”

Peterson, his wife, Susan, their daughter, Hannah, and son, Zach, live in the Atlanta metro area, where they attend an evangelical church.

For remainder of article:
    http://www.baptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=22357

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

It's always good to hear athletes giving credit to Christ.